Random Music Talk CXXVIII: Cobbler's 42 Hat Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I fucking love the Karen O and Willie Nelson cover of Queen and Bowie's "Under Pressure" that came out a couple months ago. Wow. An unexpected delight.

I've been going through Sparklehorse's discography lately, having never heard anything from him before. Dreamt for Light Years in the Belly of a Mountain is one of the saddest records I have ever heard, and that's coming from someone who deliberately seeks out depressing music.

He feels part of a vein of artists also including David Berman and Daniel Johnston (though he did not die of suicide) who were decidedly adjacent but not part of the mainstream, hugely influential to many mainstream artists, whose music is often described as wistful and deeply sad, who also struggled a lot with mental health issues.

He feels part of a vein of artists also including David Berman and Daniel Johnston (though he did not die of suicide) who were decidedly adjacent but not part of the mainstream, hugely influential to many mainstream artists, whose music is often described as wistful and deeply sad, who also struggled a lot with mental health issues.

Cobbz, I listened to Stankonia recently to celebrate the 20th anniversary and thought of you. Hope you're doing well, bro. I hope all of you are doing well. Happy early New Years, Interference friends. I hope you all have a great music year in 2021.

Thankful for the Mofo assault on the forum this morning!

Hope everyone has a great new year, even those of you in a fictional country who think you get to celebrate before everyone else.

I had a lot of red wine and MDMA, actually.

Cobbz, I listened to Stankonia recently to celebrate the 20th anniversary and thought of you. Hope you're doing well, bro. I hope all of you are doing well. Happy early New Years, Interference friends. I hope you all have a great music year in 2021.

:) thanks man, hope you're well too. I'm really good. :heart:

Great to see you around here, mofo.

Happy new year, internet friends. Hope you all had a nice and socially distant celebration.

New Year’s Day (long single version) has already been played this morning at the gump household. Never get tired of that bass line.

I hope you all have a healthy and safe year. Thanks for staying active on the board and keeping things fun, even pulling off a great Desert Island.

New Year’s Day (long single version) has already been played this morning at the gump household. Never get tired of that bass line.

Was too hungover to play it yesterday, but just playing it now, and weirdly I just had a thought that I've never had before: the verses are way better than the chorus. The dark vibe in the verses is so dope with the bass and the piano and then the chorus is too uplifting.

It's no doubt just the mood I'm in, lacking serotonin, because the balance and the beauty of the chorus is part of what makes it great.

I hope you all have a healthy and safe year. Thanks for staying active on the board and keeping things fun, even pulling off a great Desert Island.

Have they actually certified the vote on that DI?!?

Was too hungover to play it yesterday, but just playing it now, and weirdly I just had a thought that I've never had before: the verses are way better than the chorus. The dark vibe in the verses is so dope with the bass and the piano and then the chorus is too uplifting.

It's no doubt just the mood I'm in, lacking serotonin, because the balance and the beauty of the chorus is part of what makes it great.

My hot take on New Year’s Day is that it really doesn’t fit in War musically. That is not a favorite record of mine, I’ll admit, and in my view it has aged really poorly. But New Year’s Day feels oddly modern musically compared to most of the album (40 remains pretty fresh for my ears). It doesn’t help that it follows Seconds, but I’m not sure where else you could place it?

The 33’ single is quite weird too. Side A is New Year’s Day long version and Whatever Happened to Pete the Chop, then you have live versions of Fire and A Day Without Me. It’s like they really wanted to showcase how different it was from everything else they had done since - including most of its own album!

Couple o’ thoughts (and I’m not NSW, so I can’t be assed to go back and link to the posts I’m responding to):

* Biden won! Yay. Now let’s see if these Republican tear waffles can stay out of their own damn way on the 6th.

* Serpentine Prison is stunning. The only fault it has is that it’s Matt’s album. He’s the worst thing about. He’s not bad, just ... rote?

* Laz isn’t on the streets, he IS the streets.

* I too have hit the place where very little new music excites me. I shall be boarding a ship for the undying lands soon. My journey here has ended.

Dalton! :love:

This has been one of my favorite discoveries of older music in recent times. Such a wonderful piece of dream pop.

Fishmans are fantastic. If you have a couple spare hours to listen to an album, check out their live album 98.12.28 Otokotachi no Wakare. The version of Long Season on there is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

Thanks for the recommendation, LM. Will definitely check it out. I really loved their sound. While fully in the genre, it felt very fresh, creative and even surprising at times. Great stuff.

Looks like Ariel Pink was at the Capitol yesterday. I wasn't ever a fan, but good to know.

I've been a fan for a decade now. That sucks.

Gonna have to add him to the "still listen to his shit but it's awkward and makes me feel like a traitor" list along with Kanye.

So I've been on a major dream pop and twee pop binge lately, and came across Sidney Gish. This song came up, and I couldn't stop thinking of Phoebe Bridgers' Garden Song.

The whole album - No Dogs Allowed - is pretty great, by the way.

Fishmans are fantastic. If you have a couple spare hours to listen to an album, check out their live album 98.12.28 Otokotachi no Wakare. The version of Long Season on there is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

That did not disappoint, LM. The whole album is great, but that 40-minute version of Long Season is sublime. Thanks a lot for recommending. It has an insane rating in RYM, and deservedly so. This will quickly join my lists of favorite. By the way, I didn’t realize the lead singer had passed away just a few months after this performance, which turned out to be his last. Damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom