Random Music Talk CXXVIII: Cobbler's 42 Hat Sucks - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 04:16 PM   #301
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:39 AM
Jack White on SNL was so good. His subtle tribute to EVH on Lazaretto while using the guitar EVH designed for him was sweet.

Old 10-11-2020, 05:13 PM   #302
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:39 AM
he was awesome. i don't know enough jack black songs aside from the big white stripes hits and i think i need to change that. megan thee stallion last week was dope too. two of the best musical guests they've had in a long time.

the rest of the episode was brutal. i don't understand how, with chris rock and bill burr hosting, and all the material they have to work with since the last season ended in the spring, this season could have started off so terribly aside from the musical guests. next week is justin bieber so that run is clearly over now too.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:02 PM   #303
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:39 AM
Jack White, Jack Black, Chris Rock, Chris Tucker
Old 10-11-2020, 08:02 PM   #304
Blue Crack Addict

lol yeah i need to listen to a lot more tenacious d, like i said
Old 10-11-2020, 11:32 PM   #305
45:33

Local Time: 12:39 AM
Is there are a better artist on the planet at writing gorgeous, beautifully meandering jams that seem to so perfectly encapsulate what it's like to be human with a racing mind seeking calm in a chaotic world than Kurt Vile? Particularly as spring slowly unfurls?

Bassackwards, Dandelions, Goldtone, Too Hard, Wakin on a Pretty Daze...
Old 10-12-2020, 11:42 AM   #306
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Random thought... anyone else think The Weeknd ripped off After the Disco?
Broken Bells....

Old 10-12-2020, 11:49 AM   #307
Blue Crack Addict

Which is a shame because Broken Bells is a top-20 product of the 2010s imo and I wish they said fuck U2 and fuck The Shins, we are a thing now.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:18 PM   #308
45:33

Listening to Passion Pit's Manners. I have SUCH strong memories and feelings associated with this album. I love how music can instantly transport you.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:30 AM   #309
Vocal parasite

Well this was an interesting discussion to catch up on. So that Cobbs doesn't look too bad, I only recognise the names of a few Van Halen songs as well. They had a cultural impact here, but not as big a one as America, and not one that passed to our generation that strongly.

I feel kinda bad saying this, but on the day EVH died, a few people on my social media timelines linked to various live solos and they were just... terrible. The worst was some 11-minute solo at a concert that was basically unlistenable, just a whole bunch of ear-piercing notes. Wow you can play quickly high up on the fretboard. Ooh you stuck your cigarette into the head of the guitar, cool man. If somebody had asked me to guess who was playing, I would've thought some clown like Yngwie Malmsteen.

Anyway, it probably says a lot about the circles I mix in that the main reaction to EVH's death was "holy shit he had Asian heritage? Wish I had known that back when I was getting bullied at school."

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-13-2020, 07:17 AM   #310
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

You should feel bad. Cross off Diplomat as a possible profession. I understand that you're not familiar with his work and you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but show some some sympathy for Eddie's fans mourning his loss.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:33 PM   #311
Blue Crack Addict

I love this message board.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:09 PM   #312
Blue Crack Supplier

Glad that the person whose opinion I valued least on this subject has chimed in.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:41 PM   #313
ONE
love, blood, life

Finally getting around to Angel Olsen's Whole New Mess. A lot of these songs sound really fucking good in these arrangements, particularly All Mirrors. The bones of that tune are excellent.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:55 AM   #314
Blue Crack Distributor

Nothing else matters, there's a new William Shatner album out.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:27 AM   #315
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Nothing else matters, there's a new William Shatner album out.
Does he cover Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters"?
Old 10-15-2020, 07:26 PM   #316
Blue Crack Distributor

No, but he does other such great classics like, Sunshine of Your Love and Mannish Boy.

It's William Shatner sings The Blues!
Old 10-16-2020, 07:05 AM   #317
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Glad that the person whose opinion I valued least on this subject has chimed in.
Yes, I too think you have never said a single worthwhile thing, glad you recognise it about yourself and thanks for posting.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-16-2020, 07:13 AM   #318
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
You should feel bad. Cross off Diplomat as a possible profession. I understand that you're not familiar with his work and you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but show some some sympathy for Eddie's fans mourning his loss.
Mate, your screen name is MrPryck2U. (perhaps should be laz's screen name)

What do you want me to do, pretend that I liked some Yngwie-esque ear-piercing notes? Point me to some actually good guitar work, or at least explain the appeal. It's days after, it's not like I rocked up during the breaking news period being all "lol he sucked". Hell, I took the time to listen to some clips and just expressed my somewhat uncomfortable feeling that they weren't quite what I expected given the effusive commentary.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-16-2020, 08:44 AM   #319
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Mate, your screen name is MrPryck2U. (perhaps should be laz's screen name)

What do you want me to do, pretend that I liked some Yngwie-esque ear-piercing notes? Point me to some actually good guitar work, or at least explain the appeal. It's days after, it's not like I rocked up during the breaking news period being all "lol he sucked". Hell, I took the time to listen to some clips and just expressed my somewhat uncomfortable feeling that they weren't quite what I expected given the effusive commentary.
For starters. if it sounds "Yngwie-esque", its cause Yngwie was influenced by EVH, not the other way around...so sometimes Yngwie sounds "Van Halen-esque"

https://metalheadzone.com/malmsteen-...die-van-halen/

Quote:
Malmsteen talked about how he was influenced by Eddie Van Halen, and said:

“I was 13 years old when that first fuckin’ album came out and it definitely caught my attention. Like I said, I wasn’t into guitar players back then; it was all about classical. But what I loved about them was the rawness of it all – no overdubs; they just went in and fucking did it.

He didn’t have a Floyd Rose for those early records; it was just a vintage Fender bridge. I found those kind of locking vibrato arms kills the sound of the guitar. I use vintage trems and float my bridges quite a bit – usually about 5mm up so you can pull up, but not the whole way. Eddie’s tone was great: just a 1959 Marshall all the way up and nothing turned down!”
Anyway, here's a couple of Eddie's instrumental pieces(aside from Eruption), maybe something different than you've heard:

Old 10-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #320
Blue Crack Addict

My album of the year is out.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7CzuB...TsmdMp8dnazKhw

Closed Thread