Random Music Talk CXXVIII: Cobbler's 42 Hat Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, which one of our resident bogans lives in Adelaide and was behind this:

‘Lie’ Told By Pizza Worker Led To One Of Australia’s Harshest COVID-19 Lockdowns Yet

Time to confess!

tenor.gif

So for those that are planning to listen, my record comes out at midnight in the eastern time zone on December 1st. The band name is The American Frontier and the album title is Memories. Should be on all streaming platforms. I’ll be curious to know what people think! When it’s out I’ll provide some links to make it easier.

And with that said, since I’ve been listening to my own record so much this year as I’ve been recording/mixing/mastering, I haven’t heard nearly enough new music this year. Who’s got a couple suggestions for me for this year?! (I’ve already heard Tame Impala, Fleet Foxes, Taylor Swift, Matt Berninger, Deep Sea Diver, and I’m sure there’s more but I can’t name them off the top of my head)

So for those that are planning to listen, my record comes out at midnight in the eastern time zone on December 1st. The band name is The American Frontier and the album title is Memories. Should be on all streaming platforms. I’ll be curious to know what people think! When it’s out I’ll provide some links to make it easier.

Congrats!

And with that said, since I’ve been listening to my own record so much this year as I’ve been recording/mixing/mastering, I haven’t heard nearly enough new music this year. Who’s got a couple suggestions for me for this year?! (I’ve already heard Tame Impala, Fleet Foxes, Taylor Swift, Matt Berninger, Deep Sea Diver, and I’m sure there’s more but I can’t name them off the top of my head)

My AOTY is Torres's Silver Tongue. I loved her last one(Three Futures) and this one didn't disappoint. I don't know why she isn't talked about more here. I don't think it's been a particularly great or deep year for music, but I keep coming back to this album. Love her style, her vocals, her melodies, her guitar licks.

I also liked Alanis Morissette's new one.

Springsteen obviously has a new one out, but I haven't listened yet. Ditto for Sufjan.

Fiona Apple's Bolt Cutters is getting a lot of praise around here, but it hasn't clicked with me yet personally. Listened to it once and didn't feel like going back. But a lot of people here who I respect love it a lot, so I'll probably give it another shot at some point.

Of the albums you listed, I like Tame Impala and Fleet Foxes a lot, both probably in my top five for the year.

Last edited:
Take this with a grain of salt, because I've maybe listened to 30 albums this year, but I think I have a new favorite:

Stick around!

Thanks, I just might. Congrats on your upcoming album release! I will listen to it for sure.

I fucking knew what was going to be in that spoiler tag and I still clicked and still laughed was disgusted.

Good to see you, Mike! I was *literally* going to GChat you today, weird.

Good to see you as well. Hope you guys are all doing okay. The comedy in that photo is knowing it's coming. I always cross my fingers that it's still amusing to some of you.

You just knew that was gonna be the pic.

Wouldn't have wanted anything else.

Good to see you two are still around.

:wave:

Glad to hear you're safe and still on the Best Coast. Too bad you're avoiding the streets because I'm definitely still on them, would love to run into you again one of these days!

locke.gif

I didn't catch on until right near the end of the paragraph, and then I started laughing right before I clicked on the spoiler tag.

I have not seen that locke gif in ages, that was a nice callback. You don't want any part of my Prius out on these streets.

Mike!

Hell yes. The best show I've seen in years. It led me to finally watch The Leftovers (I'm halfway through season 3), and holy shit, Lindelof can do no wrong.

!!! How incredible are seasons 2 and 3 of that series? I hate using tired cliches but Lindelof really is pretty audacious when it comes to making television.

Good to hear from you, man. It is an extraordinarily exciting time to be a White Sox fan, I love our roster so much. Tim Anderson is quickly becoming my favorite baseball player ever. And I love Giolito, Eloy, Abreu, Robert, Moncada, and everybody else, too. I think the La Russa hire is absurd and regressive but it's not like he will stop those guys from being young, fun, and super talented.

The La Russa hiring on the heels of such a fun season boggles the mind, but, agreed, not even that fucking dinosaur can rob that roster of its joy and success. I will be interested to see how they are players during the hot stove portion of the offseason.

I knew the second I saw the username/avatar what would be at the end of the post, and it filled my heart and soul with joy immediately, before even reading the actual post. Thanks, Mike, and all my love to you.

Part of the fun of that photo is knowing that no matter how much I beat it to death, you always get a kick out of it. Congrats on becoming an Uncle, that's great.

Loving this album, it brings a strong Curtis Mayfield/Shuggie Otis sound:

Holy shit is this ever up my alley.

Only me and Vlad care, Bonnie too if she was still around here, but Something for Kate's new album is really enjoyable.

Thoughts on their first album?

I wanted to get into S4K/Dempsey more, and started at the start and found it as boring as batshit. A real slog

Appreciate they weren’t quite hitting they Echolalia stride yet, but was expecting better.

Only me and Vlad care, Bonnie too if she was still around here, but Something for Kate's new album is really enjoyable.

It's very good and quite easy to get through end to end.

Thoughts on their first album?

I wanted to get into S4K/Dempsey more, and started at the start and found it as boring as batshit. A real slog

Appreciate they weren’t quite hitting they Echolalia stride yet, but was expecting better.

Echolalia would be the place to start for mine, that or Leave Your Soul To Science. Elsewhere wouldn't be in my top 3 SFK records but I've also never found it to be their most immediate either. When I saw them live in 2017 they kicked off with four songs from Elsewhere and it was bloody exhilarating.

Would like to hear your thoughts on every album if you're still intent on exploring their discography.

I think his first solo record stands head and shoulders above everything else he or they have released. It's a very special record for me. That said, Echolalia is pretty close to being a masterpiece. I actually just picked up Desert Lights today for $10 because I went on a spree at at JB. Bought the new album, which I really like. Leave Your Soul to Science has higher highs. Still need to spend more time with Beautiful Sharks and Official Fiction. As for Elsewhere, I love it. Their hardest rocking album. Not a super satisfying listen from front to back but an essential record. Plus, Captain.

Echolalia is about as good as an accessible indie rock gets, superb song after superb song with very little in the way of weakness (You Only Hide is the only one I'd regularly skip but I know it's a favourite for many others).

I love Beautiful Sharks, and I have a lot of time for Desert Lights as a record of theirs that gets forgotten about a bit. Overall, the gap between their best and weakest albums isn't particularly wide.

I'd rank them as follows:

1. Echolalia
2. Beautiful Sharks
3. The Official Fiction
4. Desert Lights
5. The Modern Medieval
6. Leave Your Soul To Science
7. Elsewhere For 8 Minutes

(I have not listened to PD's solo records apart from his latest, and only once!)

I'm very surprised to see Elsewhere at the bottom.

You need to go out and buy Everything is True like, now. You'll have heard half of its songs live anyway.

A stellar non-album PD song too:

I like it, but it's more of a commentary on how well their records hold up overall.

I’ve been playing the Tony Hawk’s remaster and the new added songs plus the old soundtrack have been a great new source of music.

FIDLAR is a fun find

FIDLAR turned into a disappointment for me after the first song I heard from them. I thought they were going to be a favorite but I ended up finding it mostly one-note.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom