Random Music Talk CXXVIII: Cobbler's 42 Hat Sucks - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2020, 04:25 PM   #221
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:31 AM
Rest in peace EVH.

prbiker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:21 PM   #222
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:31 AM
Never a huge fan of the band but they had a few killer tunes (always loved "Runnin With the Devil" specifically) and there's no denying he had an incredible guitar tone.

GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #223
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:31 AM
Shame to hear about Eddie Van Halen. Fucking cancer. May he rest in peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Some other albums that have turned 20 this year:

Smashing Pumpkins - Machina(the last album of their classic period - and it gave us the stone-cold classic "Stand Inside Your Love")

Coldplay - Parachutes(their debut is still one of their best)

Pearl Jam - Binaural(one of their most underappreciated, and imo their last great one)

Green Day - Warning(their last album before American Idiot, "Macy's Day Parade" is a great song)
As if I needed another reason to feel old today .
Moonlit_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:35 PM   #224
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:31 AM

RIP EVH

Before I got into U2, VH were far and away my favorite band. I would listen to their tapes over and over. This loss is a tough one.
MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:38 PM   #225
Blue Crack Supplier

This one hurts me deep to my soul. One of my all time favorite bands and musicians.
Seen the band somewhere around 15 times, with all 3 lead singers. Had the occasion to meet Eddie and Gary Cherone after they did a small acoustic thing at the Boston Hard Rock cafe during the VHIII tour.
Took my son to to see them in 2015 for his first rock concert when he was 11.
This is a big piece of my youth and musical history gone.
Go fuck yourselves cancer and 2020.
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:02 PM   #226
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
This one hurts me deep to my soul. One of my all time favorite bands and musicians.
Seen the band somewhere around 15 times, with all 3 lead singers. Had the occasion to meet Eddie and Gary Cherone after they did a small acoustic thing at the Boston Hard Rock cafe during the VHIII tour.
Took my son to to see them in 2015 for his first rock concert when he was 11.
This is a big piece of my youth and musical history gone.
Go fuck yourselves cancer and 2020.
Yes, I remember plenty of stories in the VH threads. When I heard Eddie's guitar anywhere, it felt like I was home. Too many of our legends of youth and afterward have gone off to that great gig in the sky. Glad you got your son to see him.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:01 PM   #227
45:33

Local Time: 05:31 PM
I know the name, but nothing else. Couldn't name a song, couldn't tell you anything about him/them other than I think they're a hair metal band?

However, I know the crushing feeling of having a musical hero die, so Hewson et al, I'm really sorry. Love to you today
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:05 PM   #228
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I know the name, but nothing else. Couldn't name a song, couldn't tell you anything about him/them other than I think they're a hair metal band?

However, I know the crushing feeling of having a musical hero die, so Hewson et al, I'm really sorry. Love to you today
They might have had long hair, but they weren't a "hair metal" band. They were just rock n' roll.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:14 PM   #229
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

They were not a hair metal band, but in many ways they may have been responsible for the genre's genesis.
A whole generation of rock guitarists began trying to emulate Eddie and a generation of singers tried to emulate David Lee Roth. A lot of those bands ended up being dubbed hair bands.
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:41 PM   #230
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:31 PM
Friggin’ Cobbler.

I’ll take pride in being the only person to include Van Halen in the last DI competition?
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:53 PM   #231
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Any fans of The Waterboys here? I first became aware of them when I heard one of their songs covered at a Poi Dog Pondering show (any fans of that band either??) in the early 90s, and at the time was unaware of their connection to World Party, whose album Goodbye Jumbo is probably my favorite of 1990 after Sinéad’s.

Anyway, something recently reminded me to finally check them out via their album This Is The Sea, which I believe is regarded as their best? It’s considerably more uptempo and varied than I expected, great album and I’m definitely interested in hearing more. At this point I’d say I still prefer World Party, and that band’s frontman (or really the only man, as it’s a Nine Inch Nails-type group) Karl Wallinger has a considerably better vocal delivery.

If anyone has a recommendation as to where to go next, I’m open. It appears Fisherman’s Blues is another highlight.
I know this was already answered, but I just wanted to say that I love, love, love this band and that, yes, definitely Fisherman's Blues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Friggin’ Cobbler.

I’ll take pride in being the only person to include Van Halen in the last DI competition?
This is another Friggin' moment I just can't really believe, but maybe American rock doesn't make it down to Australia as much as I would assume it would. They're such a huge band like....it's hard to believe.

One of these days I'll go full bore guilty pleasure and put "Dreams" on a list.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:57 PM   #232

I just want to say that I have such powerful positive memories attached to Whole of the Moon thanks to the JT tour.

I'm sure there's a bunch of songs I know by Van Halen that I just don't know the name of. But in my mind, they're the same thing as Aerosmith and all those sorts of bands.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:19 PM   #233
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Nothing guilty about it. Dreams is a childhood favorite. 5150 is the best album they made with Hagar.
namkcuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:00 PM   #234

How good is that video of Mick Fleetwood doing the Dreams TikTok.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:51 PM   #235
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I know this was already answered, but I just wanted to say that I love, love, love this band and that, yes, definitely Fisherman's Blues.

This is another Friggin' moment I just can't really believe, but maybe American rock doesn't make it down to Australia as much as I would assume it would. They're such a huge band like....it's hard to believe.

Please don't subject Cobbler, or anyone, to Van Hagar until they've processed all the work by the legit version of the band.

And Australia has AC/DC which is pretty similar to VH in terms of hard rock but not quite metal and def not glam/hair metal like Bon Jovi. Aerosmith is a different beast in that they're older, considerably more blues-based, and a pretty poor substitute for the Rolling Stones. When they sold out in the late 80s and went all Desmond Child/Diane Warren they revealed the true limitation of their talents; of course, they got super popular with the kids as a result. But post-rehab Aerosmith is straight-up trash.

I'll take AC/DC's first six albums (the Bon Scott era) and VH's first six (David Lee Roth era) and put it against ANY six LPs by Aerosmith, and it's not even close.

And repeating what I've said numerous times over the years, Guns 'n' Roses picked up where old school Aerosmith left off, and right out of the gate made an album better than anything their forbearers ever released. You could say the same about Use Your Illusion if you were being generous.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:53 PM   #236

I would be interested in an in-depth outline/timeline of all these bands. It's quite confusing.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:24 PM   #237
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I would be interested in an in-depth outline/timeline of all these bands. It's quite confusing.
Well, first off, Van Halen and Van Hagar are the same band. David Lee Roth was the original lead singer from 1974 to 1985, and then he either quit or was fired, depending on who you listen to, and was replaced with Sammy Hagar, who fronted the band from 1986 to 1996. There are a lot of VH purists - like Laz, I guess - who speak derogatorily about "Van Hagar", aka the band when they were fronted by Hagar. I guess because the band delved more into power ballad territory at the same time(where they'd been more straight ahead rock before with Roth).

But straight up, David Lee Roth is a better entertainer, a better "frontman", but in terms of pure vocal ability, Hagar is the better singer, and it's really not close imo. I'll die on that hill.

Either way, you can't call VH with Hagar not "legit" just because you don't care for them.

Aerosmith put out their first album in 1971 and became pretty big in the 70s, but by the early 80s they were falling apart, Joe Perry(the lead guitarist and second most famous person in the band after Steven Tyler) briefly quit the band, and Tyler went to rehab(I think others did too). Long story short, they regrouped in the mid-80s and started letting outside songwriters help them write and they made a HUGE commercial comeback in the second half of the 80s and 90s - just a huge string of hits.

Again, I disagree with Laz. Aerosmith's 80s/90s material is certainly different from their 70s material in that's more pop-rock than rock, but I think it's enjoyable pop-rock. Nothing earth-shattering and nothing too deep, but enjoyable.

Guns'N'Roses formed in the mid-80s and put out their first album, Appetite For Destruction, in 1987, and it was enormously successful. Laz is saying that that album picked up where Aerosmith's 70s output left off, before they went pop-rock. Not entirely sure about that - 70s Aerosmith was more blues-based hard rock, while GnR was a little more metal, imo.
namkcuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:59 PM   #238
The Male

Friggin Cobbler would listen to the Gary Sherone VH album first
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:07 AM   #239

Huh, I thought Jump was by Aerosmith
Old 10-07-2020, 12:20 AM   #240
Blue Crack Distributor

The funniest thing about this conversation to me is that Cobbler has yet to mention one hair metal band.