Random Music Talk CXXVII: Crickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tenor.gif

Pop/country rock contemporaries that you should listen to instead of the Eagles:

Jackson Browne
The Allman Brothers Band
Fleetwood Mac
Linda Ronstadt
Gram Parsons
The Flying Burrito Bros
Gene Clark
Emmylou Harris
Willie Nelson
The Marshall Tucker Band
JJ Cale
Link Wray
Waylon Jennings
Stephen Stills
Ry Cooder
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
The Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Little Feat

Hell, the Doobie Brothers suck less than the Eagles. Black Water beats most of their career. I like America more than the Eagles too, but they're kind of in the same tier. Not great, but a few really great songs.

Take It Easy (largely a Jackson Browne song), One of These Nights and Take It to the Limit are really good. I can admit that.

Last edited:
The 70s Joe Walsh solo albums are all supposed to be good, but I haven't heard any of them to comment.

The Eagles being forced to play 5 Walsh solo songs is hilarious. Pure ego.

joe walsh has 3 solo songs?

One of the Three solo songs is "In the City" which the Eagles stuck on one of their records (and is a pretty great tune), so that's a blurred line a bit.

He was also in a band called "James Gang" and they have two hits that The Eagles are also playing, one of which I'm sure you're familiar with:

EDIT: Also, I had no idea that Walsh sings "Rocky Mountain Way" but I seriously would be SO pissed if I went to an Eagles show and had to listen to a 10 minute version of that during the encore when they OPENED the show with their two best songs.

Last edited:
Pop/country rock contemporaries that you should listen to instead of the Eagles:

Jackson Browne
The Allman Brothers Band
Fleetwood Mac
Linda Ronstadt
Gram Parsons
The Flying Burrito Bros
Gene Clark
Emmylou Harris
Willie Nelson
The Marshall Tucker Band
JJ Cale
Link Wray
Waylon Jennings
Stephen Stills
Ry Cooder
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
The Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Little Feat

Hell, the Doobie Brothers suck less than the Eagles. Black Water beats most of their career. I like America more than the Eagles too, but they're kind of in the same tier. Not great, but a few really great songs.

Take It Easy (largely a Jackson Browne song), One of These Nights and Take It to the Limit are really good. I can admit that.

I feel like, if the Eagles hadn't got SUCH big heads after Hotel California, they wouldn't be so derided. That album, in general, really just ruined them for so many people, because it does *not* deserve the praise/adoration, and I'm saying that as someone who at least "likes" the Eagles, if not possibly someone who would also sometimes call themselves a fan of the band. Everything from before HC is just innocuous to *really* good. I have no idea why they ever got as big as they did. As you point out in your list, there are many, many bands that did similar things and did it better.

More confusing, but likely ego-based shit: I can't for the life of me understand why Don Henley is playing guitar and there's a second drummer up there. I thought maybe it was difficult to sing and play drums for him, but he played drums during Hotel California.

Like, I literally cannot fathom why THE FUCKING Eagles had six guitars on stage at one point.

I had no idea my evening was going to devolve into a bunch of rants about The Eagles, but here we are....truly the end of my nearly two-week's vacation I was on.

I don't think they make bad music. I think they make fine, acceptable, inoffensive music that is very much at home on classic rock radio. I think having 5-10 tracks that most people know and like despite never being regarded as a transformative, influential band is pretty impressive.

Running on Empty for the win. The Load-Out / Stay is the best song ever made.

I feel like, if the Eagles hadn't got SUCH big heads after Hotel California, they wouldn't be so derided. That album, in general, really just ruined them for so many people, because it does *not* deserve the praise/adoration, and I'm saying that as someone who at least "likes" the Eagles, if not possibly someone who would also sometimes call themselves a fan of the band. Everything from before HC is just innocuous to *really* good. I have no idea why they ever got as big as they did. As you point out in your list, there are many, many bands that did similar things and did it better.

Good analysis. The music isn’t particularly bad, but it’s baffling that their greatest hits is one of the top 2-3 bestselling albums of all time. Like, why not Journey’s greatest hits (which is better)? Or Aerosmith’s? It seems so arbitrary.

Good analysis. The music isn’t particularly bad, but it’s baffling that their greatest hits is one of the top 2-3 bestselling albums of all time. Like, why not Journey’s greatest hits (which is better)? Or Aerosmith’s? It seems so arbitrary.

I'd guess The Eagles had a bit of a country crossover that the likes of Journey & Aerosmith don't have that must have been a factor in the huge sales. Coupled with the overall "softer" quality to the music than the guitars of Schon and Perry gave it a wider audience.

i'd venture that "the eagles' greatest hits" was the kind of record/CD that a lot of people bought to put on as background music that nobody would object to.

I don't mind The Eagles. I don't see how anyone could hate them given they are just about the definition of inoffensive in a musical sense.

Hotel California though is one of those songs you think is deep when you're 13 and then later realize is a bunch of bullshit lyrically.

I don't mind The Eagles. I don't see how anyone could hate them given they are just about the definition of inoffensive in a musical sense.

Hotel California though is one of those songs you think is deep when you're 13 and then later realize is a bunch of bullshit lyrically.

I still can't get over the idea that "They stab it with their steely knives / But they just can't kill the beast" is meant to be some kind of ribbing towards Steely Dan. I get the story behind it and it's amusing, but it's so stupid, haha.

But yes, I did a LOT of urban legend hunting about the album and song when I first got a record player in college. I had definitely played some of the song backwards for a friend of mine that was hanging over late one night and it's an embarrassing but fun memory.

Looking forward to that, too. But I am surprised (and honestly slightly disappointed) that their first album in 5 years is presented as a "sequel" to their most recent album. Would have expected something that signals a bit of a different territory or direction or new era. But like I said, I'm still excited and will definitely be checking it out.

My favorite album of theirs is Evil Urges from 2008. Love that shit.

Wait, I guess it's called The Waterfall II because it's songs from the same recording sessions. So y'all haven't written any new material in the last 5 years? Or you have, but would rather release 5 year old songs that were written during the Obama administration and weren't good enough to make the previous album? That's kinda weak. Put out some new shit.

Last edited:
The Waterfall from 5 years ago was originally announced as Part 1; some of us have been waiting for the follow-up. And that last one was great so I’d love to hear what was saved for Part 2. This isn’t “leftovers”.

Either way, it will be better than whatever crap VWilcock Coffee Co. put out last.

Took a break from work, put my phone on do not disturb, grabbed a coffee and lunch and walked around the footy oval across the road, listening to Beach House's Last Ride and Coldplay's Strawberry Swing. That brought my spirits up a bit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom