Random Music Talk CXXVII: Crickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol:

Is that episode of SNL worth watching? I'm very curious about how it worked out.

i thought it was decent. most of the sketches went on a bit too long but not having an audience laughing probably made them feel longer. by far the best bit of the night was an animated sketch (the title spoils a good portion of the initial joke so i won't say that in case you decide to watch it) and as usual with SNL the better material was in the second half of the show. i didn't mind the chris martin song that much - they could have done a lot worse in the circumstances.

it was very hit or miss but that's pretty much the way 99% of sketch comedy is. i think it's worth a watch just for the novelty factor but if they keep this up week after week i can see it getting annoying after a couple of episodes.

For some reason I’ve never had an urge to listen to Is This It? Probably cause I don’t enjoy Last Nite the slightest? Never have. Preferred the handful of singles from Room On Fire.

In saying that I actually saw a Strokes cover band play last year and it piqued my interest in The Strokes - so much so I just listened to the new album. Very good early vibes - will give it some more

Ax, it took me forever, but I finally listened to the new PRR album. Oh my goodness, that was refreshing. VERY glad to hear new music from them in general, but extremely happy that it was so good as well. Thanks for reminding me it'd come out, I probably would've never remembered.

Listening to the new Purity Ring now. Very happy with this record as well.

Still no sign of land... how long is it?

That's rather a personal question isn't it?

No, no! Start again... Still no sign of land; how long is it?

Thirty three days sir. I... don't think the men can hold out much longer

Last edited:
I want him to release an album in this style so badly. He's on track for another career highlight.

I want him to release an album in this style so badly. He's on track for another career highlight.

His voice sounds lovely as he's not pushing it past its current limitations.

But I'm not sure I could handle 60 minutes of material this downbeat, as much as like these songs.

I'm listening to Beach House's Devotion right now and whenever I do, I am reminded that it's their best album despite there being a strong general preference for Teen Dream or Bloom.

Anyone else have a group like that - where your pick for best album is something people rarely mention in their discography?

I'm listening to Beach House's Devotion right now and whenever I do, I am reminded that it's their best album despite there being a strong general preference for Teen Dream or Bloom.

Anyone else have a group like that - where your pick for best album is something people rarely mention in their discography?

I think Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie is Alanis's best record, rather than the obvious Jagged Little Pill.

I don't know about 'rarely mention', but I often think No Code could be Pearl Jam's best album, and that one doesn't usually get as much praise as the first three PJ records. I'm even including a track from it on my DI.

This probably doesn't meet the criteria, because it's mentioned all the time, but there are days when I think Adore is the best Smashing Pumpkins album, and most everyone ranks Siamese Dream and MCIS higher.

Bowie's Diamond Dogs is a record I rank highly in his catalogue, and even just amongst its peers in Bowie's early career, it rarely gets the praise of Ziggy or Hunky or Aladdin.

LZIII is probably my favorite Zeppelin record, despite it being sandwiched between the vastly more hyped II and IV.

Off the top of my head. Most of these are not 'rarely mentioned', but I think they're not generally held as those artists' best records.

I don't know about 'rarely mention', but I often think No Code could be Pearl Jam's best album, and that one doesn't usually get as much praise as the first three PJ records.

LZIII is probably my favorite Zeppelin record, despite it being sandwiched between the vastly more hyped II and IV.

Off the top of my head. Most of these are not 'rarely mentioned', but I think they're not generally held as those artists' best records.

No Code is my favorite as well. I can't speak for hardcore PJ fans but it's definitely not the favorite of your average person.

With Zeppelin, I usually lean towards Houses of the Holy, which probably isn't an obscure choice, even if not on the level of popularity as IV. I'm a big fan of III as well though, and prefer it to IV.

And yeah, "rarely mention" is a bit hard to claim, but I suppose "uncommon favorite" examples for myself would be Spoon's Gimme Fiction, The Jesus and Mary Chain's Stoned and Dethroned, Radiohead's Amnesiac, Neil Young's Freedom, Velvet Underground's Loaded.

The Unforgettable Fire is my obvious one.

Talking Heads' Fear of Music is my favorite, when I think Remain in Light is the critical consensus?

St. Vincent's Actor is my favorite these days instead of Strange Mercy or the Self-Titled.

My favorite Spoon album is They Want My Soul.

I'd also say that Gila and Heart of Chambers are two of the best Beach House tracks ever.

Last edited:
The Unforgettable Fire and Their Satanic Majesties Request. Maybe The Hurting and Lonesome Jubilee? Those are the best albums by Tears for Fears and John Mellencamp, respectively, but I don't think they're considered the favorites by most people.

The Unforgettable Fire and Their Satanic Majesties Request. Maybe The Hurting and Lonesome Jubilee? Those are the best albums by Tears for Fears and John Mellencamp, respectively, but I don't think they're considered the favorites by most people.

What's usually picked as the best for Mellencamp? I feel like that would be the default choice.

What's usually picked as the best for Mellencamp? I feel like that would be the default choice.

I feel like Scarecrow and Uh-Huh are his most popular albums. I think that's more what I was taking into account. But checking the numbers, I see it did marginally better than Uh-Huh. I agree it's got to be considered his "best" album, though, right?

My favorite U2 album has been Zooropa for the last 16 years and it's still the album that I return to the most.

Yep, my favourite Arcade Fire album is Reflektor.

I've also not really heard much Spoon, but They Want My Soul I still return to. That's a very underrated album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom