Random Music Talk CXXVII: Crickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen to Blood on the Tracks, now. If you have some wine in the house, even better.

blood on the tracks is an album that is harder to fully understand if you aren't going through some kind of deep personal loss. it's the greatest breakup album of all time because it goes through all the stages in under an hour. saying that it literally helped me survive my divorce is no understatement.

yeah this has been something that has stopped me from listening to it... I've only been in one relationship in my life, my current one, which I do not expect to end.

And I probably think more highly of it than anyone else here, but the Lanois-produced Oh Mercy! is really, really great. Don't just focus on the late 60s/early 70s stuff.

:up:

Why do I remember Bob putting out an album while I was in college? (2008/2009?) I remember really liking it too....:coocoo:

Blood on the Tracks is tuneful enough to be accessible even if the themes aren't hitting you. I still think it's the best entry point for Dylan.

Why do I remember Bob putting out an album while I was in college? (2008/2009?) I remember really liking it too....:coocoo:

He did. Together Through Life came out in 2009. It was the accordion-heavy album that featured members of Los Lobos if memory serves. IMO his weakest album of originals since Under the Red Sky but still very good.

I feel so bad for Katie Crutchfield releasing her album when the world collapses, but damn, Saint Cloud is just soooo good.

Lotus Flower
Codex
Give Up the Ghost
Separator

Hmm. It's a close call against:

Nude
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
All I Need
Faust Arp

The latter is maybe the weakest of all eight songs, but the three before it are all impeccable.

Faust Arp not strong enough to join the echelon of those three sadly (though I do really like it and find it a great 'breather' track in between two heavy songs)

Without giving it a second thought, it's the first four tracks on OK Computer. Extend it another two to include Let Down and Karma Police, two of their most beloved and ensuring songs, and you've got the best half of any Radiohead album. Not a weak track in the bunch and numerous classics.

Nope, Exit Music is not quite up to the standard of the first three (even though it's really good). I'll pay your best half comment though, for sure (CD-wise, anyway).

I'm not quite at Mikal levels yet but I really must urge people to listen to Still Smiling, by Teho Teardo and Blixa Bargeld. And if you've heard it, tell me your thoughts.

I'm not quite at Mikal levels yet but I really must urge people to listen to Still Smiling, by Teho Teardo and Blixa Bargeld. And if you've heard it, tell me your thoughts.
Since you were kind enough to mention me, I listened to it. Not normally my cup of tea because I'm into a lot harder stuff now but I did enjoy the fact that it sounds like something David Lynch would use in one of his films.

I mean the whole album!!! But thanks. And yeah, the music is very well-suited to film, Teardo has done a tonne of film scores.
Ohhhh I just pulled up the song on Spotify. Haha.

I'll give it a spin. I definitely appreciated the atmosphere.

Nope, Exit Music is not quite up to the standard of the first three (even though it's really good). I'll pay your best half comment though, for sure (CD-wise, anyway).

This.

If Let Down was track 4, it would be a no-brainer.

Also, allow me to open up this can of worms, as another strong contender for me would be:

Punchup at a Wedding
Myxomatosis
Scatterbrain
Wolf at the Door

Scatterbrain - Wolf at the Door is a killer duo to close the album. Never been too high on Myxomatosis though.

Everything In Its Right Place
Kid A
The National Anthem
How to Disappear Completely

Are we still considering a Desert Island? Having some new stuff to listen to would be awesome as I settle into months of stationary work.

This.

If Let Down was track 4, it would be a no-brainer.

Also, allow me to open up this can of worms, as another strong contender for me would be:

Punchup at a Wedding
Myxomatosis
Scatterbrain
Wolf at the Door
I agree 100% absolutely love that stretch.

for mine, kid a has two stretches that could contend for that spot:

everything in its right place -> kid a -> the national anthem -> how to disappear completely

optimistic -> in limbo -> idioteque -> morning bell (i'm probably the only person that holds this opinion about this run)

edit:

Kid A
The National Anthem

dammit

Last edited:

Punchup at a Wedding
Myxomatosis
Scatterbrain
Wolf at the Door

I can fuck with this for sure. I love all of these songs dearly.

Kid A
The National Anthem

Second two not as good as the first two.

He did. Together Through Life came out in 2009. It was the accordion-heavy album that featured members of Los Lobos if memory serves. IMO his weakest album of originals since Under the Red Sky but still very good.

That's it! What a major failing on Rate Your Music's part...is that really considered not part of his main discography?

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/bob-dylan

*EDIT* Travis just explained to me how it works and I have to say that's just about the dumbest UI design I've seen.
I'll start a thread if you guys want to get rolling on it.

Start the thread! Start the thread! Start the thread! Start the thread!

Last edited:
I’d argue for the closing four tracks of OK Computer.

Climbing Up The Walls
No Surprises
Lucky
The Tourist

There’s also this run on In Rainbows.

Bodysnatchers
Nude
Weird Fishes
All I Need

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back