Random Music Talk CXXVII: Crickets - Page 48 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 08:08 PM   #941
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 07:34 PM
The White Album deluxe discs present interesting possibilities. Not Guilty absolutely should have been on there over the likes of Don't Pass Me By and Wild Honey Pie, like wtf. Sour Milk Sea, even in Esher demo form, is still way better than Savoy Truffle.

As far as avant garde songwriting goes, What's the New Mary Jane does more for me than Revolution 9, though I think the latter gets too much hate from unadventurous music listeners.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:35 PM   #942
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Man, I've TRIED. I can't even make a full-length single disc out of that thing I'd want to listen to.
See, I just don't get this take. It's the same band, same instruments, same producer. It's not like they made some abrupt left turn sonically or subject matter-wise.

I understand hating some of the songs, but it's such a wide spectrum of genres I can't imagine someone who loves the band not enjoying at least a large percentage of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
The White Album deluxe discs present interesting possibilities. Not Guilty absolutely should have been on there over the likes of Don't Pass Me By and Wild Honey Pie, like wtf. Sour Milk Sea, even in Esher demo form, is still way better than Savoy Truffle.

As far as avant garde songwriting goes, What's the New Mary Jane does more for me than Revolution 9, though I think the latter gets too much hate from unadventurous music listeners.
See, I think Don't Pass Me By is kind of charming. It's a harmless little ditty, I love the "saloon" sound of it, and it's not actively annoying like Wild Honey Pie is. But then again, that's so short I just don't let it bother me too much. Plus in the mono version of Don't Pass Me By you can hear the full, extended fiddle outro.

Not Guilty (and I think the version from Anthology 3 is different from and better than the one on the Super Deluxe set) indeed should have replaced Savoy Truffle, which is just dumb on not only a lyrical level, but its sound is so dated, it's like what someone would put on a soundtrack for a scene in a period comedy where the action takes place at some "swinging" party.

I'm a fan of What's the New Mary Jane? as well, but as the saying goes, why can't we have both?

I don't remember if I mentioned it here before (probably), but I made my own custom playlist of The White Album that closes "Disc 1" (Side 3) with Hey Jude, opens Disc 2/Side 3 with Revolution, and sticks Not Guilty in between Birthday and Yer Blues.

Tell me I'm wrong.

I haven't tried adding Mary Jane or Sour Milk Sea yet, but don't think I won't try.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:55 PM   #943
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:34 PM
Random Music Talk CXXVII: Crickets

I also have my own Let It Be/Get Back playlist that I listen to more than some of the standard albums. That puts the latter era over the top for me.

Speaking of which, it’s been quiet so far this year, but still hoping that reissue becomes a reality by year end.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:03 PM   #944
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
See, I just don't get this take. It's the same band, same instruments, same producer. It's not like they made some abrupt left turn sonically or subject matter-wise.

I understand hating some of the songs, but it's such a wide spectrum of genres I can't imagine someone who loves the band not enjoying at least a large percentage of it.
I'll give it another listen and report back, but I've tried more than a few times at this point. I don't know, maybe it's just a feeling, but it's always seemed like way more of a John vehicle, and he's not exactly my favorite member of the band at this point in history.

Like The Replacements and Joy Division, I keep trying and it keeps not happening, but I'll do it again so as not to appear pigheaded.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:31 PM   #945
More 5G Than Man

Don't ever listen to the White Album sober. That's your first mistake. No one over the age of 17 was ever meant to listen to The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill sober.

There are edibles in the fridge. You know what to do.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:35 PM   #946
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Don't ever listen to the White Album sober. That's your first mistake. No one over the age of 17 was ever meant to listen to The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill sober.

also, the best headphones you have.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:40 PM   #947
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

Wouldn't that automatically go against what Laz is saying, though? That this album isn't radically different than Abbey Road?

Also, I mean, "Revolution 9" is already among my favorite tracks on the thing, so I'm not normal anyways.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:43 PM   #948
More 5G Than Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
also, the best headphones you have.
One of the last times I smoked, it's been a while now because of the pandemic, I listened to the White Album on the couch with my sennheisers on and that was a great experience. By Dear Prudence I had tears in my eyes like, damn, this is so beautiful.

There's something very open and vulnerable, occasionally childlike about the White Album that doesn't translate the same way to analytical listening like Rubber Soul and Abbey Road do. You have to let your guard down a bit. It's the same way with a lot of the Beach Boys' more experimental music.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:48 PM   #949
More 5G Than Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Wouldn't that automatically go against what Laz is saying, though? That this album isn't radically different than Abbey Road?

Also, I mean, "Revolution 9" is already among my favorite tracks on the thing, so I'm not normal anyways.
I think it's a very different album from Abbey Road sonically and philosophically.

Abbey Road is the apex of something, a very precise and calculated studio creation that was meant to close out their story. It's an album only the Beatles and George Martin, with Paul cracking the whip, could have made. The White Album is the result of a lot of wandering and self-discovery. It's got a very shambolic and lofi sound (relatively speaking) that proved influential on indie songwriters from then on.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:34 PM   #950
ONE
love, blood, life

Dear Prudence might be my third favorite Beatles song, after SFF and A Day in the Life. Dear Prudence -> Glass Onion gets me every time, but that they are followed by what is by far my least favorite three-song sequence in their catalogue drives me crazy.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:58 PM   #951
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I think it's a very different album from Abbey Road sonically and philosophically.

Abbey Road is the apex of something, a very precise and calculated studio creation that was meant to close out their story. It's an album only the Beatles and George Martin, with Paul cracking the whip, could have made. The White Album is the result of a lot of wandering and self-discovery. It's got a very shambolic and lofi sound (relatively speaking) that proved influential on indie songwriters from then on.
Yep.

This was a good read:

The Accidental Perfection of the Beatles’ White Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
Dear Prudence might be my third favorite Beatles song, after SFF and A Day in the Life. Dear Prudence -> Glass Onion gets me every time, but that they are followed by what is by far my least favorite three-song sequence in their catalogue drives me crazy.
DP is definitely one of my favorites. I just love how "clean" that lead guitar line sounds, Lennon's vocal is fantastic, the drums (supposedly played by Paul?), Paul's bass part is out of this world, and the way it bursts with energy at the end, it makes you feel like you're in India with the whole Maharishi gang around a campfire or something.

Coincidentally, "DP" is also one of Lance's Mom favorites as well.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:24 PM   #952
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
DP is definitely one of my favorites. I just love how "clean" that lead guitar line sounds, Lennon's vocal is fantastic, the drums (supposedly played by Paul?), Paul's bass part is out of this world, and the way it bursts with energy at the end, it makes you feel like you're in India with the whole Maharishi gang around a campfire or something.

I also love the second guitar, which is more distorted and provides a nice contrast to that main guitar line, which as you say is so clean. The mix is really nice, with each guitar on a separate channels. I didn’t realize the drums were Paul’s, but they really give the song a nice energy particularly at the end. The song always fills me with a mixture of joy and melancholy.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:37 PM   #953
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
the drums (supposedly played by Paul?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
I didn’t realize the drums were Paul’s, but they really give the song a nice energy particularly at the end.
it was recorded during the period that Ringo quit the band and went on a cruise for two weeks because Paul was being a dick to him about the Back in the USSR beat.

one of my all time favourite Beatles stories is how George covered Ringo's drum kit in flowers to welcome him back.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:21 PM   #954
45:33

Local Time: 12:34 PM
back in the ussr, dear prudence, glass onion, while my guitar gently weeps, happiness is a warm gun, martha my dear, im so tired, blackbird, rocky racoon, birthday, yer blues, everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey, helter skelter, i genuinely fucking love all these songs so much, like 5/5, that's a hell of a lot for one album, and then I absolutely fucking love shit like Bungalow Bill, Ob La Di, Do it in the Road etc as well. one of the very few records where more is more. just has a shitton of super enjoyable songs, from proper songs to absolute dumb shit. i love it.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:01 AM   #955

I find jazz fantastic for music to have on when I need to focus on things. Nubya Garcia's new album is great, even if I don't remember a note of it after listening.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:13 AM   #956
Blue Crack Addict

Not to stomp on this wonderful conversation but I truly cannot adore the Beatles in the same light. To me they’re just... ehhhhh
Old 08-26-2020, 12:35 AM   #957

I must say I'm not unsympathetic to that point of view. Not much shits me more than Beatles stans who shit themselves if anyone dares not think that they're the greatest thing to ever happen in human history. My partner, for instance, who loves music, couldn't give a fucking shit about them and will never listen to them of her own accord. They wouldn't make my top 15 or 20 favourite artists and I don't listen to them often - and I have never listened to any of their records before Rubber Soul and am in no rush to.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:56 AM   #958
More 5G Than Man

It's totally cool if someone gives the Beatles a try and doesn't like them. Same goes for any other artist. If you took the time to educate yourself about something, I can respect your opinion on it.

I do hate when people butt into conversations about about the Beatles acting like they're special little iconoclasts because they "don't care about the Beatles" as if they're waging war on the canon by being lazy and ignorant. That shit happens all the time with gen Z kids. It's the equivalent to posting "Who?" in a celebrity's RIP thread. Like, I don't think anyone asked for your input here lol
Old 08-26-2020, 05:10 AM   #959

Haha I suspected that would be the counterpoint, and I agree (even though I've been guilty of it with various things!)
Old 08-26-2020, 06:42 AM   #960
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

The very first teaming up of Lennon/McCartney

Closed Thread