Random Music Talk CXXVII: Crickets - Page 40 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 08:19 PM   #781
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:13 PM
Songs that Spotify included in my “Summer Rewind”:

- Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
- All My Happiness is Gone
- Let Down
- Dark Spring

I know it’s 2020, but geez, fix your algorithm, Spotify.

Old 07-25-2020, 08:23 PM   #782
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 07:13 PM
Mikal does it to troll.

Old 07-25-2020, 09:42 PM   #783
Blue Crack Distributor

It also comes across as trolling to me as well. I don't want him to go and like him very much, but I have a hard time taking any of it seriously, hence finding it fairly obnoxious.

I also thought Vlad's post was pretty tongue-in-cheek, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:01 PM   #784
45:33

Local Time: 12:13 PM
I think it was tongue-in-cheek too. But it's hard to convey tone. Mikal is doing exactly what I do but with U2 IRL.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:23 PM   #785
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
You folks are aware, or recall, that Mikal was spamming this thread so much with B***y C***o content that he was asked by a mod to move it to a separate thread after multiple people complained about it?
I just lurk much of the time in here, but whenever I have seen mention of that group, I didn't notice those posts being any more excessive than talk about any other artists here, personally, or saw it as trolling. But if people complained, then I guess it must've been more common or obtrusive than I thought it was.

I do agree a separate thread would be a good idea...but again, separate threads for bands don't really get much traction around here nowadays, and other people talk about artists they like in this thread, so...

I'm not going to say this is any kind of personal attack or anything, because I agree that I don't think it rises to that level. I just think if mention of a particular band bugs people, either just scroll past those posts or try and start a new conversation in this thread and focus on that instead.

Just my two cents .
Old 07-26-2020, 06:46 AM   #786
Vocal parasite

The reaction to mikal's posting about the bands he loves is usually more excessive than his posting. Nobody would've complained about the frequency if it were a more popular B&C band. He can confirm for himself but I took some of the most over-the-top posting to be a deliberate response to pettiness from other posters.

But Vlad's post was obviously a gag.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-26-2020, 09:31 AM   #787
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:13 PM
Have we ever talked about Trout Mask Replica in here? I finally listened to it last night. It's reputation as the weirdest album ever recorded almost certainly blunted its impact to me. It is definitely out there, but I've heard more willfully abstract things before. Trout Mask Replica has a lot of riffs and melodies, for example, and doesn't seem to deviate from traditional blues song structures all that much. Pretty much every song seems like the players are ever-so-slightly out of sync, which probably contributes to how grating a lot of people find it.

The free jazz influence on the album is extremely strong, so if you have ever listened to Ornette Coleman or something like that, you probably won't find Trout Mask Replica all that bizarre. I'm not saying the playing on TMR in any way approaches the sophistication of some of the free jazz greats - rather just that seems to be where it is taking most of its cues from.

Also I think you can hear Tom Waits' career being born in "China Pig."
Old 07-26-2020, 11:13 AM   #788
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
The reaction to mikal's posting about the bands he loves is usually more excessive than his posting. Nobody would've complained about the frequency if it were a more popular B&C band. He can confirm for himself but I took some of the most over-the-top posting to be a deliberate response to pettiness from other posters.

But Vlad's post was obviously a gag.

Just in general to everyone calling it a gag/ribbing, obviously it is, but also let’s not pretend like this exact topic wasn’t the source of something that clearly upset him in the past. Like, this is not the first time he’s gotten upset and walked out over this.

I’m one for making someone feel bad if they really deserve it, but obviously excessive sharing of your music isn’t grounds for that.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:52 PM   #789

I am just listening to Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik for the 18 trillionth time, and fuck me dead, these cunts were good. This was their first album. The beats from Organized Noize still hit so hard. Put a good set of headphones on, hit play and tell me the start of "Ain't No Thang" doesn't give you whiplash.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:48 PM   #790
More 5G Than Man

The whole album is great, but man does Git Up, Git Out hit like a truck, and then Crumblin Erb is the comfiest song ever. I love that part of the album.

I paid a hell of a lot of money to see Outkast and hearing Crumblin Erb justified the whole thing by itself.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:27 PM   #791
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I paid a hell of a lot of money to see Outkast
Are you really allowed to say that when Cobbler's right there.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-26-2020, 10:32 PM   #792
More 5G Than Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Are you really allowed to say that when Cobbler's right there.
It's 2020, all Americans have are their memories.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:50 PM   #793

I think it cost me around $1,400, and probably $2,000+ when you factor in Splendour in the Grass as well.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:23 PM   #794
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:13 PM
I think this Jessie Ware album is my favorite so far in 2020.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:34 AM   #795
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2inUtah View Post
I think you're right.

I don't know why I've caught myself actively trying to find an album I like more than it. I'm an odd person, sometimes.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:01 AM   #796
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Just in general to everyone calling it a gag/ribbing, obviously it is, but also let’s not pretend like this exact topic wasn’t the source of something that clearly upset him in the past. Like, this is not the first time he’s gotten upset and walked out over this.

I’m one for making someone feel bad if they really deserve it, but obviously excessive sharing of your music isn’t grounds for that.
Well, again, the "excessive" sharing got to the point where a mod (Diemen, if memory serves, who's not exactly trigger-happy in cracking the whip) had to intervene. So "the source of something that clearly upset him" was self-inflicted, to an extent.

Sorry if we were preemptively mocking the idea that Dance Gavin Dance was turning into the next B***y C***o, but I don't know that it crossed the line in terms of normal dialogue here. Which, yes, can be a little insensitive at times but we know each other well enough by this point and should be able to take whatever in stride. You don't see GAF throwing a tantrum when we still make jokes about him having a predilection for young girls.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:16 AM   #797
Blue Crack Addict

I genuinely don’t know mikal’s “inness” with you, but by all means GAF was always “in.” Everyone’s an individual and how you think they should feel is less important than how they actually feel. I witnessed mikal get upset about this before. I’m just going to leave this at that because I’m not trying to make a scene or be the police of how everyone conducts their own business.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #798
Blue Crack Supplier

Fair enough, but I thought all of us who frequent this thread were “in”. I certainly consider Mikal one of the CLICK! gang.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:53 PM   #799

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2inUtah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I think you're right.

I don't know why I've caught myself actively trying to find an album I like more than it. I'm an odd person, sometimes.
I've got several, including Destroyer, The Soft Pink Truth and Moses Sumney, ahead of it, but it is fucking fantastic.

If Natasha Khan ever goes down this route and makes a house record, I'll fucking die.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:18 AM   #800

I feel like "Remember Where You Are" would have fit perfectly towards the end of your DI list, Ashley.

Closed Thread