Random Music Talk CXXVII: Crickets - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 09:11 PM   #741
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 08:07 PM
There is no song on Meddle that I don't enjoy.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:30 PM   #742
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
God Only Knows is the best b-side ever, the flip of Wouldn't It Be Nice.
Biffy Clyro covered God Only Knows on their MTV Unplugged and then went straight into "Opposites". So fucking good.

Old 07-12-2020, 10:29 PM   #743
45:33

Local Time: 01:07 PM
The best b-side ever was released yesterday, it is "My Rajneesh" by Sufjan Stevens.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:52 PM   #744
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:07 PM
“Fog” by Radiohead is another great one.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:59 PM   #745

The Amnesiac & Com Lag b-sides are absolutely phenomenal. Genuinely three or four of my favourite Radiohead songs amongst them.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:55 PM   #746

Loved that Meddle review. It's a fucking fantastic album, and it was nice to see some love for Side 1, usually people only really talk about Echoes, but One of These Days, A Pillow of Winds and Fearless are all such stellar, top-tier Floyd tracks. One of These Days slaps, A Pillow of Winds is one of my all-time favourite calming mood songs (my ebay name is eiderdown71) and Fearless is brilliant. Those two songs in particular are a style that they almost completely abandoned from Dark Side onwards (I've never actually heard Obscured By Clouds though!)

San Tropez and Seamus are both inessential in my opinion though. Interesting enough curios but I've tried playing the album with Fearless leading straight into Echoes and it is exquisite, the YNWA chant leading into the ping. I challenge anyone to try that and feel like it's necessary to have San Tropez and Seamus sandwiched in between. Luckily, they only take up 10% of the album's runtime. (I like both songs; San Tropez has this great understated swagger to it and Seamus is a funny take on blues, but I consider them inessential to Meddle's listening experience.) Take them out and it's still 41 minutes long.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:47 PM   #747

Actually, this is the best b-side of all time:

I am pretty sure I'm the only one here who has ever spoken about this song, and I've tried many times to get people to listen to it and it makes me mad that it is super unknown.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:36 PM   #748
Blue Crack Distributor

I have listened to the new Jesse Ware album twice this week and it's only Monday. I'm very happy with it.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:54 PM   #749
More 5G Than Man

Picking my favorite album of the year is going to be tough when Jessie, Fiona Apple, Charli XCX and Natalia Lafourcade all came through with brilliant works. Natalia's record is such a wonderful introduction to traditional Mexican music, instant comfort for the ears.

Waiting on Sufjan to either solve the dilemma or make it more challenging.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:01 PM   #750

I think græ could join my list. Polly is comfortably my SOTY so far.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:34 AM   #751
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Loved that Meddle review. It's a fucking fantastic album, and it was nice to see some love for Side 1, usually people only really talk about Echoes, but One of These Days, A Pillow of Winds and Fearless are all such stellar, top-tier Floyd tracks. One of These Days slaps, A Pillow of Winds is one of my all-time favourite calming mood songs (my ebay name is eiderdown71) and Fearless is brilliant. Those two songs in particular are a style that they almost completely abandoned from Dark Side onwards (I've never actually heard Obscured By Clouds though!)

San Tropez and Seamus are both inessential in my opinion though. Interesting enough curios but I've tried playing the album with Fearless leading straight into Echoes and it is exquisite, the YNWA chant leading into the ping. I challenge anyone to try that and feel like it's necessary to have San Tropez and Seamus sandwiched in between. Luckily, they only take up 10% of the album's runtime. (I like both songs; San Tropez has this great understated swagger to it and Seamus is a funny take on blues, but I consider them inessential to Meddle's listening experience.) Take them out and it's still 41 minutes long.
I was wondering if the issue is that you have these two gorgeous, mellow songs, followed by two that are humorous/slight, before going into another real heavy mother of a track? And that the middle seems like an unnecessary detour? What if, hear me out, the order was instead:

1. One of These Days
2. A Pillow Of Winds
3. San Tropez
4. Seamus
5. Fearless

6. Echoes

The other thing to keep in mind what that the album was meant to have a side flip in between Seamus and Echoes. So perhaps that longer pause makes the shock a little less.

Anyway, great fucking album. I love how the late section of Echoes brings back that driving bass (or guitar?) line from One of These Days for a bit, nice full circle there. And that other high guitar part is just this glorious breakthrough of transcendence after the menacing main riff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Picking my favorite album of the year is going to be tough when Jessie, Fiona Apple, Charli XCX and Natalia Lafourcade all came through with brilliant works. Natalia's record is such a wonderful introduction to traditional Mexican music, instant comfort for the ears.

Waiting on Sufjan to either solve the dilemma or make it more challenging.
I mean, we can pretend like Fiona's isn't the best of the year because it seems too easy/obvious, or we can just acknowledge what's right in front of our faces. Still a breath of fresh air each time I hear it.

That Charli album ain't even close.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:54 AM   #752

Yes, I think it works fine on vinyl. And my issue is not really with the order, I just think both those tracks are superfluous, and I can do without them.

Ax, I finally listened to Hello I'm Doing My Best. It's not as bad as you say it is, but it's certainly well short of A Suitable Girl, which continues to rise in my estimation. It's one of those albums that maybe doesn't seem like it should rate so highly, but it's just such a fucking great rock-pop record and so many of the songs really stick with you.

On this record, I think there's an EP's worth of pretty good material, almost entirely in the back half. Yr a Piece of Shit is good fun, and January, Backseat, Are You Happy Now and This Girl are all good.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:21 AM   #753
Vocal parasite

All I'm saying is I have no plan to ever listen to it again. The lyricism, yikes.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-21-2020, 10:54 AM   #754
ONE
love, blood, life

Random Music Talk CXXVII: Crickets

Anyone keeping up with the recent Burger Records scandal of bands and people involved who have been accused of grooming young girls and generally being really creepy by being predatory?

https://instagram.com/lured_by_burge...=1j96x1ujhsq0h
Old 07-21-2020, 11:41 AM   #755
Blue Crack Supplier

Not surprising. Men in most music scene are predatory creeps. The long Instagram post by the girl from Regrettes about Billy Joe’s son grooming her and pressuring her to perform sex acts when she was underage is disturbing as fuck, though. That guy’s gotta get the hammer dropped on him, even if he has a famous father.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:10 PM   #756

One song in to What's Your Pleasure?, count me in.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:34 PM   #757

WHAT is that song that "Save a Kiss" is reminding me of, during the "save a little bit of your loving baby" part. Or is it just a great amalgam of pop, 80s disco and modern house. It's driving me mad.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:41 AM   #758
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Aaron Dessner producing and co-writing most of Taylor Swift’s new record is a 2020 development I didn’t anticipate.

Is GAF ok?
Old 07-23-2020, 07:41 AM   #759

You beat me to it by fucking 21 seconds
Old 07-23-2020, 08:14 AM   #760
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Looking forward to listening. Bon Iver on one song too.

Closed Thread