Random Music Talk CXXVII: Crickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do hate when people butt into conversations about about the Beatles acting like they're special little iconoclasts because they "don't care about the Beatles" as if they're waging war on the canon by being lazy and ignorant. That shit happens all the time with gen Z kids. It's the equivalent to posting "Who?" in a celebrity's RIP thread. Like, I don't think anyone asked for your input here lol
Yoko Ono broke up the Beatles ... and I thank her for it!

Yoko Ono broke up the Beatles ... and I thank her for it!

In all seriousness, anyone who solely blames Yoko for the Beatles breaking up is probably a terrible person (misogynist, racist, generally an idiot). I've learned this from experience.

Never really could get into Yoko's music though, despite a concerted effort. Fly has some keepers and her Plastic Ono Band has fantastic performances but also a lot of irritating indulgence.

This person took the version of Sour Milk Sea that was recorded by Jackie Lomax (featuring Paul, George, Ringo, Clapton, and Nicky Hopkins as the band) and put George’s vocal from the demo over it, and while the vocal is understandably low in the mix, it sounds really cool.

https://youtu.be/rTzPY_Zwyoc

I'm so glad this exists. Thanks for sharing.

For anyone who hasn't heard the song: it's definitely got a Badfinger vibe to it. The Beatles were trying to build up Apple Records at the time and some songs from this era ended up with their signees.

also, the best headphones you have.

This comment got me thinking: what are your favorite headphones albums? For me, I would say Kid A and Homogenic. Joshua Tree is also great on good headphones. Of course, Dark Side of the Moon is the quintessential headphones album. Any favorites?

To Pimp A Butterfly
Aja
Electric Ladyland
Paul's Boutique
Donuts
Madvillainy

just a few that immediately come to mind.

To Pimp A Butterfly.

Good call on this one, though it's been a while since I've heard it on headphones. Paul's Boutique too.

A couple more that came to mind: Bitches Brew, Loveless, The Soft Bulletin.

Edit: and Blackstar.

Last edited:
This comment got me thinking: what are your favorite headphones albums? For me, I would say Kid A and Homogenic. Joshua Tree is also great on good headphones. Of course, Dark Side of the Moon is the quintessential headphones album. Any favorites?

Not suggesting it's a great headphone album, necessarily, but I think my favorite album to get lost in with headphones is Disintegration.

It's totally cool if someone gives the Beatles a try and doesn't like them. Same goes for any other artist. If you took the time to educate yourself about something, I can respect your opinion on it.

I do hate when people butt into conversations about about the Beatles acting like they're special little iconoclasts because they "don't care about the Beatles" as if they're waging war on the canon by being lazy and ignorant. That shit happens all the time with gen Z kids. It's the equivalent to posting "Who?" in a celebrity's RIP thread. Like, I don't think anyone asked for your input here lol

Reminds me of when Paul guested on a Kanye track a few years ago and a bunch of people were like "this McCartney guy has a lot of potential."

959207.jpg

C since it's a stage name. I treat those like band names.

But not a stage name that's a normal name like David Bowie, FTR, that I would put under Bowie.

I'm realizing this is more difficult than I at first considered. Does Alice Cooper, then, go under A or C? :|

Yeah the question is whether "XCX" is intended as a name or an epithet. If a name, it goes under X; if an epithet, it goes under C.

My system is so strange. I categorise Nick Cave under N, but David Bowie under B.

Headphones records... Endtroducing was the first one that came to mind. I like walking around outside at night listening to that with headphones.

I alphabetize all of my playlists by artists and iTunes and Spotify playlists alphabetize Charli XCX under "C".

That seems right to me.

I've decided I would put Alice Cooper and Iggy Pop under A and I respectively.

I've been agonizing over this for an hour.

I've decided I would put Alice Cooper and Iggy Pop under A and I respectively.

I've been agonizing over this for an hour.

I'd say you'r 50/50 there. A&P. Alice Cooper was originally the band's name (though Vinny F did later legally change his name to it), so A there, but Jimmy O should go under P, as in Pop, Iggy.

Pop is certainly more a name than XCX, that to me seems more like roman numeral (don't follow her so honestly don't know the meaning behind it).

Pop is certainly more a name than XCX, that to me seems more like roman numeral (don't follow her so honestly don't know the meaning behind it).

I didn't know why until just now either:

She was billed on flyers under the stage name Charli XCX, which was her MSN Messenger display name when she was younger
Fucking L. O. L.

(first thing in the video)

Doesn't make much sense as a Roman numeral, as the value is 100 but as written you're taking 10 away from 100 and then adding it back. So you would actually just write "C".

I genuinely can’t explain it. I don’t do it consciously necessarily. It just seems right to me, I associate Nick Cave more with Nick than Cave.

Other examples include Courtney Barnett under C, Danny Brown under D, Tom Waits under T

I think we'd file you under C, but not for Cobbler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom