Random Music Talk CXXVII: Crickets - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 10:55 PM   #601
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:14 PM
I went for Grizzly Bear's Horn of Plenty.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:27 AM   #602
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:14 AM
I want all of you to know that Isis's Panopticon remains one of the best metal albums ever released.

No overdone jokes about the name please, Jeremy Bentham.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-26-2020, 09:05 AM   #603
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I want all of you to know that Isis's Panopticon remains one of the best metal albums ever released.

No overdone jokes about the name please, Jeremy Bentham.
I'll have to check it out, thanks!
Old 06-26-2020, 01:56 PM   #604
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 06:14 PM
The new Jessie Ware album is incredible and instantly catapults into the top 5 of a stacked year. It's like if Prince put out a late 80s/early 90s house album.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:21 PM   #605
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:14 PM
This is my once-a-year attempt to promote older Brazilian music. You cannot convince me that this is one of the best songs of the 1970s:

Old 06-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #606
More 5G Than Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
You cannot convince me that this is one of the best songs of the 1970s:
So you don't really like it?

I listened to two Milton Nascimento records last week (Geraes, Clube da Esquina 2) and loved them both.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:14 PM   #607
ONE
love, blood, life

I hate when I miss a double negative.

You know, one of my best friends is close to Milton Nascimento. I once spent like 2 hours with him (and my friend) just chatting. I was too young, like 19 or so, to fully enjoy that opportunity but it was such an amazing time. He's getting up there in age now and has been pretty frail, but I love him so much. The Clube da Esquina records are great (I prefer the first one personally). Have you ever tried Chico Buarque? His album Construção is amongst the very best Brazilian records ever, and the title song is incredible (he's a particularly good lyricist).

This is the kind of stuff that I grew up listening due to my dad, so it's pretty close to me.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:22 AM   #608
Blue Crack Addict

Axver, you souls show up to talk about Metal more.

And you should check out the song “Feels Good” by Volumes.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:38 PM   #609
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
The new Jessie Ware album is incredible and instantly catapults into the top 5 of a stacked year. It's like if Prince put out a late 80s/early 90s house album.
Listened to it once and thought it sounded phenomenal. Definitely one that's going to get a lot of play.

I listened to the new Haim record and it seems like a bounceback from their sophomore effort. Can't say I love it after one listen, but I want to return to it, which is more than I could say about the last one.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:42 AM   #610
45:33

I would really like to hear people's thoughts on Court and Spark, please.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:49 PM   #611

Ax have you come across Sweet Whirl? I think I heard a track of hers on Triple J and noted it down - listening to her 2020 album 'How Much Works' on Spotify and I think I'll be buying it!
Old 06-28-2020, 11:13 PM   #612
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Axver, you souls show up to talk about Metal more.

And you should check out the song “Feels Good” by Volumes.
Must admit Volumes are a bit too metalcore for me. The kind of band I wouldn't mind someone else put on one of their albums, or as an opener for another band, but not quite the sort of thing I reach for myself. Not a bad song though!

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-28-2020, 11:14 PM   #613
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Ax have you come across Sweet Whirl? I think I heard a track of hers on Triple J and noted it down - listening to her 2020 album 'How Much Works' on Spotify and I think I'll be buying it!
Perhaps I should listen to her again! I gave the album 3/5 on RYM from a first listen but don't recall much of it tbh. Saw her old group, Superstar, live, but haven't seen her perform as Sweet Whirl.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-29-2020, 01:25 AM   #614
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I would really like to hear people's thoughts on Court and Spark, please.
Point:
https://www.u2interference.com/forum...ml#post8300570

Counterpoint:
https://www.u2interference.com/forum...ml#post8300573

For what it's worth, I should have ranked C&S above Mingus. But I've been listening to For The Roses a lot more recently, and that one might be her most underrated, certainly from that decade.

I think if you have an appreciation for jazz, you might prefer her deeper excursions into that territory. Check out Hejira or The Hissing of Summer Lawns.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:18 PM   #615
ONE
love, blood, life

Fulfillingness' First Finale is a freaking amazing album.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:24 PM   #616
Blue Crack Addict

OMG this is too great!

https://youtu.be/TwZmtvD-Xgo
Old 06-29-2020, 08:49 PM   #617

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Point:
https://www.u2interference.com/forum...ml#post8300570

Counterpoint:
https://www.u2interference.com/forum...ml#post8300573

For what it's worth, I should have ranked C&S above Mingus. But I've been listening to For The Roses a lot more recently, and that one might be her most underrated, certainly from that decade.

I think if you have an appreciation for jazz, you might prefer her deeper excursions into that territory. Check out Hejira or The Hissing of Summer Lawns.
Interesting, I didn't realise Court & Spark was her most successful - I always assumed it was Blue, given that's her most famous, no?

Anyway, I quite liked it - plenty of stylistic diversity across the record, some hard-hitting lyrics.

The reason I actually finally listened to it (I've owned it for years) is because Em & I had some challenging conversations about our relationship over the weekend, and I remember LM once recommending it to me, when I was asking for albums that speak to challenges in relationships. It didn't really hit the spot I needed it to, so if anyone has recommendations for that, let me know. But it was great.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:27 AM   #618

It kind of feels like a concept album, to me. Lots of songs carrying over into one another. I'd say my fav tracks are Down to You, Help Me (the soaring chorus), Car on a Hill.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:38 AM   #619
More 5G Than Man

Quote:
The reason I actually finally listened to it (I've owned it for years) is because Em & I had some challenging conversations about our relationship over the weekend, and I remember LM once recommending it to me, when I was asking for albums that speak to challenges in relationships. It didn't really hit the spot I needed it to, so if anyone has recommendations for that, let me know. But it was great.
Listen to Tallahassee by The Mountain Goats. A very barebones album musically, as is the case with much of their work, but it has just enough color and shimmer to stand out in that regard.

The lyrics are, of course, the focal point. John Darnielle is one of the greatest lyricists and storytellers of all time and his story of a married couple drinking themselves to death in a collapsing house on the Florida panhandle resonates now as well as it ever has. Though I must say that it hit a little differently when I was living with my parents and they would scream at each other multiple times per week and I would sit alone in my room wondering what the point of marriage was.

Then I got married 3 years later!
Old 06-30-2020, 02:26 AM   #620

not sure where the original post is iYup, but that playlist you posted led me to Yasuaki Shimizu's Music for Commercials, which I'm greatly enjoying!

Closed Thread