Random Music Talk CXXVII: Crickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was just in an episode of a TV show I'm watching, and honestly, I always forget about this song. I fucking love it.

Saw them open for The Kinks at my 2nd concert ever when I was a wee lad. Lunatic Fringe was a few months old and had been getting steady radio play. Basically the only song most in the crowd knew by them.

Saw them open for The Kinks at my 2nd concert ever when I was a wee lad. Lunatic Fringe was a few months old and had been getting steady radio play. Basically the only song most in the crowd knew by them.

For curiosity's sake, I listened to the album it's on...NOT what I expected.

I loved, and still love, Benji dearly, but I can't think of any artist whose downfall, in all aspects, has been so swift. Even Kanye is still occasionally releasing decent music. Kozelek is a cunt, and everything he's released since Benji (save for his 2016 record with Jesu, which I quite liked) has been terrible, and his persona has been the same. Not surprised to hear he's awful.

I'm guessing not too many people here care about this old sexagenarian, but Elvis Costello has remained pretty damned consistent late in his career. The unexpected collab album with The Roots, Wise Up Ghost, was fantastic, and his effort from 2 years ago Look Now got an 83 on Metacritic and won a Grammy, and was as eclectic and sophisticated with bursts of energy as one has come to expect.

I feel like he's been taken for granted, not just by us here but in general. If you're ever looking for a discography to explore, his is endlessly rewarding.

Elvis Costello Announces New Album Hey Clockface, Shares New Song: Listen

Recall the show being that way for basically the whole crowd....half hour of :huh: then "yeah Lunatic Fringe!!!"

Lunatic Fringe and Life is a Highway still get played all the time up here on classic rock radio because CanCon, but it's widely accepted now that Tom Cochrane was basically just an off-brand Bryan Adams. the only difference between him and Kim Mitchell is one US hit.

Last edited:
Lunatic Fringe and Life is a Highway still get played all the time up here on classic rock radio because CanCon, but it's widely accepted now that Tom Cochrane was basically just an off-brand Bryan Adams. the only difference between him and Kim Mitchell is one US hit.

Lunatic Fringe still gets the occasional spin on radio here, Haven't heard Life is a Highway much recently, though it did get a revival of sorts in the mid-late 2000's thanks to Lightning McQueen (and i would assume country radio played the soundtrack cover version but wouldn't know first hand)

I'm guessing not too many people here care about this old sexagenarian, but Elvis Costello has remained pretty damned consistent late in his career. The unexpected collab album with The Roots, Wise Up Ghost, was fantastic, and his effort from 2 years ago Look Now got an 83 on Metacritic and won a Grammy, and was as eclectic and sophisticated with bursts of energy as one has come to expect.

I feel like he's been taken for granted, not just by us here but in general. If you're ever looking for a discography to explore, his is endlessly rewarding.

Look Now was a great album (terrible cover art aside), even bringing a new favorite with Under Lime, and I will be looking out for the followup.

I actually just heard his new song when flipping through one of those Music Choice channels this morning.

I liked it :). Sounded rather reminiscent of some of his early stuff.

Favourite jazz songs? My all-time favourite is Deluge by Wayne Shorter. So good.

I'll take credit for introducing that to you on a DI list way back when.

Favorite song is a really tough question. Summertime by Miles Davis springs to mind immediately, but there are a lot of other contenders.

Wayne really has a gift for playing the sax with lyricism. So many of the ear-worm riffs from Miles songs in the second quintet were his doing.

Impossible question, really. I’ll take it as best performances, original or otherwise: Bill Evans - Waltz for Debby; Coltrane - Naïma; the Autumn Leaves version in Cannonball Adderley’s Something Else, with my favorite Miles solo.

I am in the process of trying to build a small home recording studio in my apartment so that I have something to do this fall/winter. I am starting with the recording gear: audio interface, microphone(s), software. I am trying a couple of PC softwares before I probably end up caving and buying a Macbook and going with Garageband. Then I'm going to try to build a small pedalboard.

I want to learn how to record before I try to use it to record original music, so I think I will do so by recording an album of U2 covers. My plan is to take some songs that I think deserve to have a studio-style recording that reflects improvements the band made in the live setting. I think the first thing I will do is a cover of The Fly that encompasses all of the best parts of the various live versions over the years. I think there's something to be taken from each version.

I am in the process of trying to build a small home recording studio in my apartment so that I have something to do this fall/winter. I am starting with the recording gear: audio interface, microphone(s), software. I am trying a couple of PC softwares before I probably end up caving and buying a Macbook and going with Garageband. Then I'm going to try to build a small pedalboard.

I want to learn how to record before I try to use it to record original music, so I think I will do so by recording an album of U2 covers. My plan is to take some songs that I think deserve to have a studio-style recording that reflects improvements the band made in the live setting. I think the first thing I will do is a cover of The Fly that encompasses all of the best parts of the various live versions over the years. I think there's something to be taken from each version.

that sounds magnificent :up:

Soul Mining by The The is one of those, "this is the first time I'm hearing it, but also, welcome to my top 20 favorite albums of all time" sort of albums.

Obviously the last 2 sentences of your post shows you can have a sense of humor about things, a very un-Australian trait.

Dude, your sense of humour involves posting memes about dead babies. But hey, lucky you live in America, a country that gives you lots of material to work with.

Something very odd has happened to me in the last week or so. Last week I heard Sex on Fire for the first time in like seven years, and then Use Somebody today. Now, I fucking HATED these songs because they were absolutely everywhere for like three or four straight years. But I hadn't heard them in forever and I was like... both these songs absolutely rule. I just hated them because they were overplayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom