Random Music Talk CXXVII: Crickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy-downsized.gif

Gloating is a beast live though, glad it exists but maybe would have been better in the Comlag besides CD.

Kind of like Feral I guess.

Yeah, hard to top that one.

I’ve got a soft spot for HTTT because it was my first ‘new’ Radiohead album and the first tour I saw them on. Spun it incessantly through to the end of the year. It ultimately doesn’t crack the top half of my Radiohead album rankings but lower tier Radiohead is better than most others after all.

Was thinking lately they’re due for another one soon, A Moon Shaped Pool was 4 years ago.

It's a lot of fun to listen to. A really eclectic mix of styles they mostly do really well. I would call it one of their least cohesive albums, but it's got a lot of great songs, and some of their most fun (Punch Up at a Wedding :love:)

Two things. 1, why did I think Rhiannon was post-Rumours? It's on their second self-titled. Damn. For some reason I thought it was on Tusk.

2. Best Radiohead b-sides? You could make a fucking stellar album with them.
Worrywort
Fog
I Am Citizen Insane
Gagging Order
Daily Mail
Spectre
Lift

I read through a bio of Fleetwood Mac when that news came out. I knew they were active for several years before the classic lineup but had no idea they released so many albums before Rumors and such.

Then Play On is a fantastic album and the best work that I've heard from Peter Green. It's probably in my Fleetwood Mac top 3 alongside Rumours and Tusk. Highly recommended.

Thoughts on this Radiohead cover?

Listening to the album now and it's very good. Such a great voice and the production is top notch.

Someone introduced me to it the other day. I fucking love it. Not only my favourite Radiohead song by light years but also one in my 0.00001% top songs all time, and she absolutely does it justice.

edit, I didn't fucking realise it was on a new, 2020 album! :ohmy:

Two things. 1, why did I think Rhiannon was post-Rumours? It's on their second self-titled. Damn. For some reason I thought it was on Tusk.

Friggin'.

Sara is on Tusk. And it might not be better from a musical/band performance perspective, but I love Nicks's performance and the vocals in general more on that song than I do on Rhiannon.

Sara is top 5 Fleetwood Mac. Hell, it might be my favorite by them on the strength of Nicks' ruminative, emotive performance. The backing vocals towards the end are peak music.

Did someone say Fleetwood Mac Rushmore?

The Chain
Sara
Think About Me
Hold Me

The shocker here is that despite finding her the weakest overall of the three main songwriters, I have two songs by McVie (Buckingham doesn't have writing credit on Hold Me, only the co-lead vocal), but only one by Nicks and none by Buckingham alone (The Chain is credited to the whole band). I just find McVie's highlights (and I'd add Everywhere and Say You Love Me to her top tunes) to be pretty fantastic.

If this was a Top 10 I'd certainly have Nicks's Landslide, Dreams, and Gypsy on it.

Sorry, Peter Green.

Roughly in this order:

Sara
Dreams
Landslide
Gypsy
Never Going Back Again
Go Your Own Way
Everywhere
Albatross
Sisters of the Moon
Over and Over

Shout out to some great songs that haven't been mentioned: Silver Springs, Future Games, Gold Dust Woman, and my favorite deep cut from the old days, Sunny Side of Heaven. Great band, in all its forms.

Last edited:
I literally don't think I can pick.

I hate saying Landslide, because that's such a Stevie solo song.

But God, do I love that song.

Probably going to be something along the lines of:

1) Landslide
2) Everywhere
3) I Know I'm Not Wrong
4) Never Going Back Again
5) You Make Loving Fun

(I don't do Rushmores. You'll get five and you'll like it.)

Yet another difficult Rushmore. Love them.

You Make Loving Fun
Gypsy
Isn’t It Midnight
Sara

Bonus: The Chain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom