Random Music Talk CXXVII: Crickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Songs that Spotify included in my “Summer Rewind”:

- Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
- All My Happiness is Gone
- Let Down
- Dark Spring

I know it’s 2020, but geez, fix your algorithm, Spotify.

It also comes across as trolling to me as well. I don't want him to go and like him very much, but I have a hard time taking any of it seriously, hence finding it fairly obnoxious.

I also thought Vlad's post was pretty tongue-in-cheek, but maybe I'm wrong.

You folks are aware, or recall, that Mikal was spamming this thread so much with B***y C***o content that he was asked by a mod to move it to a separate thread after multiple people complained about it?

I just lurk much of the time in here, but whenever I have seen mention of that group, I didn't notice those posts being any more excessive than talk about any other artists here, personally, or saw it as trolling. But if people complained, then I guess it must've been more common or obtrusive than I thought it was.

I do agree a separate thread would be a good idea...but again, separate threads for bands don't really get much traction around here nowadays, and other people talk about artists they like in this thread, so...

I'm not going to say this is any kind of personal attack or anything, because I agree that I don't think it rises to that level. I just think if mention of a particular band bugs people, either just scroll past those posts or try and start a new conversation in this thread and focus on that instead.

Just my two cents :shrug:.

The reaction to mikal's posting about the bands he loves is usually more excessive than his posting. Nobody would've complained about the frequency if it were a more popular B&C band. He can confirm for himself but I took some of the most over-the-top posting to be a deliberate response to pettiness from other posters.

But Vlad's post was obviously a gag.

Have we ever talked about Trout Mask Replica in here? I finally listened to it last night. It's reputation as the weirdest album ever recorded almost certainly blunted its impact to me. It is definitely out there, but I've heard more willfully abstract things before. Trout Mask Replica has a lot of riffs and melodies, for example, and doesn't seem to deviate from traditional blues song structures all that much. Pretty much every song seems like the players are ever-so-slightly out of sync, which probably contributes to how grating a lot of people find it.

The free jazz influence on the album is extremely strong, so if you have ever listened to Ornette Coleman or something like that, you probably won't find Trout Mask Replica all that bizarre. I'm not saying the playing on TMR in any way approaches the sophistication of some of the free jazz greats - rather just that seems to be where it is taking most of its cues from.

Also I think you can hear Tom Waits' career being born in "China Pig."

Last edited:
The reaction to mikal's posting about the bands he loves is usually more excessive than his posting. Nobody would've complained about the frequency if it were a more popular B&C band. He can confirm for himself but I took some of the most over-the-top posting to be a deliberate response to pettiness from other posters.

But Vlad's post was obviously a gag.

Just in general to everyone calling it a gag/ribbing, obviously it is, but also let’s not pretend like this exact topic wasn’t the source of something that clearly upset him in the past. Like, this is not the first time he’s gotten upset and walked out over this.

I’m one for making someone feel bad if they really deserve it, but obviously excessive sharing of your music isn’t grounds for that.

I am just listening to Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik for the 18 trillionth time, and fuck me dead, these cunts were good. This was their first album. The beats from Organized Noize still hit so hard. Put a good set of headphones on, hit play and tell me the start of "Ain't No Thang" doesn't give you whiplash.

The whole album is great, but man does Git Up, Git Out hit like a truck, and then Crumblin Erb is the comfiest song ever. I love that part of the album.

I paid a hell of a lot of money to see Outkast and hearing Crumblin Erb justified the whole thing by itself.

Just in general to everyone calling it a gag/ribbing, obviously it is, but also let’s not pretend like this exact topic wasn’t the source of something that clearly upset him in the past. Like, this is not the first time he’s gotten upset and walked out over this.

I’m one for making someone feel bad if they really deserve it, but obviously excessive sharing of your music isn’t grounds for that.

Well, again, the "excessive" sharing got to the point where a mod (Diemen, if memory serves, who's not exactly trigger-happy in cracking the whip) had to intervene. So "the source of something that clearly upset him" was self-inflicted, to an extent.

Sorry if we were preemptively mocking the idea that Dance Gavin Dance was turning into the next B***y C***o, but I don't know that it crossed the line in terms of normal dialogue here. Which, yes, can be a little insensitive at times but we know each other well enough by this point and should be able to take whatever in stride. You don't see GAF throwing a tantrum when we still make jokes about him having a predilection for young girls.

I genuinely don’t know mikal’s “inness” with you, but by all means GAF was always “in.” Everyone’s an individual and how you think they should feel is less important than how they actually feel. I witnessed mikal get upset about this before. I’m just going to leave this at that because I’m not trying to make a scene or be the police of how everyone conducts their own business.

I think this Jessie Ware album is my favorite so far in 2020.

I think you're right.

I don't know why I've caught myself actively trying to find an album I like more than it. I'm an odd person, sometimes.

I've got several, including Destroyer, The Soft Pink Truth and Moses Sumney, ahead of it, but it is fucking fantastic.

If Natasha Khan ever goes down this route and makes a house record, I'll fucking die.

Remember Where You Are immediately reminded me of the last Michael Kiwanuka record.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/YM5U3h8uITM[/YOUTUBE]

Reading the Pitchfork review I was kind of hit by this sense of being embarrassingly unaware of the genre's history. Pretty much the whole review was "X is great, sounding very like Y" and it made me feel a bit bummed out, haha. But there's just so much music out there yknow. If I'm gonna get into 70s and 80s female & black female disco, I feel like it'd be nearly a part-time job. And certainly none of the album's themes or sounds are really new. Another friend said it reminded them of Robyn.

A lot of the songs are also at the very intersection of a specific mash of genres I love - sultry house, dark dance and disco.

I am still looking for a full record of shit that is exactly like this:

The recent Chromatics, Bat for Lashes and now Jessie Ware albums have come close.

Italians Do it Better's After Dark compilations are superlative.

If anyone has recommendations come at me.

Hasn't been long since her last one, so I'm guessing this is something she cooked up in quarantine. Very excited for this.

Hasn't been long since her last one, so I'm guessing this is something she cooked up in quarantine. Very excited for this.

Looks like it was recorded somewhat in isolation in the Pacific Northwest, which makes me think it's mostly an acoustic/singer-songwriter album. Should be fun.

If I remember correctly, she said at some point that she wanted to tour with the acoustic album, so that might only come later.

Thinking about the live music landscape post-pandemic is so depressing. Really hard to tell how many venues will be left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom