Random Music Talk CXXVII: Crickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very random music talk: I listened to White Blood Cells today. I've probably heard it before, but it was back in college and I don't remember. Regardless, I'm glad I did, because I liked that quite a bit. I always feel like I'm not a fan of The White Stripes, but I think it's more to do with just needing them in certain doses.

That was the first album of theirs I bought and it's still my favorite.

They're still the band of the decade*, IMO.

Some might say Radiohead but I think they're in the "unfortunate" position of straddling two decades during their peak like U2 and so it's hard to say they defined either.

*Spoon (who I actually prefer) would be a close second

Take away the 1990s and Radiohead still has Kid A, Amnesiac, HTTT and In Raibows to show for it. If that doesn't give you MVP of the decade, I don't know what does.

Take away the 1990s and Radiohead still has Kid A, Amnesiac, HTTT and In Raibows to show for it. If that doesn't give you MVP of the decade, I don't know what does.
I like all of those albums less than the ones from the 90s.

#hottakes

Dance Gavin Dance is the MVP of last decade. Since Tilian joined the band, they released 4 great albums within a 6 year span. The one that came out last month us right on par too.

WE STAN A LEGEND

I was slightly underwhelmed with the new Charli (though there are a few fantastic standouts) but I'm expecting to bliss out on Carly Slay's crack on first listen.

Damn this shit is HOT.

I won’t say it’s better than Dedicated but it is really close. Window and Let’s Sort This Whole Thing Out are my early favorites.

Damn, I just started a new DI list and only just saw about Dedicated....oh wellz. Sometime tonight, then.

I love the new Charli record, first track aside. I can deal with this from her, going forward.

Axver, other shoegaze fans: what say you about this slice of Japanese shoegaze/dream pop? I'm really digging this album. Very melodic, catchy and consistent in quality.

Axver, other shoegaze fans: what say you about this slice of Japanese shoegaze/dream pop? I'm really digging this album. Very melodic, catchy and consistent in quality.

:up:

Been meaning to get around to this album. That song is nice.

Spinning DAMN. for the first time in ages today. I have never been a big fan of this record because I loved (and still love) Butterfly so much, and I've always been a bit grumpy that many people (including Kendrick himself) hold it up as his best, his most complete. It's very good, of course. And I think I'm enjoying it more right given the mood I'm in (really tired, slow).

i don't think DAMN should be held up against TPAB the same way It Was Written shouldn't be held against Illmatic, but people are gonna do it forever anyways.

duckworth and fear are easily in the upper tier of his best songs.

edit: imo, DAMN is also a lot better if you listen to it backwards from the original order (the "collector's edition").

Last edited:
I'm so pissed. Goldenvoice canceled Cruel World Fest. I'm never going to see the Psychedelic Furs...I can feel it. This is such a bummer because the rescheduled date was the weekend of my birthday, so I was feeling pretty good about it. Seems really premature to cancel an event in September :\

Yeah, I think even bands scheduling anything for early 2021 are being a bit optimistic. Not sure why any band would contemplate touring plague countries like the US or the UK for a long long time.

I’m pretty much assuming that the Dance Gavin Dance concert that I have tickets to that was already postponed from April to September, might end up being April again.

I rarely go to shows anymore, but I had tickets for Built To Spill at Pappy & Harriet's and the Supergrass reunion show that both got postponed.

I'm just annoyed that they rescheduled it so soon after May and then didn't even wait until closer to September to make the decision. Like, I think if they'd just postponed it until next year to start, I wouldn't have cared. All of my other shows I had tickets to (which, btw, this really sucks, because this is basically the first I've been ready to go to concerts again since the middle of my pregnancy over two years ago), have been postponed til 2021 and I was totally fine with that.

But I'm just being an entitled brat and whining here about it, because I've honestly been really chill up until this point, and it's the first thing that's happened to me that I've been REALLY upset about not being able to do since all this started.

Oh that's nice. I will be getting Rid of Me and Stories from the City for sure.

I'll definitely pick up Rid of Me and Is This Desire?

Also, Waxahatchee fans - she's going to do a livestream performance of each one of her albums during Mondays in June. Details here.

Hmm, tempted to tune in the day she plays Out in the Storm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom