Random Music Talk CXXVII: Crickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, speaking of songs that just be hitting different rn...

Well the danger on the rocks has surely past
Still I remain tied to the mast
Could it be that I have found my home at last?
Home at last...

I listened to a couple XTC albums the last few days on the back of Pitchfork's classics review of Skylarking - that one and English Settlement. I kept thinking how extremely indebted some of Blur's early work is to that band.

Em & I had a date night tonight and I put one of our two (different copies) of I Am Easy to Find. I think it might be my favourite National record.

Hmmm I'm not sure what to think about the new Car Seat Headrest. It's...definitely different for them. I think the electronic elements are somewhat generic and distract from what makes their sound interesting in the first place, but I will give it a shot to grow on me.

Hmmm I'm not sure what to think about the new Car Seat Headrest. It's...definitely different for them. I think the electronic elements are somewhat generic and distract from what makes their sound interesting in the first place, but I will give it a shot to grow on me.

I've never been all that high on them but I'll give it a spin. I'm more interested in the new Boston Manor album. I've been liking them a lot recently.

Damn, Nick Cave’s cover of Cosmic Dancer from the upcoming T-Rex covers album is good. I wonder how U2 and Elton John’s take of Bang a Gong will sound.

Anyone having any issues with the interference app on iPhones? Keeps trying to connect and timing out for me. Having to use Safari on my phone which is pretty clunky in comparison.

It takes forever to update for me (it's been slow for ages, but it has gotten a bit worse lately).

Yeah, it’s always taken forever to load for me but it just stopped even getting anywhere. Just clocking on blank white screen before erroring out after a minute or two. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled several times hoping for something.

Anyone having any issues with the interference app on iPhones? Keeps trying to connect and timing out for me. Having to use Safari on my phone which is pretty clunky in comparison.

same issue for me on android. i was having the same problem a week or so ago and it was resolved the next morning.

Read this on Pitchfork, this is pretty much a sure-fire way to get me to listen to a record. Extremely, extremely my shit:

Experimental composer Drew Daniel has put together a gorgeous album that carries itself with the strength of a soft prayer, masterfully fusing jazz, deep house, and minimalism into an enormous, featherlight shield.

Stay safe and healthy you cunts.

I'm guessing The Murder Capital was discussed? Forgive me if I didn't pay enough attention. It's a new(ish) post-punk band from Dublin and I was pleasantly surprised when listening to some of their work. Hell, they may overshadow Feedback/The Hype as far as Dublin post-punk goes in the years to come!

Their debut album When I Have Fears is not bad, produced by Flood. Lots of Joy Division/early The Cure/Echo and the Bunnymen influences, but I think they manage to dig out an identity of their own.

I do not use the Interference app. Tried it once like five years ago and didn't like it. I'm only ever on here if I'm at my desk at my home office, because I don't log on at my work office either.

I do not use the Interference app. Tried it once like five years ago and didn't like it.

there was a sweet spot around 2-3 years ago where it worked really well. they updated it at one point to basically just be a reskinned version of the talkatap (or whatever it is) app and since then it's been buggy and slow and i avoid using it unless i'm really bored and pooping.

I just don't like using my phone in general, but that comes from using smart phones for many years without realizing I needed glasses. Might not be the app's fault.

Speaking of Dublin bands, Fontaines D.C. have a new album coming. I enjoyed their debut record, which fits nicely with this whole punk/post-punk revival thing going on in Britain and Ireland in the last couple of years.

Here's a new video, brought to you by Tommy Carcetti and the citizens of Baltimore:

When you think Grimes has reached rock bottom, she comes and names her baby X Æ A-12.

20 bucks says that they'll call it a joke and say that "X Æ A-12" is really just a stylized way to write "Xaviar" or something.

Stay safe and healthy you cunts.

I'm guessing The Murder Capital was discussed? Forgive me if I didn't pay enough attention. It's a new(ish) post-punk band from Dublin and I was pleasantly surprised when listening to some of their work. Hell, they may overshadow Feedback/The Hype as far as Dublin post-punk goes in the years to come!

Their debut album When I Have Fears is not bad, produced by Flood. Lots of Joy Division/early The Cure/Echo and the Bunnymen influences, but I think they manage to dig out an identity of their own.

I enjoyed this, but it didn't fully grab me. I find I'm really picky about post-punk but I can't quite put my finger on what the specific qualities are that really change things. Like, for this, the guitar is spot-on what I like, but the vocalist fails to enthuse me for a reason I can't quite define when I do like similar vocalists.

Fontaines DC fucking suck, couldn't even finish the debut when it came out.

When you think Grimes has reached rock bottom, she comes and names her baby X Æ A-12.

I am amused that it looks like they won't actually be able to register the name.

Grimes wrote out a full tweet explaining it character by character. I will not link to it.

It's so fucking dumb. I love that Melon Husk chimed in to mansplain his own partner when she wrote S-17 rather than S-71.

I said it before, but I hate that I like her music so much.

In the past I've tried to "separate the art from the artist" but gee this is off-putting. She's always been crazy but with this dickhead it's turning unpalatable.

For a laugh, though, please enjoy a younger, more innocent, still loopy Grimes (then just Claire Boucher) trying to sail down the Mississippi: This boat don't float

I remember feeling bad for her when she stopped a concert I was attending halfway through, then said on social media that it was for a pretty serious reason but that was never clarified. Now I think she was probably just nuts.

Holy shit that story is bonkers, Ax.

Last edited:
Bumping Everyday Life again, as "Orphans" be hitting differently now... it's a nearly great album.

I wanna know
When I can go
Back get drunk with my friends

Take it to the Coldplay thread.

Anyway, changing the subject to artists who aren't colossally lame, some music industry insider teased that CRJ's Dedicated Side B is coming out May 21st. Hasn't been confirmed yet but we did learn months ago that this project was in the works.

And more importantly:

Is Bob Dylan dropping a new album tonight?

Please let this be true. :pray:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom