Random Music Talk CXXVII: Crickets - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #241
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:29 PM
I think about that, too, when I listen to some '90s stuff. It feels like such a simpler time.

I love that decade of music. So much great stuff came out then (and yes, that includes all the teenybopper stuff I listened to as a teenager ).

Old 04-07-2020, 06:36 PM   #242
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 06:29 PM
I wasn't even 9 yet when the decade ended, but I still have much fonder memories of the 90s than I do the 00s.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:48 PM   #243
More 5G Than Man

RIP to the legendary John Prine. He died today from COVID-19.

Me and Loretta, we don't talk much more,
She sits and stares through the back door screen
And all the news just repeats itself
Like some forgotten dream that we've both seen
Someday I'll go and call up Rudy,
We worked together at the factory
But what could I say if asks "What's new?"
"Nothing, what's with you? Nothing much to do."

Ya' know that old trees just grow stronger
And old rivers grow wilder ev'ry day
Old people just grow lonesome
Waiting for someone to say, "Hello in there, hello."

So if you're walking down the street sometime
And spot some hollow ancient eyes,
Please don't just pass 'em by and stare
As if you didn't care, say, "Hello in there, hello."

Well, I got my window shield so filled
With flags I couldn't see
So, I ran the car upside a curb
And right into a tree

By the time they got a doctor down
I was already dead
And I'll never understand why the man
Standing in the Pearly Gates said

Your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore
We're already overcrowded from your dirty little war
Now Jesus don't like killin', no matter what the reason's for
And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore

We're at war with a virus and some of our greatest artists are among the casualties.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:28 PM   #244
Blue Crack Distributor

For some reason I always associate "Right Here Right Now" with "The Way It Is" so you've reminded me of a question I've always kinda wondered about:

Is that song considered "Lame" or good?
Old 04-07-2020, 10:38 PM   #245
45:33

Local Time: 11:29 AM
Good. Because it gave us one of the greatest moments in television history:

Old 04-07-2020, 10:44 PM   #246
More 5G Than Man

The Way It Is = musically dated but a certified classic with lyrics that have aged like fine wine

Right Here, Right Now = dated and goofy, not good IMO
Old 04-07-2020, 11:01 PM   #247
Vocal parasite

Gotta be honest, for a long time I thought John Prine was some really obscure rando because everybody on RYM talked about how strange it was that in the early days of the website one of his albums reached #1 on the all-time charts. Didn't realise he was a much more widely known musician until recently, and still didn't fully appreciate his popularity until his illness and death prompted a whole bunch of tweets on my timeline from people who rarely talk about music.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-07-2020, 11:03 PM   #248
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Good. Because it gave us one of the greatest moments in television history:

I just watched this episode last night. Pretty much why the thought was on my mind. Now that the show's finally on Netflix, I'm giving it a watch-through. I don't feel like I was missing out on that much, but it *is* pretty funny.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:33 PM   #249
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
The Way It Is = musically dated but a certified classic with lyrics that have aged like fine wine

this is the right take.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:28 PM   #250
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
For some reason I always associate "Right Here Right Now" with "The Way It Is" so you've reminded me of a question I've always kinda wondered about:

Is that song considered "Lame" or good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post

I mean, the Hornsby track was sampled multiple times by rappers so I guess by that rationale it's achieved some kind of cool/classic status.

Right Here, Right Now is just as dated as EMF's Unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Gotta be honest, for a long time I thought John Prine was some really obscure rando because everybody on RYM talked about how strange it was that in the early days of the website one of his albums reached #1 on the all-time charts. Didn't realise he was a much more widely known musician until recently, and still didn't fully appreciate his popularity until his illness and death prompted a whole bunch of tweets on my timeline from people who rarely talk about music.
Prine is a major blind spot for me. I've heard many songwriters sing his praises over the years, but I never managed to check him out. And I was similarly shocked to see how many people in my FB feed were mourning his loss, including those who I didn't think were even that much into less-mainstream, older solo artists like him.

I get the sense, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, that he's not as exceptional a performer as he is a writer? I'm thinking along the lines of Kris Kristofferson, Warren Zevon, or Gordon Lightfoot. Either way, will be trying to listen to something of his in the near future.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:46 PM   #251
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I mean, the Hornsby track was sampled multiple times by rappers so I guess by that rationale it's achieved some kind of cool/classic status.

Right Here, Right Now is just as dated as EMF's Unbelievable.
To clarify, I was referring to Hornsby's song. Which I now see is loved and this makes me happy.

Quote:
Gordon Lightfoot.
How dare you, sir.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:16 PM   #252
Blue Crack Addict

the lyric "right here right now, there is no other place i want to be, watching the world wake up from history" pretty much pins the song in the early 90s at the end of the cold war. the lyrics of "the way it is" have a much more timeless quality which definitely helps its enduring popularity.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:43 PM   #253
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
the lyric "right here right now, there is no other place i want to be, watching the world wake up from history" pretty much pins the song in the early 90s at the end of the cold war. .
Or could pin it to now as Kenneth Copeland blows away Covid-19.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:19 PM   #254

Anyone have a song that they really, deeply love one part of but not the rest?

The fucking love I feel for the first three minutes of Beach House's "Last Ride"... that piano line is absolute magic, so simple, it feels intensely sad to me, but also really warm and comforting. And then there's these beautiful synth and guitar flourishes in the background around it, as well as Legrand's vocals, which just feel like another instrumental addition to the mix. It's heavenly and I reach for it quite a lot.

But then, at the three-minute mark, the piano line is taken out, and it becomes this much more hopeful, uplifting, slow building tune. If it was a song of its own, I'd think it's really good, but I am always so upset that it moves away from the piano line that I end up feeling resentment for the song as a whole. Kinda feels like I've had a really special full song taken away from me.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:45 PM   #255
Blue Crack Addict

Magic by Pilot is one of the quintessential songs of great chorus, but well below average on everything else. At least for me.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:49 PM   #256
War Child

Quote:

The fucking love I feel for the first three minutes of Beach House's "Last Ride"... that piano line is absolute magic, so simple, it feels intensely sad to me, but also really warm and comforting. And then there's these beautiful synth and guitar flourishes in the background around it, as well as Legrand's vocals, which just feel like another instrumental addition to the mix. It's heavenly and I reach for it quite a lot.

But then, at the three-minute mark, the piano line is taken out, and it becomes this much more hopeful, uplifting, slow building tune. If it was a song of its own, I'd think it's really good, but I am always so upset that it moves away from the piano line that I end up feeling resentment for the song as a whole. Kinda feels like I've had a really special full song taken away from me.
I really, really like the first half of the Interpol song "Obstacle 1" and really don't like the second half. I find the guitar riff that emerges after the second chorus to be annoying, and then they don't really return to the best parts of the first half of the song.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:00 PM   #257

Another point... I listened to Cenizas, hoping to love it as I love Jaar's AAL alias, but I find his own-name solo work to be a whole lot of nothing for me sadly. Bummed, cos I got to the last song, "Faith Made of Silk", and fucking really liked that. Big Radiohead vibes.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:06 PM   #258
More 5G Than Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Magic by Pilot is one of the quintessential songs of great chorus, but well below average on everything else. At least for me.
Ha, it's the other way around for me. Overplay has made the chorus grating to my ears, but the sprightly and interesting chord changes in the verses got me more interested in the band. That album is actually pretty decent.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:34 PM   #259
Blue Crack Distributor

Legit, I feel that way about "Sunglasses At Night". No jokes. I LOVE the "She's deceiving me" part. The rest? Ugh.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:41 PM   #260
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

i feel this way about venice queen by RHCP. the second half with the fast spanish guitar chords is nice, but i really wish they had just stuck with the vibe of the first half all the way through.

Closed Thread