Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On a positive note, I've been listening to a lot of Big Thief today in anticipation of their set at Pitchfork on Friday. That is a fucking stunning band.

Bono would surely refer to them as "Folk rock on Venus".

So the Flaming Lips are releasing a Nick Cave covers album on October 25th, with a 13yo called Nell Smith doing the vocals. He'd never heard of Nick Cave until Wayne suggested it.

Nick:

This version of Girl in Amber is just lovely, I was going to say Nell Smith inhabits the song, but that’s wrong, rather she vacates the song, in a way that I could never do. I always found it difficult to step away from this particular song and sing it with its necessary remove, just got so twisted up in the words, I guess. Nell shows a remarkable understanding of the song, a sense of dispassion that is both beautiful and chilling. I just love it. I’m a fan.

Weird.

That sounds like how the Jack Nicholson Party started out. Glad to see our existence made a difference in the world.

I hate that a thing that sounds like something pretty cool feels really creepy. But here we are, this seems odd.

On a positive note, I've been listening to a lot of Big Thief today in anticipation of their set at Pitchfork on Friday. That is a fucking stunning band.

Bono would surely refer to them as "Folk rock on Venus".

Totally. Their current three album run is unbelievably good, and Masterpiece is not a bad album either. Pretty crazy to think that they released UFOF and Two Hands in the same year. I guess Beach House did the same in 2015, but can’t think of many other examples of two outstanding albums coming in the same calendar year.

Adrianne Lenker also has Abysskiss and Songs/Instrumentals recently - both of which are really good. She's a hell of a songwriter.

I finally got around to Torres' new album today. It's a blast. I feel like I love everything I've heard from her but for whatever reason I don't return to it much.

Played my first show as The American Frontier last night to about 75 people in a tiny bar as part of Fisherman’s Village music fest here in Everett, WA. So much fun!

I’ll share video once I get it onto YouTube, in case anyone’s curious to hear is live!

I think it went well. We had a couple mistakes, a couple technical difficulties, and my voice was hoarse before we started and I’m not sure why (and yes, tested negative for covid just because I was being hyper vigilant about that). Considering we only had our first ever practice on August 9th since I’m technically the only member of the band and these are all just musician friends filling in (who may or may not continue to play with me, though it seems they might so that’s cool!), I think it went really well.

Haven’t had a chance to upload because holy busy weekend batman, but I will within the next week and if you want to hear it it’ll be on YouTube. I think for me the best part was getting to know other cool local bands, and seeing live music always inspires me to create so I spent some time in the middle of the night last night tracking bass, keys, and vocals for a new song.

I saw Phoebe Bridgers and I'm so glad I did. The choice to open the set with "Motion Sickness" is bold...opening with probably your most popular song isn't a thing many bands/artists would do. But it worked. Everybody is waiting and the suspense is building and then CRASH. Here's the uptempo "hit" song. (Uptempo by Phoebe standards).

Stage banter included the following before introducing some songs:

"Sup?"
"This is fucked"
"This one is for my dad"
"We're gonna try one about the apocalypse"
And a reveal that she wrote Chinese Satellite after a visit to Chicago where she was screamed at by a weirdo on the street.
Oh and also a reveal that the first time she ever came to Chicago was with Julien Baker so she played a boygenius song.

I also saw Wilco and this was the setlist. I think it's a pretty solid setlist. And I was on the rail for the show which is always a blast.

A Shot in the Arm
Random Name Generator
At Least That's What You Said
One and a Half Stars
I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
Art of Almost
If I Ever Was a Child
Via Chicago
Bull Black Nova
Love Is Everywhere (Beware)
Impossible Germany
Hummingbird
Everyone Hides
Box Full of Letters
Dawned on Me
Jesus, Etc.
Theologians
I'm the Man Who Loves You
Heavy Metal Drummer
I'm Always in Love

Encore:
The Late Greats
Outtasite (Outta Mind)
California Stars

A song that surprised me at how much it kicked ass was "Art of Almost". That's a killer live song.

I saw Phoebe Bridgers and I'm so glad I did. The choice to open the set with "Motion Sickness" is bold...opening with probably your most popular song isn't a thing many bands/artists would do. But it worked. Everybody is waiting and the suspense is building and then CRASH. Here's the uptempo "hit" song. (Uptempo by Phoebe standards).

Stage banter included the following before introducing some songs:

"Sup?"
"This is fucked"
"This one is for my dad"
"We're gonna try one about the apocalypse"
And a reveal that she wrote Chinese Satellite after a visit to Chicago where she was screamed at by a weirdo on the street.
Oh and also a reveal that the first time she ever came to Chicago was with Julien Baker so she played a boygenius song.

I saw her play too. She's big now, but I think whatever she does next is going to put her in the stratosphere. A lot of her set was a bit too muted to really carry the festival crowd, but in those moments where she let loose a little, like Motion Sickness and ICU, you could see her being a huge draw.

Probably the best live act I saw that day was Kelly Lee Owens tbh.

Meanwhile, I'm in day 226 of lockdown in Melbourne. We can't go beyond 5km, we can only leave home to go to the supermarket, get vaccinated, exercise (for one hour) or provide or receive care. :sigh:

Meanwhile, I'm in day 226 of lockdown in Melbourne. We can't go beyond 5km, we can only leave home to go to the supermarket, get vaccinated, exercise (for one hour) or provide or receive care. :sigh:

(I know this isn’t the thread, but like only 20 people are reading this anyway.)

Sending you lockdown love vibes from Sydney. This one is on us and the abysmal handling of the Delta outbreak. Our Premier can’t even be bothered to front the press any more unless the opposition schedules an appearance.

The difference in our reopening plans is striking. At 70% we’re essentially letting the fully vaccinated do everything except leave the state. You guys get a 10km radius and 3 hours of exercise. Kinda feeling like Florida.

(I know this isn’t the thread, but like only 20 people are reading this anyway.)

Sending you lockdown love vibes from Sydney. This one is on us and the abysmal handling of the Delta outbreak. Our Premier can’t even be bothered to front the press any more unless the opposition schedules an appearance.

The difference in our reopening plans is striking. At 70% we’re essentially letting the fully vaccinated do everything except leave the state. You guys get a 10km radius and 3 hours of exercise. Kinda feeling like Florida.

Thanks man. Yeah it's been a shambles from NSW, although overall the blame sits squarely with our inept federal govt, which I'm deeply fearful will be re-elected due to the ALP being about as good at politics as Rob Sitch's John Hewson.

That's 70% double dosed though right? Our 70% target is first dose.

Rolling Stone has redone its top 500 for the first time in nearly two decades: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...all-time-1224767/kanye-west-stronger-1224837/

The most important news: the greatest pop song ever written Hey Ya! moves from #180 to #10, Bombs Over Baghdad sits rightfully at #39, Int'l Players Anthem at #91, Ms Jackson #145, while One drops to #62, With or Without You drops to #211, Still Haven't Found down to #321, half the number of U2 songs in the previous list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom