Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a reasonable response, although I don't think it's right to call her "legitimately insane", and I wonder if you'd have a different view if it was an artist you don't love.

Just clearing that I am not saying that Prince is cancelled, or that he's now a prick whom we should disregard, I love Prince too, just having an open conversation.

As a big fan of Sinead, then, can I just say she's legitimately insane?

I'm not a doctor, but she has major emotional issues, at the very least. You don't remember when she was missing...several times?

Yeah. Perhaps "insane" isn't the most delicate way to put it but with her disappearances, her threats of suicide, her multiple name changes and dabbling in different religions...she hasn't seemed mentally stable since the early 2000s.

Yeah. Perhaps "insane" isn't the most delicate way to put it but with her disappearances, her threats of suicide, her multiple name changes and dabbling in different religions...she hasn't seemed mentally stable since the early 2000s.

Exactly, I didn't want to be indelicate, I honestly have major concerns for her, especially born out of the disappearances, but "insane" is a very strong word to be using.

This is a killer track.

:up:

These collaborations are so often underwhelming, but this one really delivered. It helps that both of them have some alt-country sensibilities and a great ear for songwriting. I love how their voices play off each other, and the music itself was so good. This seems like a one-off thing, but I kind of hope they do more stuff together.

These collaborations are so often underwhelming, but this one really delivered. It helps that both of them have some alt-country sensibilities and a great ear for songwriting. I love how their voices play off each other, and the music itself was so good. This seems like a one-off thing, but I kind of hope they do more stuff together.

Makes me think of how much of a mixed bag David Byrne collabs can be.

Fucking hell, how they gonna do me like that with the Springsteen ballad vibes :sad:

It's a great song, and it's still not as good as Seventeen.

Makes me think of how much of a mixed bag David Byrne collabs can be.

I don't really wanna say this, lest I go back and listen to it and realise I love it, but Love This Giant is a good example of this. I actually thought of that record when I listened to Daddy's Home.

tears for fears is legit one of the most under appreciated bands of the last 40 years.

They had their moment in time when Songs From The Big Chair was released that they were huge, all over MTV in 85-86 with the videos of Shout, Everybody Wants to Rule the World and Head Over Heels, then they quickly faded from the public consciousness over the next few years.

Songs was most definitely their apex, but The Hurting is excellent and was big in the UK, and they did come back in 1989 with The Seeds Of Love which, while perhaps not as memorable, still did very well.

A band from that same era that has a deeper discography and a big cult following is Simple Minds. I'm slowly trying to get into the back catalogue (the only one I owned as a kid is Once Upon a Time), and there's a lot of great songs in there if you can get past the dated instrumentation.

Simple Minds has always been a favorite of mine, Once Upon a Time was a great album.
Just saw them in October of 2018, still very good live (Only Kerr and Burchill remain from the heyday)

I love them both, but Tears for Fears, to me, is a "better" band. I think the lyricism and musicianship blows Simple Minds out of the water.

But that being said, I'd likely list them both in my top 5 "New Wave" artists (I know they aren't quite New Wave).

I saw Simple Minds a few years ago, didn’t realize Mel Gaynor had left. They’re a favorite of mine, too. I think they’re vastly underrated and under appreciated, in large due to being famous for a song that’s bigger than the band. Evidently, Jim seems to reluctantly play the song live - when I saw them, he had the audience sing it, and really he only sang to get the audience on track.

Feu! Chatterton was a frustrating listen for me. I really did like it, but it was just SO long. And another thing about music like that (maybe I'm way off base here, but it reminded me a lot of Destroyer) is the story the musician is telling. Without being able to understand the lyrics, I felt like I kept bumping up against a wall to really getting into what I was hearing. This isn't usually an issue for me with music in a language that is foreign to me, but for whatever reason I was really struggling with this one.

But overall, it's very impressive, musically especially. I'm into it.

I saw Simple Minds a few years ago, didn’t realize Mel Gaynor had left. They’re a favorite of mine, too. I think they’re vastly underrated and under appreciated, in large due to being famous for a song that’s bigger than the band. Evidently, Jim seems to reluctantly play the song live - when I saw them, he had the audience sing it, and really he only sang to get the audience on track.

Yeah when I saw Mel Gaynor was gone I was concerned cause he is great, but the woman they had playing was quite good.

And yeah they have a love/hate relationship with The Breakfast Club song, I've seen older interviews where Kerr sounds a bit resentful that the only song they didn't write is the one that became the big hit, but he seems to have softened his stance in recent years and knows it has to be played at every show.

The Hurting/Songs From the Big Chair/The Seeds of Love was one of the best runs of any popular 80s band. Incredible hooks, revealing lyrics and the production still holds up to this day.

Simple Minds was really good too and I might take New Gold Dream over any Tears For Fears album. That bass tone is so, good. Never enjoyed anything else by them as much as that album, kind of lightning in a bottle for me personally, but they have a bunch of solid albums.

Last edited:
Guided By Voices have released 4 albums since “the virus” became a thing from late February 2020 until most recently with the release of Earth Man Blues. Oddly enough, in October of 2019 their last album before the pandemic was called “Sweating the Plague”…

So anyway, going back to the new album Earth Man Blues. It’s really good. Rolling Stone actually gave it a 4 star review and it’s the first GBV album that Pitchfork has reviewed in a long time. Pitchfork was critical but somewhat favorable.

I thought you said they were U2 songs. Imagine “Tears for Fears” by U2. That name is way too slick for a U2 song. Would probably be “Tears that Fall From My Face Which Cause Me Fears”

A band from that same era that has a deeper discography and a big cult following is Simple Minds. I'm slowly trying to get into the back catalogue (the only one I owned as a kid is Once Upon a Time), and there's a lot of great songs in there if you can get past the dated instrumentation.

Everything they did up to Once Upon a Time is close to essential listening, and it's impressive how much of a discography they actually amassed up to that point - very prolific. Hunter and the Hunted is the best thing they put to record (with the incredible guest Herbie Hancock synth solo).

My goodness, this lineup.

https://consequence.net/2021/05/primavera-sound-2022-lineup/

Primavera-Sound-2022-lineup-poster.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom