Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert - Page 47 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-13-2021, 08:27 AM   #921
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
HeartlandGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 7,122
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Listening to Pitchfork's 100 songs of the year playlist... the two standouts I didn't already know so far are La Perla by Sofia Kourtesis and Mohabbat by Arooj Aftab. I really need to branch out.
I've been listening to Sofia Kourtesis for awhile now. Any song you can find by her will be worth your time. So good.

I'm also making my way through the Pitchfork playlist. Peggy Gou has been my favorite new discovery so far.
__________________

HeartlandGirl is offline  
Old 12-13-2021, 09:38 AM   #922
ONE
love, blood, life
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,729
Local Time: 05:17 PM
I'll add to the love for the Sofia Kourtesis EP - really strong across all six tracks. The Arooj Aftab record is great as well. Last Night is an especially stunning track.
__________________

iron yuppie is online now  
Old 12-20-2021, 09:50 AM   #923
ONE
love, blood, life
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 10,066
Local Time: 06:17 PM
Dropping by with some Brazilian music recommendations as I've just returned from 3 weeks there.

Rodrigo Amarante, a member of Brazilian indie stalwarts Los Hermanos, just released a beautiful album full of MPB, chamber pop and jazz influences that is worth checking out. It's called Drama. Here's my favorite song:



On older stuff, I'm not sure if I ever recommended Legião Urbana here. They are probably the best Brazilian rock band of the 1980s, alternating between post punk and jangle pop, very Smiths influenced. They sometimes make me think of TUF era U2 as well. Pretty sure iron yuppie would like them. Dois, their second album, is a beauty, one of my favorite Brazilian albums post-1970s. They are from Brasilia at a time when that town was a musical desert. Lead singer Renato Russo died way too young; he was a brilliant and charismatic lyricist. Here's one of the best songs off that album:

gump is offline  
Old 12-20-2021, 08:45 PM   #924
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,566
Local Time: 08:17 AM
Hello Dan, it's Joe here
I hope you're keepin' well
It's the 21st of December
And now they're ringin' the last bells
If I get good behaviour, I'll be outta here by July
Won't you kiss my kids on Christmas Day
Please don't let 'em cry for me

I guess the brothers are drivin' down from Queensland
And Stella's flyin' in from the coast
They say it's gonna be 100 degrees, even more maybe
But that won't stop the roast
Who's gonna make the gravy, now?
I bet it won't taste the same
Just add flour, salt, a little red wine, don't forget a dollop of tomato sauce for that sweetness and extra tang

And give my love to Angus
And to Frank and Dolly
Tell 'em all I'm sorry
I screwed up this time
And look after Rita, I'll be thinkin' of her
Early Christmas morning
When I'm standin' in line

I hear Mary's got a new boyfriend, I hope he can hold his own
Do you remember the last one - what was his name again?
Just a little too much cologne
And Roger, you know I'm even gonna miss Roger
Cos there's sure as hell no one in here I wanna fight

Oh pray to baby Jesus, have a Merry Christmas
I'm really gonna miss it, all the treasure and the trash
Later in the evening, I can just imagine
You'll put on Junior Murvin
And push those tables back
And you'll dance with Rita, I know you really like her
Just don't hold her too close oh brother please don't stab me in the back
I didn't mean to say that - it's just my mind it plays up
Multiplies these matters, turns imagination into fact
You know I love her badly, she's the one to save me
I'm gonna make so gravy
I'm gonna taste the fat
Oh tell her that I'm sorry
Yeah I love her badly
Tell 'em all I'm sorry
And kiss the sleeping children for me
You know one of these days I'll be making gravy
I'll be making plenty
I'm gonna pay 'em all back
Yeah


cobl04 is offline  
Old 12-21-2021, 12:37 PM   #925
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 26,481
Local Time: 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Hello Dan, it's Joe here
I hope you're keepin' well
It's the 21st of December
And now they're ringin' the last bells
If I get good behaviour, I'll be outta here by July
Won't you kiss my kids on Christmas Day
Please don't let 'em cry for me

I guess the brothers are drivin' down from Queensland
And Stella's flyin' in from the coast
They say it's gonna be 100 degrees, even more maybe
But that won't stop the roast
Who's gonna make the gravy, now?
I bet it won't taste the same
Just add flour, salt, a little red wine, don't forget a dollop of tomato sauce for that sweetness and extra tang

And give my love to Angus
And to Frank and Dolly
Tell 'em all I'm sorry
I screwed up this time
And look after Rita, I'll be thinkin' of her
Early Christmas morning
When I'm standin' in line

I hear Mary's got a new boyfriend, I hope he can hold his own
Do you remember the last one - what was his name again?
Just a little too much cologne
And Roger, you know I'm even gonna miss Roger
Cos there's sure as hell no one in here I wanna fight

Oh pray to baby Jesus, have a Merry Christmas
I'm really gonna miss it, all the treasure and the trash
Later in the evening, I can just imagine
You'll put on Junior Murvin
And push those tables back
And you'll dance with Rita, I know you really like her
Just don't hold her too close oh brother please don't stab me in the back
I didn't mean to say that - it's just my mind it plays up
Multiplies these matters, turns imagination into fact
You know I love her badly, she's the one to save me
I'm gonna make so gravy
I'm gonna taste the fat
Oh tell her that I'm sorry
Yeah I love her badly
Tell 'em all I'm sorry
And kiss the sleeping children for me
You know one of these days I'll be making gravy
I'll be making plenty
I'm gonna pay 'em all back
Yeah


GirlsAloudFan is offline  
Old 12-21-2021, 01:29 PM   #926
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 41,739
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Reads like bargain bin Springsteen tbh.
lazarus is offline  
Old 12-22-2021, 06:06 AM   #927
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,566
Local Time: 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
I'll add to the love for the Sofia Kourtesis EP - really strong across all six tracks. The Arooj Aftab record is great as well. Last Night is an especially stunning track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlandGirl View Post
I've been listening to Sofia Kourtesis for awhile now. Any song you can find by her will be worth your time. So good.

I'm also making my way through the Pitchfork playlist. Peggy Gou has been my favorite new discovery so far.
the Sofia Kourtesis EP was fantastic, great recommendation. I also really enjoyed Vulture Prince; Saans Lo kind of reminds me a bit of early Sun Kil Moon or Red House Painters. Terrific album.
cobl04 is offline  
Old 12-23-2021, 01:15 PM   #928
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
U2inUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Utah
Posts: 3,374
Local Time: 04:17 PM
Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert

Christmas came early for Laz

“Coldplay to stop making music”

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainme...s-59766719.amp
U2inUtah is offline  
Old 12-23-2021, 01:56 PM   #929
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,982
Local Time: 06:17 PM
As self aware and humble as they seem when you read between the lines.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 12-23-2021, 02:26 PM   #930
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
U2inUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Utah
Posts: 3,374
Local Time: 04:17 PM
Would be the equivalent to U2 saying in 2002, Bomb will be our last album, and then we’ll just tour after that.

That may have not been such a bad thing.
U2inUtah is offline  
Old 12-23-2021, 04:14 PM   #931
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,662
Local Time: 03:17 PM
I'm glad they're not intending to go out with that last garbage album of theirs.
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 12-23-2021, 04:58 PM   #932
New Yorker
 
DeVaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 2,967
Local Time: 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I'm glad they're not intending to go out with that last garbage album of theirs.


Just wait til you hear the new pandering shit they’ve got percolating…
DeVaul is offline  
Old 12-23-2021, 06:45 PM   #933
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 41,739
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Maybe there is a god after all.
lazarus is offline  
Old 12-23-2021, 08:28 PM   #934
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 41,739
Local Time: 03:17 PM
1. Announcing your retirement 4 years in advance in such a public fashion is pretty tacky.

2. Assuming U2 stays together, this will finally be something Coldplay did before them.

3. What a glorious day this is, though I would have preferred they stop immediately.

4. Sure hope they fail to win an sympathy Album of the Year Grammy before they're done.
lazarus is offline  
Old 12-23-2021, 08:55 PM   #935
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,982
Local Time: 06:17 PM
They didn’t announce their retirement. Clearly.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 12-24-2021, 12:13 AM   #936
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: turtle island
Posts: 22,355
Local Time: 06:17 PM
lol. i'd bet a large sum of money that in 2027 they'll announce "coldplay is back" and it'll just be chris martin and a macbook.
DaveC is offline  
Old 12-24-2021, 04:06 AM   #937
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,566
Local Time: 08:17 AM
Another example of American exceptionalism for you freaks who lose your minds when one of us non-Americans points it out: In Australia nearly every Christmas carol, every bit of Christmas film or imagery, is of a cold, white, snow-filled Christmas, despite the fact that half the world has hot Christmases.
cobl04 is offline  
Old 12-24-2021, 04:46 AM   #938
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,566
Local Time: 08:17 AM
Re Coldplay, that's all a load of shit. It contradicts with his anti-climate change stance too, he said like a couple years ago we'll never tour unless we can do it sustainably. He's also been on record saying he'd stop at 33, he's 44 now.
cobl04 is offline  
Old 12-24-2021, 05:23 AM   #939
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: turtle island
Posts: 22,355
Local Time: 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Another example of American exceptionalism for you freaks who lose your minds when one of us non-Americans points it out: In Australia nearly every Christmas carol, every bit of Christmas film or imagery, is of a cold, white, snow-filled Christmas, despite the fact that half the world has hot Christmases.
"half the world" 87% of the world's people live in the northern hemisphere where it's winter now but lol okay christmas carols are american exceptionalism
DaveC is offline  
Old 12-24-2021, 05:37 AM   #940
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: turtle island
Posts: 22,355
Local Time: 06:17 PM
the vast majority of contemporary christmas carols are based on old german and english folk songs but that's just american exceptionalism.
__________________

DaveC is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×