Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Send me the playlist!!

I might as well just post it: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4O87xVgvqskWHebRUCdsiW?si=650f81f84a8845a5

It's based on a much longer list, too long even for a full DI, but sequenced very carefully with segments for the different genres/scenes that meant a lot to me while I lived in Melbourne, each separated by an "old" song. This originally just meant "before I moved to Melbourne" but it morphed into "at least 2 decades ago" for various reasons (and is only a 6 year difference anyway).

This short version has trios of "old" songs at the start and finish and then at least one selection from each segment except the punk/post-punk portion, which fell victim to the 80-minute limit and the fact that a planned segue just didn't work as well as I wanted it to.

PS yes I realise a couple of bands here are not typically associated with Melbourne, but they met my criteria of a key member living in the city for a decent length of time.

I knew not to get too excited for what Los Campesinos! were teasing all week (unlike Cobbler).

An EP of Hello Sadness outtakes is about the last thing I'd want to hear from them.

Wake me up when there's a new album.

Yeah, I'm glad my expectations were properly set.

Oh wow, that's rough.

yeahhh I really set myself up for disappointment there, didn't I.

What I find ridiculous are these stans who often comment on Insta or FB with "Hello Sadness is my favorite LC! album" and I'm just thinking what the fuck is wrong with you?

Sure glad I'm not that miserable.

Even Gareth and Tom know it's their worst.

I finally watched Lovers Rock last night, and damn, that is one of my favorite recent movies about music (I guess one can call it a movie). It’s about more than music, of course, but it’s such a mood piece that you can’t dissociate it from its sound. If you are at all interested in the reggae/disco/lovers rock scene and Caribbean culture in late 60s/early 70s England, you can’t go wrong with it. I found a playlist in Spotify with all the songs that they play in the house party that is basically the plot of the movie, and it’s pretty good stuff:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0wynR8koXbSNPzVjrvIElE?si=UPBriHGOS3SjRi9F2eOkcg&dl_branch=1

Nice, will listen. I was very surprised not to see Cable Ties in the short list. They used to live next door to good friends of mine in Coburg.

:up:

Yeah the short list had them and Infinite Void for the post-punk bit and were the last cuts to get down to the 80 minute limit, when I was very seriously thinking of entering it instead of my 2020 list.

I honestly think 6pm into Merri on the short list is one of the best pairings I've ever created. And I can't even work it back into the long list because it would break the segmented theme.

Anyway, maybe a version of this will see the light of day in a future DI.

While St. Vincent was disappointing, the new Torres single certainly isn't. I could do with a slightly more understated production, but it's a minor complaint. Such great hooks all around. I'm excited for this album.

Anyone listening to the new Iceage album?

Haven't heard anything by them before but this shit is GOOD.
It's great. Such a cool, weird amalgamation of indie rock and roots rock with some...Britpop influences? Hard to describe. You just have to try it.

However, I would not get your expectations up too high for the the rest of their discography; this one was a pretty hard left turn. Just keep working backwards to Beyondless and see if it's your thing.

Holy shit, YouTube music has the entirety of the deluxe edition of This Is The Sea up backwards and I didn't notice anything was off until "This Is The Sea" popped up as a live version, and then I still didn't understand what was wrong, until "The Whole of the Moon" was just about the absolute last track of the whole damn thing.

EDIT: WAIT! It's worse than I thought. Disc 2 is first, but in the right order, but disc 1 is reversed. WTF....

Last edited:
Teenage girl lyrics aside*, I feel like the new Olivia Rodrigo single is a well executed version of what U2 has been going for during the last decade or so.

*Some good lines in there. I like this:

And good for you, I guess that you've been workin' on yourself
I guess that therapist I found for you, she really helped

Last edited:
Pretty special piece on/with Sinead O'Connor, that does not paint a very good picture of Prince, at all https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/18/arts/music/sinead-oconnor-rememberings.html

I did not know about this Pope SNL moment, but it's funny thinking back how attacked she was for it. If that happened today, it would barely raise an eyebrow, so it's nice to reflect that she was absolutely right about the institutional Catholic Church, decades before all their evil was revealed.

IDK, I'm not going to get into the middle of that. Maybe he was abusive to her and maybe he wasn't. They're both pretty unstable people.

I'm absolutely not saying it didn't happen, but I just don't think it's worth troubling your head about how you view Prince. What can happen at this point but for her to say her side of it? If other women say similar things, that's a different story. We know he was mentally abusive to all kinds of people, male and female. He was extremely...Prince.

Last edited:
She also admits many of her memories are hazy as she was constantly stoned back then, so who knows if her recollection is 100% accurate, or even maybe a little embellished to help sell books.
As Ashley said, no way for Prince to dispute her story, so just take it with a grain of salt.

My first instinct is to believe women, of course, and I'm one of the bigger Sinead fans I know. She has had a rough ride, mainly the fault of the press and the conservative public. Of course, she's also legitimately insane, and has said so many things over the years that she's retracted or gone back on, that it's definitely something I can't take seriously.

Prince could be petty/vindictive and a cruel taskmaster, but this is the first I've heard of him committing any physical abuse. That he'd do it to Sinead and no one else, ever (that we've heard of, and there's certainly been an opportunity to come forward in the last 4 years), is hard for me to believe, personally,

In other news, Marilyn Manson's former personal assistant (someone I've known for years), officially filed a lawsuit yesterday alleging a number of crimes, which are supported by others who have spoken out in the last few months.

Hopefully that shitheel is going down. He's a monster.

Last edited:
I'm pulling this from the St. Vincent thread because I don't want to derail it:

Two Against Nature is missing a certain dynamic and the songs don't pop in the way that they used to, but in terms of writing, arrangement, and performance, it's more consistent than Pretzel Logic or Gaucho. Now that's not to say I prefer to those in a desert island sense, but I think it's safe to call it very good. But there probably isn't a single song on there I'd call essential, the closest maybe being Jack of Speed.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that 2VN is actually great but there's something about the sound of it that holds me back. The snare, maybe? It's a very, very clinical sounding record, even to their standards, to the point of feeling polite. Which is interesting because the songwriting is anything but. The bile (West of Hollywood), cynicism (What a Shame About Me) and outré sexuality (Cousin Dupree) is still present. Gaslighting Abbie and the title track are wonderfully inscrutable and bizarre songs from a lyrical perspective and really groove.

You know what song I really love though? Nobody ever talks about it, but I play Almost Gothic all the time. So catchy and sweet for a band like Steely Dan.

My first instinct is to believe women, of course, and I'm one of the bigger Sinead fans I know. She has had a rough ride, mainly the fault of the press and the conservative public. Of course, she's also legitimately insane, and has said so many things over the years that she's retracted or gone back on, that it's definitely something I can't take seriously.

Prince could be petty/vindictive and a cruel taskmaster, but this is the first I've heard of him committing any physical abuse. That he'd do it to Sinead and no one else, ever (that we've heard of, and there's certainly been an opportunity to come forward in the last 4 years), is hard for me to believe, personally,

This is a reasonable response, although I don't think it's right to call her "legitimately insane", and I wonder if you'd have a different view if it was an artist you don't love.

Just clearing that I am not saying that Prince is cancelled, or that he's now a prick whom we should disregard, I love Prince too, just having an open conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom