Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert - Page 39 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 06:20 PM   #761
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
I really shouldn't waste any time writing about a list like that, but here we go.

[...]

First off, there seems to some recency bias. But that's just a gut response, I could be wrong.
Where I noticed this was for Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. Two more recent albums made the list (Push The Sky Away and Skeleton Key) but classics like The Boatman's Call and Abattoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus are nowhere to be found.

Old 10-19-2021, 05:42 PM   #762
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Lmfao, The Weather Station is touring with Cassandra Jenkins? Did I dream this?

That’s hilarious and perfect. I had no idea. Looks like Cassandra is joining The Weather Station only in the latter part of the tour sadly, so she won’t be opening here in NYC in January. Glad I get to see her solo this week. I have no idea what she plays beyond An Overview on Phenomenal Nature. I have been listening to Play Till You Win this week, but some of these songs definitely do not fit together (some do, and there’s a lot of good stuff - Candy Crane is really pretty). I’ll probably disintegrate when she plays New Bikini, Michelangelo or Hard Drive anyway.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:00 PM   #763
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 06:37 AM
The Weather Station/Cassandra Jenkins is the most February 2021 billing imaginable.

Yes, of course I'm going.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:13 PM   #764
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
That’s hilarious and perfect. I had no idea. Looks like Cassandra is joining The Weather Station only in the latter part of the tour sadly, so she won’t be opening here in NYC in January. Glad I get to see her solo this week. I have no idea what she plays beyond An Overview on Phenomenal Nature. I have been listening to Play Till You Win this week, but some of these songs definitely do not fit together (some do, and there’s a lot of good stuff - Candy Crane is really pretty). I’ll probably disintegrate when she plays New Bikini, Michelangelo or Hard Drive anyway.
On top of it, the show is on Travis and I's anniversary. I laughed out loud and then bought tickets. I am so excited to melt into a puddle of tears and sadness when she plays Hard Drive.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:36 PM   #765
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:37 AM
I spent the week going through Stereolab’s discography, and here’s the thing: that band fucking rules.

I’m having a very hard time thinking of an act from the last 30 years with a more consistent body of work.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:38 PM   #766
45:33

Local Time: 12:37 AM
Quote:
Lmfao, The Weather Station is touring with Cassandra Jenkins? Did I dream this?
For some reason, their music is inexplicably tied in my mind, so I'm not surprised at all.

My fav albums of the year, along with Carnage, Smiling with No Teeth and Gala.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:00 AM   #767
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
I spent the week going through Stereolab’s discography, and here’s the thing: that band fucking rules.

I’m having a very hard time thinking of an act from the last 30 years with a more consistent body of work.

Saw them a year and a half ago, insanely good live too.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:58 PM   #768

Lotta people shat on Assume Form, but it's so much better than Friends That Break Your Heart.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:49 PM   #769

I like this.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:11 PM   #770
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Lotta people shat on Assume Form, but it's so much better than Friends That Break Your Heart.

I haven't heard the new one yet, but it seems like reviews are pretty good?
Old 10-21-2021, 12:00 PM   #771
ONE
love, blood, life

Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert

Have we talked about how unbelievably good Little Simz’s Sometimes I Might Be Introvert is? I heard it for the first time yesterday and it blew my mind. Introvert, Woman, I Love You, I Hate You are incredible. This should easily make my end of year list.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:27 PM   #772
Blue Crack Distributor

It's SO good. But for some reason YTM won't STOP playing it whenever I turn on basically any radio station. I'm getting so tired of some of the songs now and that really sucks.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:42 PM   #773
More 5G Than Man

Quote:
Have we talked about how unbelievably good Little Simz’s Sometimes I Might Be Introvert is? I heard it for the first time yesterday and it blew my mind. Introvert, Woman, I Love You, I Hate You are incredible. This should easily make my end of year list.
Go back and listen to Grey Area. In my opinion, it's just as good. She's a treasure.

Ashley and I have tickets for her show in May.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:12 PM   #774

Anyone listened to A Martyr's Reward by Ka? Quite enjoy it.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:29 AM   #775
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
It's SO good. But for some reason YTM won't STOP playing it whenever I turn on basically any radio station. I'm getting so tired of some of the songs now and that really sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Go back and listen to Grey Area. In my opinion, it's just as good. She's a treasure.

Ashley and I have tickets for her show in May.
I enjoyed Grey Area too, really interesting sound throughout, and its brevity was appreciated (the only criticism I might have of Sometimes I Might Be Introvert is its length). I didn't pay too much attention to the lyrics, but clearly some overlapping themes between the two albums. She's great, looking forward to listening to her more.

Also, thanks to cobbler for reminding me that the new Helado Negro is out. Another moody album from him, I like it, but need to listen to it a few more times.

Caetano Veloso is also releasing his new album today. Like most of his recent work it's somewhat of a mixed bag - some really great songs, other failed experiments in my view. Like a lot of Brazilian music today, it kind of lacked a cohesive direction and tried to blend genres in a way that is not that successful to these ears. But getting any new music from a 79-year old icon, and some adventurous music at that, makes me happy. Hopefully he will tour North America soon - he had a solo tour of Europe recently and has been playing in Brazil, so it's a possibility.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:35 AM   #776
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Looking forward to your Japanese Breakfast review. You'll have a blast. She's been covering Dolly Parton as well lol
I forgot to respond to this. She was damn good, I'm really happy I went. The opening sequence of Paprika - Be Sweet - In Heaven - The Woman that Loves You was excellent, but somehow the encore was even better: Posing for Cars is a great encore opener with the buildup, and her guitar work is great (I think the only song in which she played lead guitar?). Diving Woman is just an awesome closer, possibly her best song too. It's awesome live.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:27 AM   #777
ONE
love, blood, life

Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert

Guys! Cassandra Jenkins and her band were so awesome live. Apparently it was her first “big” show, so her family and friends were there. Darryl, the driving instructor mentioned in Hard Drive, was there! She told us stories about how she tried to get into the Bowery Ballroom, her favorite music venue, as a teenager, and her fake IDs were not good enough to give her access. She was visibly emotional and shy at times. Her voice was perfect though. At one point she has three people playing sax in different parts of the venue. New Bikini and Hard Drive were really emotional, and it was beautiful to see the crowd reaction to the latter. Unfortunately it was a short set, about an hour. But every minute was worth it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1163.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	12987
Old 10-23-2021, 08:16 PM   #778

Arghhhh that's so beautiful and awesome, I'm SO jealous.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:27 PM   #779
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
By the way, were either of iron yuppie or GAF at Pitchfork? I'm curious about how The Weather Station and Fiery Furnaces sounded. The clips I've seen were so promising.

I mean, this is just gorgeous stuff:

I was there all day Friday, it was a blast. Saw probably ten bands and Phoebe was the highlight...I posted some thoughts about her set earlier in this thread. She's the best. But Fiery Furnaces were a lot of fun. They opened with "Single Again" which is my favorite song of theirs.

I was also able to just walk right up and get a great elevated spot like 10 or 15 yards from the Fiery Furnaces stage. That's one of the things I really love about music festivals. A lot of times it's not that difficult to get a good spot at a fest if you just kinda work your way toward the front.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:48 AM   #780
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Guys! Cassandra Jenkins and her band were so awesome live. Apparently it was her first “big” show, so her family and friends were there. Darryl, the driving instructor mentioned in Hard Drive, was there! She told us stories about how she tried to get into the Bowery Ballroom, her favorite music venue, as a teenager, and her fake IDs were not good enough to give her access. She was visibly emotional and shy at times. Her voice was perfect though. At one point she has three people playing sax in different parts of the venue. New Bikini and Hard Drive were really emotional, and it was beautiful to see the crowd reaction to the latter. Unfortunately it was a short set, about an hour. But every minute was worth it.

Attachment 12987
Ah shit, I hope she does that with the saxophones at a show where she's the opening act.