Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow I am liking this new The War on Drugs album a lot more than the last one.

Question.

What did people think of this song? And what do you think of it now? All these years on?

I still think it's pretty special, though oversaturated. A great example of some random band absolutely nailing it once.

Wow I am liking this new The War on Drugs album a lot more than the last one.

I'm learning I feel the same way about every War on Drugs album: a handful of tracks that hit really hard interspersed with a lot of stuff that blends together unmemorably. I do still really like the band though.

Question.

What did people think of this song? And what do you think of it now? All these years on?

I still think it's pretty special, though oversaturated. A great example of some random band absolutely nailing it once.

For me, the two songs that stand out from that category of "indie artists who had a mainstream hit" are Midnight City and Walking on a Dream.

if there's a better song that went totally unreleased and unacknowledged by the band that made it than this one, please share.

Last edited:
They are the most effortlessly cool band. A ton of work goes into it but they never let you seem them sweat.

Too lazy to share the lead single, huh?

Friggin' Cobbler.

This fucking cooks. Britt Daniel still has the best rock & roll voice in music.

Great song and a cool film clip. I hope I like the new record as much as I like They Want My Soul, which I fucking adore and remains the only Spoon record of what I've heard to really capture my attention.

Chris Martin of all people is curating a new Fela Kuti box set. The guy has good taste at least.

Jónsi (of Sigur Rós) has a new album out - Obsidian. I've been listening to it while meditating, and it's beautiful so far.

Pavement Announce 2022 North American Reunion Tour Dates

I’ll prob skip this, too afraid of getting another set list made up mostly of Slanted & Enchanted and Crooked Rain songs like on the last reunion tour. But maybe with the Terror Twilight deluxe edition coming soon they’ll be more adventurous.

I just had a look at those 2010 setlists, they're fucking perfect to me, having only really spent time with Crooked Rain outside of the excellent Quarantine the Past best of. Shame they haven't played Fillmore Jive in nearly 30 years.

I might go to both LA shows. At the very least, I'm getting tickets for the Saturday gig.

Terror Twilight is by far my least favorite Pavement album but wouldn't mind Spit on a Stranger or Major Leagues finding their way into the mix. As is, I thought the 2010 setlists were incredible and regret not going to that tour.

Last edited:
New song!

So pretty. She opened her show with this one when I saw her.

In the other forum there are lists of indie/alt groups with the most impressive five-year runs. One that definitely should be mentioned is Stereolab 93-97. You could stretch it 92-99 if you wanted to.

The music kicking in at the beginning of Don’t Shut Me Down is probably my favorite part of the entire album. That song is quintessential ABBA.

New Beach House album coming in four installments, with the first one dropping tonight.

Any thoughts on the new Snail Mail? I don't think anyone has mentioned it here yet and it got a BNM from Pitchfork.

I was about to buy the mp3 album on Amazon and then did a quick search on Bandcamp. It's there for $9.99 and if memory serves the artist gets a significantly bigger cut so I'll be getting it there instead.

Any thoughts on the new Snail Mail? I don't think anyone has mentioned it here yet and it got a BNM from Pitchfork.

I was about to buy the mp3 album on Amazon and then did a quick search on Bandcamp. It's there for $9.99 and if memory serves the artist gets a significantly bigger cut so I'll be getting it there instead.

My first impression was it dips its toe in the water of some interesting styles and textures but doesn't really commit to them, instead aiming for the big anthemic chorus thing quite a lot. I did enjoy it but I feel like there were quite a few missed opportunities.

Enjoying this ABBA album a lot. I'll be honest, as a lifelong fan, the first single - "I Still Have Faith In You" - didn't do a whole lot for me. The second single - "Don't Shut Me Down" - on the other hand, is one of the record's stronger tracks.

"When You Danced Me With Me"(with its Irish flavor), "Keep An Eye On Dan", and "Just A Notion"(maybe the most Abba-ish song here) are bangers, and any one of them would've made a better lead-off single imo.

"Little Things" is warm, comforting lullaby-ish Christmas song.

The closer "Ode To Freedom" is pretty gorgeous.

Overall, I'm pleased with it - it's always a treat when you get good new music from an artist you thought was completely done.

Also, I've been listening to the new Tori Amos record, Ocean to Ocean. It was apparently written and recorded when she was in pandemic lockdown at her home in England. I haven't paid much attention to her post-90s output, but there's some buzz about this being her best record in many years. I think there may be something to that. I'm quite enjoying it. It's a pretty somber affair, but it's well done imo.

Standout tracks - "Devil's Bane", "Swim To New York State", the title track, "29 Years", and "Birthday Baby", as well as the single "Speaking With Trees".

New Beach House album coming in four installments, with the first one dropping tonight.

Funny how little they change and how good they continue to sound. I enjoyed this a good deal, especially the first two songs, though I’m somewhat bummed that Victoria doesn’t sing lead vocals on the best song of the bunch, Superstar (come to think of it, the intro it sounds a bit like M83 circa Saturdays + Youth).

Michael Stipe speaking the truth: "I’m not really a Beatles fan, though. I acknowledge their genius, but I’m just not the generation that grew up with them. It’s not something I’m personally drawn to, and that’s gotten me into a lot of trouble in the past."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom