Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-24-2021, 12:36 AM   #381
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,343
Local Time: 09:40 PM
I laughed at Pink Floyd and Roger Waters playing separate dates a month and a half apart. Also, Roger solo was big enough to play the Garden by himself? OK!

Knowing what I know now, Bowie would have to be one of the two, even if Never Let Me Down is crappy. It will always hurt that I never got to see him. The other would probably be U2 because Joshua Tree is a classic and that was a bastardized version of Pink Floyd. The Cure would be right up there, but I'm not a big fan of the album they were touring that year.
__________________

LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:49 AM   #382
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,103
Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2inUtah View Post
Saw this on Twitter

Attachment 12891

U2 and Bowie?


Or the cure

Or tina turner and wang chung just to feel what life was like in the 80s
__________________

LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:53 AM   #383
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,343
Local Time: 09:40 PM
Even with the shitty Never Let Me Down songs this setlist is full of gems:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david...-53d0eb85.html
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:54 AM   #384
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,494
Local Time: 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2inUtah View Post
Saw this on Twitter

Attachment 12891

U2 and Bowie?
Getting SUPER analytical with my answer here. And making some assumptions.

If I KNOW that David Bowie is going to keep touring for the next 13 years and the choice is to see him tour this album or Heathen, I would pass on the Bowie show because of what album he's touring.

If I DON'T know that Bowie keeps touring, it's tempting.

Whether I know the future or not, the U2/Pogues bill is too good to pass up.

My second choice would actually very likely be Bryan Adams / The Hooters. I'm more into a lot of these opening act gigs and all of my favorite artists are touring some of my lesser favorites of theirs.

Tom hadn't released his two best albums yet. Erasure hadn't released some of their best music yet, plus I'm not sure I like that billing with DD.

Tina Turner / Wang Chung is probably too hard to pass up, though, now that I Think about it.

So yeah, U2/Pogues & Tina Turner/Wang Chung has to be it.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:58 AM   #385
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
U2inUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Utah
Posts: 3,203
Local Time: 10:40 PM
I think my next choice might be Depeche Mode. That was the same tour they filmed Depeche Mode 101 from the Rose Bowl. That would have been a fun tour to see them on.
U2inUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:14 AM   #386
Blue Crack Addict
 
the tourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,717
Local Time: 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2inUtah View Post
Saw this on Twitter

Attachment 12891

U2 and Bowie?


U2 and The Cure 100% for me. That’s two of my three all time favorites (the Beatles would make the third).
the tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:15 AM   #387
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,494
Local Time: 09:40 PM
I just went and found some video from the MSG show, there's a bunch of good footage of it. Fun times, this is one of the broken arm shows.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:26 AM   #388
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
U2inUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Utah
Posts: 3,203
Local Time: 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Tina Turner / Wang Chung is probably too hard to pass up, though, now that I Think about it.

So yeah, U2/Pogues & Tina Turner/Wang Chung has to be it.
Ha I'd be down for Wang Chung. I think they were pretty big in '87. My older sister had that album (Mosaic) and we took a trip that summer to Disneyland. I have distinct memories of Wang Chung playing over and over in the car as I experienced seeing southern California for the first time.
U2inUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:18 AM   #389
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 41,048
Local Time: 09:40 PM
I agree with Ashley's thinking. If this is the only chance I have to see Bowie, sure (I never did get to see him because I was in Europe while the A Reality Tour was in the US). But if not, I'd wait until a better era. Hell, I'd even see Bowie/Nine Inch Nails over this.

I actually did see Iron Maiden in 1987 (at the Rosemont Horizon in Chicago) so I don't have to consider that as an option. Amazing show. But I would have preferred seeing the previous Powerslave tour which was famously documented with a live album and video release.

I was thinking about Madonna, but she was still touring True Blue/Who's That Girl since Like A Prayer wasn't until 1989. If we were talking that later Blonde Ambition tour, I'd be picking that, easily, as in real life I didn't see Madonna until the Hard Candy tour.

Depeche Mode and The Cure are two acts I did see in the early 90s, so I'm not totally desperate here, but as Utah said, DM was touring Music For the Masses which was pretty major. The Cure also touring a big album with Kiss Me x3. And I'd give them the nod over DM just because of the musicianship, they are a towering live act. Also, get a load of this setlist:
 

Eyemou (Intro film)
The Kiss
Torture
All I Want
A Japanese Dream
Catch
Just Like Heaven
Hot Hot Hot!!!
If Only Tonight We Could Sleep
Like Cockatoos
The Walk
In Between Days
How Beautiful You Are...
The Perfect Girl
The Snakepit
A Forest
Fight

Encore:
Close to Me
Let's Go to Bed

Encore 2:
One More Time
Charlotte Sometimes
Shiver and Shake

Encore 3:
Three Imaginary Boys
Primary
Boys Don't Cry
Why Can't I Be You?


That's insane. Most of the new album (which Ashley wouldn't like) but also a Murderer's Row of classics.


So my answer is either U2/Bowie or U2/The Cure.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:23 AM   #390
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 41,048
Local Time: 09:40 PM
Also should tip my hat because there are a number of other great shows at MSG that year. Paul Simon touring Graceland, Eddie Murphy at his peak, Petty, and while I'm not into them, Yes and Rush probably put on great performances.

And you have to be impressed that Grateful Dead was still doing 4-night stands at a venue that large.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:24 AM   #391
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,102
Local Time: 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2inUtah View Post
Saw this on Twitter

Attachment 12891

U2 and Bowie?
U2 Bowie, because Floyd were way past their prime by then. Not interested in anyone else really, Eddie Murphy aside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Even with the shitty Never Let Me Down songs this setlist is full of gems:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david...-53d0eb85.html
Fuck this just made me so sad

Sons of the Silent Age!!

And man, that encore would be fucking killer.
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:35 AM   #392
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,747
Local Time: 12:40 AM
Probably U2 and Depeche Mode for me.

I'd have rather seen Pink Floyd on the Division Bell tour.

I love Yes but that album was...not very good.
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:22 AM   #393
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 31,658
Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2inUtah View Post
Saw this on Twitter

Attachment 12891

U2 and Bowie?
I saw several of those shows in 87 (not at MSG, but at venues in New England)

Saw:

Ratt/Poison (which for some reason nobody thought to name the Rat poison tour or similar)
Huey Lewis
Bon Jovi
Billy Idol/The Cult
Motley Crue/Whitesnake
Bowie
U2 (3 shows)
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:41 AM   #394
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 26,827
Local Time: 11:40 PM
Tom Petty and U2 for sure, but damn some of those hair bands would have been fun too.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:44 AM   #395
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 41,048
Local Time: 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
I saw several of those shows in 87 (not at MSG, but at venues in New England)

Saw:

Ratt/Poison (which for some reason nobody thought to name the Rat poison tour or similar)
Bon Jovi
Billy Idol/The Cult
Motley Crue/Whitesnake
My condolences.

 
I did see Def Leppard on the Hysteria tour.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:30 PM   #396
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 31,658
Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
My condolences.

 
I did see Def Leppard on the Hysteria tour.
 
I saw the Hysteria tour as well
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:36 PM   #397
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 31,658
Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
I saw several of those shows in 87 (not at MSG, but at venues in New England)

Saw:

Ratt/Poison (which for some reason nobody thought to name the Rat poison tour or similar)
Huey Lewis
Bon Jovi
Billy Idol/The Cult
Motley Crue/Whitesnake
Bowie
U2 (3 shows)
Actually need to add a couple. Looking at the list I also saw Tom Petty and Eddie Murphy in 87.
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:00 PM   #398
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,494
Local Time: 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Also should tip my hat because there are a number of other great shows at MSG that year. Paul Simon touring Graceland, Eddie Murphy at his peak, Petty, and while I'm not into them, Yes and Rush probably put on great performances.

And you have to be impressed that Grateful Dead was still doing 4-night stands at a venue that large.
Ok, wait, if Simon was touring Graceland, that's a no-brainer for me. I thought it would've been a different album.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:01 PM   #399
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,494
Local Time: 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
I saw several of those shows in 87 (not at MSG, but at venues in New England)



Saw:



Ratt/Poison (which for some reason nobody thought to name the Rat poison tour or similar)

Huey Lewis

Bon Jovi

Billy Idol/The Cult

Motley Crue/Whitesnake

Bowie

U2 (3 shows)
I was extremely curious about that Billy Idol/Cult show. Do you remember much about it? That sounds like a damn good time.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:22 PM   #400
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,714
Local Time: 12:40 AM
U2 and Floyd for me.

I think you guys are underselling Floyd. I disagree with calling it a "bastardized" version of the band just because Waters wasn't there; it was the same three guys outside of him. Gilmour hadn't lost a thing in terms of his playing ability and the stage show was pretty epic, judging by the DVD/YT videos.

You'd still be getting a handful of all-time classics:

One Of These Days
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Wish You Were Here
Time
Us And Them
Money
Comfortably Numb
Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2

And imo there are at least two AMLOR songs that are worth the price of entry in Learning To Fly and On The Turning Away, the latter especially.

On the other hand, that Bowie setlist does little for me. Heroes is the only song from any of the Berlin albums, and not a thing from Hunky Dory or Ziggy. Although he did Big Brother on the second night - I love that song, that would've been cool.

JMO.
__________________

namkcuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×