Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got there at like 10:40 yesterday, 20 minutes before opening. After they let the first 100 or so people in at 11:00, I think waited less than 30 minutes after that.

Interesting, because I saw Genesis Owusu at the Corner a few nights ago and I was disappointed at the lack of moshing :lol:

He was great, suspect it could be the last time I see him at a venue that small.

I suspect Melburnians might be a bit more hesitant to get right up close to one another than people in some other parts of the country! Definitely in Wollongong there has been the regional mindset of "covid is something happening somewhere else", as if the fact this city is routinely ignored in state politics and mocked regularly by outsiders means that covid too will stay away.

It's wild how good Snoop still is after all these years, how still well-regarded he is, despite the fact he's been doing the same thing for nearly 30 years, and 'sold out' about a billion times (he does food delivery ads here in Australia).

A strange request... but here goes. My partner Em's birthday is coming up, and there's a pottery artist she loves in the States, but she doesn't ship to Australia. Wondering if someone would be kind enough to lend me their address and go to the effort of getting it sent to my house, I would obviously cover all the costs!

Ashley had some things come up with her family and went out to visit them this past week, so she didn't have time to finish her list.

Ashley had some things come up with her family and went out to visit them this past week, so she didn't have time to finish her list.

Well, it looks like she'd be in the third group if she wants in - which won't be for 2-3 weeks it looks like - so she could probably still participate if she has the time before then.

We'll see. I have a lot going on right now at home as well. I have something but it's so barebones and I was having some pretty nasty Playlistblock with it. I took today off, for traveling home, maybe I'll finish it up tonight. If I don't, it's not happening.

Yeah, I’ve had fragments of different playlist ideas floating around for a few years, but just haven’t had the time to put one together in a satisfactory way. I made an attempt several weeks ago, but life got in the way.

I do have a relatively complete playlist of recent stuff that I enjoy listening to, but it’s nothing earth shattering and, quite frankly, a bit predictable.

Looks like LC! are gearing up again :hyper:

I'm of the view their two most recent albums have been fucking great - I actually would probably rate them both behind only Romance is Boring, even ahead of WABWAD and HONY. They definitely lost something when Aleks left, but they've been a band more than three times as long without her now, and though I don't think their music has been as vital since she left, they're still really fucking good.

I figured that was just for a reissue of Hello Sadness? Damn I would love for that to be true.

I restored your mother's faith in men, whilst boring you to death.

I walked into the room to see my ex-girlfriend, who, by the way, I'M STILL IN LOVE WITH, sucking the face of some pretty boy
With my favourite band's most popular song in the background
Is it wrong that I can't decide which bothers me the most?

Wear your best suit, all these people are watching
Cos baby you'll need all those fingers for crossing

OH WE KID OURSELVES THERE'S FUTURE IN THE FUCKING
BUT THERE IS NO FUCKING FUTURE

oh if it's that I'll be fucking devastated lol. Hello Sadness kind of sucks. my least favourite record of theirs.

Yeah. I meant that I’d love for a new record to be true. I’m ok without a Hello Sadness reissue, even if there are a few songs that I really like in that record.

Looks like LC! are gearing up again :hyper:

I'm of the view their two most recent albums have been fucking great - I actually would probably rate them both behind only Romance is Boring, even ahead of WABWAD and HONY. They definitely lost something when Aleks left, but they've been a band more than three times as long without her now, and though I don't think their music has been as vital since she left, they're still really fucking good.

The devaluing of HONY is one of the most baffling things on this forum. The lyrics aren’t as deeply personal as Gareth’s later, self-critical writing, but they are Malkmus-level brilliant and hilarious, and with the music it’s not just the energy and vitality you mentioned but the damned catchiness of it, it’s hook after hook and sing-a-long after sing-a-long, and while I do tend to prefer when a band grows more sophisticated (Romance is Boring is a close #2 for me), these guys struck gold right out of the gate. It’s intoxicating stuff, and a better debut than The fucking Strokes, that’s for sure.

I wish Shouter was here to put everyone in their place.

Romance Is Boring and We Are Beautiful are my favorites but HONY is up there. No Blues after that.

I get that criticism, and I guess it's fair enough, but seems like a weird juxtaposition to LC!, which is not what I would call a working class band.

I don’t know, their debut seems to be considered the best of the decade by many? And it’s a pretty one-note assortment of songs with little depth, all oddly written by the singer who doesn’t even play an instrument.

They’re posers. At least Vampire Weekend didn’t act like they had punk cred.

Funeral was the best debut of that decade in my opinion (and probably in general among critics?), and I love Is This It?

I think being somewhat oblivious to the hype at the time made me appreciate the record for what it was rather than the silly “this is going to save rock n roll” stuff. It’s a pretty amazing collection of songs, though, one note or not.

Fleet Foxes was my favorite debut of the decade. I’m a weirdo who thinks Room On Fire is much better than Is This It.

I don’t know, their debut seems to be considered the best of the decade by many? And it’s a pretty one-note assortment of songs with little depth, all oddly written by the singer who doesn’t even play an instrument.

They’re posers. At least Vampire Weekend didn’t act like they had punk cred.
Julian Casablancas plays guitar and piano, you dumbass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom