Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[tweet]1421747848551354372[/tweet]

Nerdy story time from me.

So I bought Overview on a Phenomenal Nature from a local record shop. All the prints had sold out online, but I found a local store that was stocking it. I bought it (for fucking $60), turned out to be one of the coloured limited editions. When I opened it however, it didn't come with a download code or the lyric insert, which all the editions on her website/Bandcamp/the label's website said it came with.

So I emailed the label, telling them what I'd purchased (+ proof) and asking for a code and the insert to be mailed out to me. I figured either a) they wouldn't reply or b) they'd so no we can't do it lol nice try buy the digital edition again. But they got back to me within 24 hours with a code & a PDF to the insert. Then I went down to my local Officeworks (our version of Staples, maybe?) and went up to the printing counter and asked them, can you print this, but on heavier, more solid paper, in full colour, in 11.5 in by 11.5 in? And it cost me all of $2.80 and 20 minutes of my time, and they printed it, and then cut it down to size, and so now I've got An Overview on Phenomenal Nature on vinyl, the digital version in my itunes, and the official lyric insert printed of my own accord.

So cool, because the label would have been well within its rights to either not reply or say no. Very kind of them.

Nice. Small labels are the best. I missed the colored editions, but pre-ordered the new black version that is (was?) on sale through bandcamp. Looking forward to it.

I figured you might be interested, given the focus is on empowering women in music, but maybe you don't care about that as much as you claim to...

I figured you might be interested, given the focus is on empowering women in music, but maybe you don't care about that as much as you claim to...

I’m sure he cares, I just imagine he’s read the only conversations going on here on interference and is returning the ribbing.

Happy 40th birthday MTV.
Your life peaked when you were a toddler, its been all (way) downhill since.

I remember being obsessed with MTV in late 86/87 (I was 9 going on 10 years of age) in hopes of seeing the videos for Kenny Loggins Danger Zone and any by the Beastie Boys.

But I also remember my grandma forbidding me from watching it.. I think she thought all hair metal bands were satanic.

But thankfully MTV was still relevant during the early to mid 90s when I was a teenager and I witnessed the rise of alternative rock and got to record every U2 video at the time during my obsessive U2 fandom years.

It truly was a great time.

I’ve been listening to FUGAZI a lot lately and I’m reminded of how incredible a run they had before calling it quits in 2002.

Surreal to see my band’s name advertised on the storefront at Sonic Boom Records in Ballard (that’s near Seattle for those who don’t know - where my Dannyboy and Cori at?!).

You ever have one of those songs you've heard a million times, but never really thought about who did it? I just learned "Owner of a Lonely Heart" is by Yes.

What's an obscure song you get stuck in your head and find yourself singing constantly for no good reason?

For me it's Pray for Rain by Massive Attack. I love the song, but I reckon I find myself singing it at least three times a week, even if I haven't listened to it in months or even tears.

Has anyone listened to Marianne Faithfull's new record with Warren Ellis? She reads poetry atop his ambient music (which also contains contributions from Eno and Nick Cave). It's really beautiful and calming. The opening track borrows directly from Lavender Fields from Carnage.

Has anyone listened to Marianne Faithfull's new record with Warren Ellis? She reads poetry atop his ambient music (which also contains contributions from Eno and Nick Cave). It's really beautiful and calming. The opening track borrows directly from Lavender Fields from Carnage.

No but I definitely will.

It got a middling review from Pitchfork but upon listening for me it seemed to exist outside of the standard 'album', and so it's one of the better things I've ever heard this year because it just immediately struck me as a beautiful, calming, relaxing piece of art that I'll come back, irrespective of how 'good' it is as an album. Could do without the last track though.

Also, Bob Dylan has been accused of sexually assaulting a 12-year-old in 1965. He's strenuously denied the claim and will fight it.

This is one small way in which I'm glad Bowie is dead, as I reckon there's some skeletons in his closet that I'm selfishly glad didn't come out while he was alive :reject:

This is one small way in which I'm glad Bowie is dead, as I reckon there's some skeletons in his closet that I'm selfishly glad didn't come out while he was alive :reject:

well... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lori_Mattix

it hurts my heart that bob dylan is accused of such a thing too. i hope for the sake of everyone involve that it isn't true, though i'm not sure how the truth can be ascertained for sure either way 56 years after the fact.

Last edited:
Listened to Secret Machines - Now Here Is Nowhere yesterday. "You Are Chains" still hits for me. Just on a big 2004 kick lately.

A random post for the random thread:

A couple months back, Dave posed a question in here about whether or not greatest hits albums were a thing of the past, and whether any artists that came to fame after the 90s had put one out. I'd meant to get into the subject then, but it slipped my mind, and for some reason it popped back in last night. No idea why, but it did, so here we go.

First, with regard to the initial question - I really thought about it and the only example I could think of was that the White Stripes put one out last year. Looking at the field of eligible artists who have the body of work to justify it, I fully expect Coldplay(debut album was in 2000) to do it at some point.

But one of the replies to Dave's question mentioned classic compilations by the likes of Billy Joel and Journey, and it got me thinking about the greatest compilations. Here's what I've come up with, in no particular order, starting with the aforementioned two:

Billy Joel - Greatest Hits I&II - 1985 - Not one weak track across two discs. This is what got me into him when was 11, 12 years old, and I'll always think he's one of the greatest songwriters ever. There was a volume III a decade later covering his final three albums - The Bridge, Stormfront, and River Of Dreams - but while good, it's not as essential as this. The "new" track "The Night Is Still Young" is an under-appreciated classic imo.

Journey - Greatest Hits - 1988 - I mean, they've pretty much made a career since Perry's departure of just touring this compilation over and over again with singers(Augeri, Pineda) doing Perry impressions(good ones, but still). So many killer tracks. But it's the the definition of a compilation where if you have it, you don't feel like you need to dig any deeper into their catalogue.

Queen - Greatest Hits I&II(or I-III) - 1981/1991/1999 - Three different comps that have been packaged together over time. I have the I&II box and it's staggering how consistently great every track is. They were what you'd call a "singles band" and Freddie was a singular talent, and this comp shows that.

ABBA - Gold + More Gold - 1992/93 - Wiki calls the first one, one of the most influential compilations ever, and I think's accurate. The group had been sort of forgotten about in the decade after their disbanding, and these comps, released in back-to-back years, revived their popularity and introduced the music to a new generation.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits - 1993 - All killer no filler. A great display how many classic singles they had in the 70s and 80s and into the early 90s. You might go with "The Best Of Everything" comp put out after Petty's untimely passing, as it includes everything from this 93 release(except for the cover of Something In The Air) plus Wildflowers tracks, Room At The Top from Echo, and other later stuff, but I have personal nostalgia for the 93 comp.

Aerosmith - Greatest Hits - 1980 - Their first comp - which covers only their pre-MTV, pre-comeback early period, and is lean at only 10 tracks and 37 minutes - is still probably their most famous. It's interesting, they have later comps with everything from this one(except for Kings and Queens, which is close to a dealbreaker for me as that's one of my favorite tunes of theirs) plus later stuff, but this comp seems to be the one that gets remembered.

Simon & Garfunkel - Greatest Hits - 1999 - Twenty tracks with nary a bad note. I was gifted this in 2003 and listened to it a lot leading up to seeing them during their reunion tour that year, and it remains a favorite. It's pretty much perfect.

U2 - The Best Of 1980-1990 - 1998 - Had to include it. In contrast to its successor, this comp hit it out of the park. I sometimes think it isn't given enough credit for jump starting the band's 2000-2006 renaissance. I absolutely think it laid the groundwork. You wish Bullet, RTSS, Gloria, etc would've been there, but every track there is classic, the B-Sides disc is one of the best ever imo, and it even spawned a hit single in Sweetest Thing.

Rolling Stones - Forty Licks - 2002 - I gather that not all hardcore Stones fans love this one, that they maybe see it the way some of us see The Best Of 1990-2000 - two many new songs, glaring omissions, etc. But I've always been a casual Stones fan, and this comp has every track I'd think of to listen to and is a great primer. The first disc especially is great.

Pearl Jam - Rearviewmirror - 2004 - This is a really great summation of their career up through Riot Act. My only real complaint is that I would've liked to see In My Tree from No Code there, but that's picking nits. They even remixed some of the Ten tracks, which I guess would be a plus if you don't like the production on that album.

Ramones - Hey Ho! Let's Go: The Anthology - 1999 - There are so many songs here, so it's not as consistent as some of the others, but it's pretty darn complete.

Depeche Mode - The Singles 81-85/86-98 - 1985/1998 - The first was released in 85, the second in 98, and they were subsequently sold together, I believe. It's a near perfect snapshot of their work in the 80s and 90s, even including a stellar live version of Everything Counts. I say near perfect, because of the lack of SOFAD's "One Caress", which I feel is a rather huge omission.

Beastie Boys - Beastie Boys Anthology: The Sounds Of Science - 1999 - I had just gotten into the group with Hello Nasty a year earlier, and this comp solidified my fandom. In addition to a stellar two-disc lineup of songs, it spawned the single "Alive". It's not flawless - the flow is kind of all over the place and there are some significant omissions - "No Sleep Till Brooklyn" comes to mind - but it's still a really solid comp.

Beatles - Beatles 1 - 2000 - This was an enormous success. It's impossible to make a Beatles comp that doesn't leave many, many tracks out, and this one is no exception. I think if you pair it with Love, it feels more complete. Still, if you just put the album on, you soon forget about what's missing and enjoy every single minute.

REM - In Time(WB material)/And I Feel Fine(IRS material) - 2003/2006 - This is two different comps for different periods of their career, but I feel they compliment each other very well. They released a career spanning comp after they retired, but I'd take this pair over it for the simple reason that the latter comp omits "Perfect Circle", which to me is almost inexplicable.

The Doors - The Best Of The Doors - 1985 - Probably the best Doors comp, great intro to group. No major omissions imo.

Tori Amos - Tales Of A Librarian - 2003 - A compilation covering her first four albums(which are still her most well-known). It's not as remembered as some of these others, but I think it's really, really good.

I could go on, but I think I'll stop there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom