Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

We have a lot of overlap, unsurprisingly:

1. Black Midi - Cavalcade
2. Fievel Is Glauque - God's Trashmen Sent to Right the Mess (I highly recommend this one to Laz if he hasn't heard it)
3. Origami Angel - Gami Gang
4. Floating Points, Pharaoh Sanders & The London Symphony Orchestra - Promises
5. Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Carnage
6. Cassandra Jenkins - An Overview on Phenomenal Nature
7. Tyler, the Creator - Call Me If You Get Lost
8. Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee
9. Cities Aviv - The Crashing Sound of How It Goes
10. The Weather Station - Ignorance
11. Faye Webster - I Know I'm Funny haha
12. Sweet Trip - A Tiny House, In Secret Speeches, Polar Equals
13. Genesis Owusu - Smiling With No Teeth
14. Asian Glow - Cull Ficle
15. Feu! Chatterton - Palais d'argile
16. Your Old Droog - TIME
17. Duda Beat - Te amo lá fora
18. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!
19. Armand Hammer - Haram
20. Bruno Pernadas - Private Reasons

I’m pretty sure Faye Webster will eventually make it to my list. I’ve only listened to that album once and loved it. Waiting for my vinyl to arrive to check it out again.

That Duda Bear album is so weird for a contemporary Brazilian album, and I couldn’t really get through the whole thing.

My top 10 so far. I'm sure Lucy Dacus will move up as I give that album additional listens. But I'm very set on my top three at the moment.

1. Japanese Breakfast: Jubilee
2. Julien Baker: Little Oblivions
3. Wolf Alice: Blue Weekend
4. Nick Cave: Carnage
5. The Staves: Good Woman
6. Anna B Savage: A Common Turn
7. Lucy Dacus: Home Video
8. Middle Kids: Today We’re The Greatest
9. Still Corners: The Last Exit
10. Lande Hekt: Going to Hell

I've really enjoyed the albums by Cassandra Jenkins, Nick Cave & Warren Ellis, Black Coffee, Genesis Owusu, Hiatus Kaiyote, Leon Vynehall, Tyler the Creator and Modest Mouse.

Cobbler, given how much you like the Cassandra Jenkins album, you should check out Julia Holter if you haven't already. Her album Have You in My Wilderness has a lot of the same vibes IMO.

Mate. Please. :lol: I own that album! Bought it when it came out, it's delicious. Saw her live at a small venue near me as well. Never got around to properly listening to her more recent album though. But thank you for the recommendation.

I do think that cobbler might like the Spellling album I suggested some time ago, even if it hasn’t been the hit I expected it to be.

I've heard it twice and thought it was good but I just didn't care for her voice much. Kind of a Britney Spears delivery but much higher, almost Kate Bush-like. Instrumentally it was fascinating, particularly the baroque elements, but I wasn't a big fan of her use of dark synths on some songs. It got a little soupy.

Her vocals are really peculiar so I hear you. It’s a make or break thing for enjoying this album. I don’t mind them, and have grown to enjoy her quirkiness. She’s clearly having fun. I found the music so interesting though, especially the first half of the album. The opening trio is one of my favorite song sequences this year. It really changes gears in the second half (I didn’t realize it until getting the vinyl, disc 1 is called “above” and disc 2 “below”, which is possibly too on the nose but accurate - made me think of Kate Bush’s Aerial in that way, or even Hounds of Love). I think she could have edited it down a bit, it’s quite long and a couple of songs are a bit too indulgent (I’m thinking of those synth heavy ones). But still a delight all around.

Last edited:
I’m two years late, but Hannah Cohen’s Welcome Home is wonderful.

Gang of Youths have released an EP, called Total Serene, and it's fucking awesome.

The Angel of 8th Ave is classic them, really bloody good, Asleep in the Back is a much more gentle, ambient song that I really like and Unison is a horn and choir-led twist on their music.

From the band:

today we release total serene, and with it, the song “unison”. the track is the first release to feature samples taken from the archives of renowned composer, explorer and recordist david fanshawe. 

in the late 1970’s, fanshawe travelled to the pacific islands and commenced work on a project that was to become the most comprehensive and important collection of indigenous pacific music ever put to tape. his work is invaluable and we’re enormously grateful to his family for their collaboration and their continued work in stewarding this precious and significant collection. you can expect future releases to feature his recordings.

similarly, in early 2020 we traveled to the “polynesian capital of the world” — auckland, NZ — to work with a team of exceptional traditional maori and pasifika musicians, singers and storytellers.

pasifika and maori identity has informed much of the next phase of our work, along with the extraordinary life of dave’s late father, Teleso Le’aupepe.

My friendship group made a playlist cos we're back in fucking lockdown in Melbourne (for the fifth time) and wanted to keep the vibes upbeat. There's been two songs on it that I've been like "I love this song, I've heard it a billion times but I don't know what it's called or who it's by" - More Than This by Roxy Music and Young Turks by Rod Stewart (fuck, the chorus is SO good)

Gang of Youths have released an EP, called Total Serene, and it's fucking awesome.

The Angel of 8th Ave is classic them, really bloody good, Asleep in the Back is a much more gentle, ambient song that I really like and Unison is a horn and choir-led twist on their music.

From the band:

After all this time, all they have to show for it is a fucking EP?

How anticlimactic.

Yeah, well overdue for an album. Want more than an EP… but an Elbow cover. Consider me very intrigued!

I'm not talking about back in the day, I'm talking about the last 20 years of 80s nostalgia and all these staples being played at bars, in clubs, etc.

Some of these overplayed songs don't get old for me; Everybody Wants to Rule the World is just as great as it was 35 years ago.

The last 30 seconds are amazing, I wanted more of that.

Not a huge fan of the band though. I saw them in concert once... I'd seen Roger Waters the night before and was so blown away that I wanted to buy tickets to see his second show, but I had tickets to The War on Drugs and I was going with a friend, so couldn't dog her and sell them off. I regret it. The show was essentially one song lasting for around two hours.

"Under the Pressure" scratches my itch for their music, I don't need anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom