Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Faye Webster's album is super super good

It's basically Lambchop with female vocals and not 65 minutes long

It really is. I mean it starts with a lap steel guitar, so there was no way I wasn’t going to love it.

Can we talk about “Hard Drive” by Cassandra Jenkins? :sad: [emoji813]

We’ve talked a lot about it here! It’s great. I had a complete 180 on that song.

Had Lucy Dacus on in the background when friends were over and a few songs sounded amazing - Triple Dog Dare, Brando, Partner in Crime.

Triple Dog Dare is so good. I love the storytelling. Perfect closer.

Last edited:
I liked the new Lucy Dacus a lot as well. I still think the best song that has come from the Baker/Bridgers/Dacus trio is "Bite the Hand" from the boygenius album. Which I think is a Dacus composition.

We had a lovely weekend away in the Yarra Valley, so much to be said for being out in nature, and driving in gorgeous areas listening to cold, wet weather music. Hard Drive is absolutely my #1 song of the year, it's incredible, and the rest of the album is really good too, and we also played Kaputt, Have We Met, Sleep Well Beast, Lucy Dacus, good times.

Jesus, there are some albums out this year that are killing me with pure joy.

Mikal, your boy is on this one:

I have been listening to MM..FOOD today, for some reason I've never heard it, despite it now being probably maybe nearly a decade since I first heard Madvillainy (just looked it up, almost exactly nine years).

It's great... the first five tracks are stellar.

Jesus, there are some albums out this year that are killing me with pure joy.

Mikal, your boy is on this one:

Whenever I see her name I think of...

a25a51de45ef00b4ac4379d742149ced.jpg

A related thought: I want to see her live, but she only seems to be playing as an opener for other artists. Seems weird to buy a ticket to see the opener only.

A related thought: I want to see her live, but she only seems to be playing as an opener for other artists. Seems weird to buy a ticket to see the opener only.

I've absolutely done it before, but it's not the best experience.

PJ Harvey recently reissued White Chalk complete with demos. Gave me the impetus to listen to it for the first time in a while and reminded me what a singular album it is. I would rate it very high in her discography, however unpopular that ranking would be.

I remember buying White Chalk when it came out in 2007, really disliking it then, and not going back to it until maybe last year, when I found it much better than I remembered. It's still not a favorite, but for me it's on a similar level to Dry and The Hope Six Demolition Project.

To Bring You My Love, Is This Desire?, Stories..., and Let England Shake are my favorites.

Last edited:
I can understand why White Chalk is polarizing. Either way, I think you have to admire how fully it realizes its vision. Even the cover art is evocative.

White Chalk is one of my favorites, almost certainly top 5. I love the execution of its haunting, vulnerable approach. Excellent Halloween and winter music.

Uh Huh Her is probably my least favorite. That one is OK but feels half baked conceptually.

Pretty shocked that Pitchfork gave a 7.0 this weekend to a band fronted by the son of an iconic rock star.

Nope, not talking about Inhaler, but the new Wallflowers album??

I literally haven't heard one of their LPs in 25 years, since Bringing Down the Horse, but I am curious now.

Of course, the review is by All Music Guide's Stephen Thomas Erlewine, so it's not like one of the young turks on the staff was behind the rating.

Apparently the contributions from Butch Walker's production and Shelby Lynne's backing vocals are part of its success.

An impulsive, not overthought Top 10 albums of 2021 so far:

1. The Weather Station - Ignorance
2. black midi - Cavalcade
3. Spelling - The Turning Wheel
4. Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee
5. Cassandra Jenkins - An Overview of Phenomenal Nature
6. Black Country, New Road - For the First Time
7. Genesis Owusu - Smiling with no Teeth
8. 파란노을 [Parannoul] - To See the Next Part of the Dream
9. Feu! Chatterton - Palais d’Argile
10. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!

What strikes me is that I wasn’t into any of these artists before this year. Such a good time for new discoveries.

Angel Olsen doing 80s covers is interference fanfic at this point.

So I've been in Paris for the last few weeks and have been trying to seek out more local music. I can't even remember how, but I stumbled upon this new Parisian label Cookie Records, and was particularly taken with the band Later. (the period is part of their official name, like fun.). I had trouble finding their stuff on iTunes via a search but I think I found them on an Apple Music and then was able to click through until I could buy their stuff. I don't stream but I'm assuming they're on Spotify? At the moment they have 2 EPs from last year (On Time and The Daydream) with 5 songs on each, I think I paid $4 for one and $3 for the other and have been listening to them a lot.

As luck would have it they played a free show last week as part of this battle of the bands series curated by other local industry people, including one of the members of Feu!Chatterton. It was on a boat docked on the river and while the first act played for about 30 minutes, Later. played for something close to 45, which seemed a little unfair but I was glad to see such a long set.

These guys are super young, if I had to guess I'd say they were all around 21-22? The first comparison I'd draw is to Phoenix, as they sing all their lyrics in English, and sound like the more mellow side of that band, with perhaps a bit more R&B influence. Their instrument setup is somewhat similar too:they don't have a set drummer, there's one member who programs beats and sometimes plays electronic drums with sticks. The singer only sings, there's a keyboardist (who does some nice electronic piano work), and then one member who alternates between bass and guitar (I think he's doing something with loops where he can lay down something with one and then play over it with the other).

Anyway, I think they might appeal to some people here, their sound is definitely not what you would expect from a bunch of kids:

Another Cookie artist I dug is Pastel, who's from French Polynesia, and just put out a new single a few weeks ago. Instrumental but I love the island vibes:

There's Saib, more instrumental:

Cookie Records has their own channel on YouTube and I spent an afternoon just listening to a long playlist of their various singles, and there was a lot of great stuff if you're into this kind of thing, plenty of artists to explore, and it's all recent from the last couple years.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-k9U5fvYOjt3KbljH3DsY74WSlnQWCa0

Last edited:
An impulsive, not overthought Top 10 albums of 2021 so far:

1. The Weather Station - Ignorance
2. black midi - Cavalcade
3. Spelling - The Turning Wheel
4. Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee
5. Cassandra Jenkins - An Overview of Phenomenal Nature
6. Black Country, New Road - For the First Time
7. Genesis Owusu - Smiling with no Teeth
8. 파란노을 [Parannoul] - To See the Next Part of the Dream
9. Feu! Chatterton - Palais d’Argile
10. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!

What strikes me is that I wasn’t into any of these artists before this year. Such a good time for new discoveries.
We have a lot of overlap, unsurprisingly:

1. Black Midi - Cavalcade
2. Fievel Is Glauque - God's Trashmen Sent to Right the Mess (I highly recommend this one to Laz if he hasn't heard it)
3. Origami Angel - Gami Gang
4. Floating Points, Pharaoh Sanders & The London Symphony Orchestra - Promises
5. Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Carnage
6. Cassandra Jenkins - An Overview on Phenomenal Nature
7. Tyler, the Creator - Call Me If You Get Lost
8. Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee
9. Cities Aviv - The Crashing Sound of How It Goes
10. The Weather Station - Ignorance
11. Faye Webster - I Know I'm Funny haha
12. Sweet Trip - A Tiny House, In Secret Speeches, Polar Equals
13. Genesis Owusu - Smiling With No Teeth
14. Asian Glow - Cull Ficle
15. Feu! Chatterton - Palais d'argile
16. Your Old Droog - TIME
17. Duda Beat - Te amo lá fora
18. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!
19. Armand Hammer - Haram
20. Bruno Pernadas - Private Reasons

Billy Woods (half of Armand Hammer) and Moor Mother released a collaborative album at the very end of last year called BRASS. I'd highly recommend it if you dug Haram.
My circle of RYM friends loved this album and thought it was one of the year's best. I've heard it once and it was super interesting but too dense to pull everything out of on one listen. Been meaning to get back to it so I'll take this as a reminder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom