Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-08-2021, 10:23 AM   #281
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 41,669
Local Time: 12:08 AM
So I haven't heard the Japanese Breakfast album yet, but I watched her TV performances from last week, and I found her voice a little flat? The music and lyrics were fine but I'm not sure she's a very engaging singer.

Maybe it was nerves of performing live nationwide, idk.

Will still probably check out the album as it's been getting such raves.

In other news, with some trepidation I heard Liz Phair's Soberish, worried that perhaps the reviews were being too kind in hoping for a comeback. The first stretch of songs didn't really bowl me over, but on the back half it really picks up quality-wise and it's an impressive collection of songs.

However, it does seem like there are too many "relationship" type songs and I miss when she was writing about more abstract ideas, portraits, etc. While Guyville was approaching much of it from a romantic angle, Whip-Smart and Space Egg have such a variety of subject matter. Having said that, Soberish is still worthy of attention in that she really does try to use the studio as a sandbox, and her unique guitar tunings and sonic presentation still stand out.

The current 76 on Metascore seems fair enough, taken as a complete package if you're not concerned so much with there being a bunch of all-time classics on it.
__________________

lazarus is offline  
Old 06-08-2021, 06:12 PM   #282
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,865
Local Time: 12:08 AM
I need a thread for midway lists so I will be compelled to get my list together. I've listened to a LOT more music this year than the last couple and I have thoughts to share.

One of which is that I'm very impressed with James' new album, and that was completely unexpected.
__________________

__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 06-08-2021, 10:59 PM   #283
ONE
love, blood, life
 
david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: southern california
Posts: 10,763
Local Time: 12:08 AM
Apple introduced lossless quality streaming today in Apple Music. So I’m listening to The Joshua Tree with AirPods in. There’s a bit of oomph and some newish clarity. Anyway, goodbye data!
david is offline  
Old 06-08-2021, 11:16 PM   #284
Blue Crack Addict
 
the tourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,919
Local Time: 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
Apple introduced lossless quality streaming today in Apple Music. So I’m listening to The Joshua Tree with AirPods in. There’s a bit of oomph and some newish clarity. Anyway, goodbye data!


Hopefully Spotify will follow suite.
the tourist is offline  
Old 06-08-2021, 11:46 PM   #285
ONE
love, blood, life
 
david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: southern california
Posts: 10,763
Local Time: 12:08 AM
Yeah, I’m hearing subtle differences and clarity in instruments I didn’t really notice before.
david is offline  
Old 06-09-2021, 09:02 AM   #286
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,913
Local Time: 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
Apple introduced lossless quality streaming today in Apple Music. So I’m listening to The Joshua Tree with AirPods in. There’s a bit of oomph and some newish clarity. Anyway, goodbye data!


Just a heads up but I’m pretty sure Bluetooth is not lossless, so probably you’re not getting the full value of lossless steaming.
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 06-09-2021, 09:47 AM   #287
Blue Crack Addict
 
the tourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,919
Local Time: 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Just a heads up but I’m pretty sure Bluetooth is not lossless, so probably you’re not getting the full value of lossless steaming.


This is correct. Gotta get wired for full fidelity. That said, lossless through Bluetooth sounds better than mp3 through Bluetooth.
the tourist is offline  
Old 06-09-2021, 10:54 AM   #288
ONE
love, blood, life
 
david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: southern california
Posts: 10,763
Local Time: 12:08 AM
Yep, I’m in my office this morning and I’ve been doing a regular non headphone re-listen of some of my favorite albums I been listening to a lot lately.

I think my first listen of TJT last night via headphones just forced me to REALLY listen to the album again. Also, I think Apple has their own master too. Maybe I was noticing subtle things with the Apple Digital master.
david is offline  
Old 06-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #289
ONE
love, blood, life
 
david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: southern california
Posts: 10,763
Local Time: 12:08 AM
I guess to really get the full experience I’ll need a portable DAC.
david is offline  
Old 06-09-2021, 11:31 AM   #290
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,913
Local Time: 03:08 AM
If you want the full experience I suggest booking the band
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 06-09-2021, 11:35 AM   #291
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 32,733
Local Time: 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
If you want the full experience I suggest booking the band
And hire a caterer.
Hewson is offline  
Old 06-09-2021, 12:55 PM   #292
ONE
love, blood, life
 
david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: southern california
Posts: 10,763
Local Time: 12:08 AM
The band and catering might fit in my office. I’ll call it small desk concert to avoid copyright..
david is offline  
Old 06-09-2021, 02:17 PM   #293
Blue Crack Addict
 
the tourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,919
Local Time: 12:08 AM
Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
Yep, I’m in my office this morning and I’ve been doing a regular non headphone re-listen of some of my favorite albums I been listening to a lot lately.

I think my first listen of TJT last night via headphones just forced me to REALLY listen to the album again. Also, I think Apple has their own master too. Maybe I was noticing subtle things with the Apple Digital master.


I don’t think Apple has their own master - they have a leveler across all music though that is digital. If the album is above a certain LUFS level, they just turn down the volume. If the album is below a certain LUFS level, they add a limiter to bring it up. Basically so albums from any period theoretically sound similar in volume. Spotify does similar. It’s kind of an affront to the loudness wars, but artists have found a way around it by focusing on keeping certain “loud” frequencies loud while cutting “quiet” frequencies. This effects the overall LUFS minimally, but the actual perceptible volume might be different in practice. It’s unfortunate really, because it means instead of just making an album how a band wants it to sound but slamming the volume, artists are literally removing multiple decibels from frequency ranges and boosting others, which I believe is why sibilance has gotten way worse in recent years. Just to sound a little louder than the song that got played beforehand.
the tourist is offline  
Old 06-09-2021, 04:43 PM   #294
ONE
love, blood, life
 
david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: southern california
Posts: 10,763
Local Time: 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
I don’t think Apple has their own master - they have a leveler across all music though that is digital. If the album is above a certain LUFS level, they just turn down the volume. If the album is below a certain LUFS level, they add a limiter to bring it up. Basically so albums from any period theoretically sound similar in volume. Spotify does similar. It’s kind of an affront to the loudness wars, but artists have found a way around it by focusing on keeping certain “loud” frequencies loud while cutting “quiet” frequencies. This effects the overall LUFS minimally, but the actual perceptible volume might be different in practice. It’s unfortunate really, because it means instead of just making an album how a band wants it to sound but slamming the volume, artists are literally removing multiple decibels from frequency ranges and boosting others, which I believe is why sibilance has gotten way worse in recent years. Just to sound a little louder than the song that got played beforehand.


Interesting…
david is offline  
Old 06-09-2021, 06:27 PM   #295
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 32,733
Local Time: 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
catering might fit in my office. ..
Remember, you're catering for Bono.
Hewson is offline  
Old 06-10-2021, 03:04 PM   #296
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 41,669
Local Time: 12:08 AM



“We’re gonna need a bigger boat”
lazarus is offline  
Old 06-10-2021, 06:02 PM   #297
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 32,733
Local Time: 03:08 AM
Hewson is offline  
Old 06-10-2021, 09:27 PM   #298
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,498
Local Time: 05:08 PM
Can someone tell me how far back the dance-y, jaunty, piano/horn thing goes?

I ask because I just heard Lorde's new song Solar Power (it's good!), and was like, this is just Loaded by Primal Scream. And then I googled Lorde Solar Power Primal Scream and saw reviews that mentioned Loaded but also Freedom 90 by George Michael, which I of course know but never actively seek out, and that sounds very similar too. And I figured Primal Scream were so revolutionary, so I assumed Loaded came first, but Freedom did. So was Loaded inspired by George Michael? Or were they inspired by something that goes back further? There's also plenty of Rolling Stones in all of this, were they the first? Did they popularise it?
cobl04 is online now  
Old 06-10-2021, 10:08 PM   #299
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,865
Local Time: 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Can someone tell me how far back the dance-y, jaunty, piano/horn thing goes?

I ask because I just heard Lorde's new song Solar Power (it's good!), and was like, this is just Loaded by Primal Scream. And then I googled Lorde Solar Power Primal Scream and saw reviews that mentioned Loaded but also Freedom 90 by George Michael, which I of course know but never actively seek out, and that sounds very similar too. And I figured Primal Scream were so revolutionary, so I assumed Loaded came first, but Freedom did. So was Loaded inspired by George Michael? Or were they inspired by something that goes back further? There's also plenty of Rolling Stones in all of this, were they the first? Did they popularise it?

I've noticed a lot of stuff by Primal Scream sounds like they copped it off of George Michael.
Tell me with a straight face "Moving On Up" doesn't sound like "Faith".

But I mean, it sounds like you're describing gospel/soul music, if I'm understanding your comparison point correctly. There's a lot of influence from 60s/70s music from those genres in their music.
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 06-10-2021, 10:19 PM   #300
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: turtle island
Posts: 22,293
Local Time: 03:08 AM
in popular music, that goes back at least as far as early-60s james brown. i'm sure the line can be traced back much further through his influences.

__________________

DaveC is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×