Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
are Greatest Hits albums totally a thing of the past now? i can't think of a single artist that broke through after the 90s that has released one of those.

I think due to streaming, you can check out a list of an artist's most popular tracks pretty easily without having to dig for it.

So I think they're kind of irrelevant at this point.

I mean, isn't this what those "This Is [Whoever]" playlists are for? The streaming version of a Greatest Hits.

Have we any sort of midway through the year favorite album lists? I was really on top of music in January but have really fallen off in the last few months and feel like I'm missing a lot. Though getting concerts back this summer/fall will make it easier to keep up with what's going on. I have already purchased tickets to six or seven shows.

My mid-year list looks something like this (alphabetised, not ranked):

- Blóð - Serpent
- Citizen - Life in Your Glass World
- God Is an Astronaut - Ghost Tapes #10
- Comatose - A Way Back
- Kučka - Wrestling
- L'Effondras - Anabasis
- Portrayal of Guilt - We Are Always Alone
- San Salvador - La grande folie
- Unwed Sailor - Truth or Consequences
- White Ring - Show Me Heaven

White Ring or Portrayal of Guilt is probably top so far. The Chills and Flyying Colours have also put out albums I enjoy and I am VERY hyped for The Joy Formidable on the basis of the singles so far. It could be their best album since The Big Roar.

Sweet Trip never misses. Great band.

I hate to say it but what fucking RYMcore, I can't even be bothered listening to this newie.

I was going to add Japanese Breakfast and Wolf Alice to my list, but let's give it another couple of weeks. They are so good though.

I desperately want to love the Wolf Alice album because their debut (and preceding EPs) are definitive of the 2010s for me. The night I saw Purity Ring do an early show then ran across town and somehow got front row for Wolf Alice touring My Love Is Cool is one of my best concert memories ever. Both were essential, vital shows promoting albums I adore.

But.

But. Thing is. I've listened to the Wolf Alice album four times now and I don't remember a single thing from it as I type this. Goddamn.

Quite a few records coming out this year that I wasn't aware of... Modest Mouse, Prince and Torres all have albums coming out, and there's some sort of Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood thing coming too.

I desperately want to love the Wolf Alice album because their debut (and preceding EPs) are definitive of the 2010s for me. The night I saw Purity Ring do an early show then ran across town and somehow got front row for Wolf Alice touring My Love Is Cool is one of my best concert memories ever. Both were essential, vital shows promoting albums I adore.

But.

But. Thing is. I've listened to the Wolf Alice album four times now and I don't remember a single thing from it as I type this. Goddamn.

I don't think any of the last two albums come anywhere close to their memorable debut, but I find myself going back to Delicious Things a lot. Those hushed verses that steadily build up to that addictive line "would you believe I'm in Los Angeles" are so good.

Quite a few records coming out this year that I wasn't aware of... Modest Mouse, Prince and Torres all have albums coming out, and there's some sort of Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood thing coming too.

I liked the lead track from the new Modest Mouse album quite a bit. Is the Thom/Jonny project called The Smile I think? They have performed a few times?

You know, we talk a lot about how Shuttlecock can be overexposed when they're in the middle of an album/tour cycle, but what about these guys?

Foo Fighters Releasing New Disco Album for Record Store Day 2021

:huh:

I swear not 3 days go by between seeing FF or Grohl mentioned somewhere. There was a running joke in the Consequence of Sound FB page comments about how they seemed to post a story about him every day (I literally unfollowed the page because of it).

My neighborhood Target has the best playlist of any retail store I've been in. Visited twice this week: once when I walked in they were playing Beach House's Sparks, and the second time Destroyer's Chinatown.

Update: the Japanese Breakfast album is now firmly in my top 5 for the year so far.

New Helado Negro record coming 22nd October, Far In. This Is How You Smile was one of my favourite records in recent years, so looking forward to it. He's now signed to 4AD.

Getting back on the concert horse.

Screen-Shot-2021-06-22-at-12-03-16-PM.png

When Spoon listed their tour dates they didn't have LA on there at all, weird that this wasn't included.

It's ludicrous that they're opening for St. Vincent, though. They're a considerably bigger act.

It's probably one of those quasi-double bills where one band plays 70 minutes and the other plays 80 or so. Either way it's going to be truncated because it's the Bowl. One thing I hate about that place.

It's too good of a bill for me to pass up though. I've never seen either of them despite being a fan for a decade-plus.

I've seen Spoon at least 3 times but I'm having trouble remembering when the first time was. I think either around Girls Can Tell or Kill The Moonlight. Definitely saw them during the Gimme Fiction tour (the Wiltern, maybe?). And I helped decorate their dressing room when they played Moon Block Party (the offshoot/precursor to Desert Daze) around the time of They Want My Soul, as I was working in the Artist Relations department. Britt Daniel gave a speech during the set talking about how much he loved the vibe of the festival and how nice everyone was that working on the staff was. It gave us all a real boost at the time as I think that was the biggest act we'd signed up to that point.

Also, years earlier I was working in Detroit in 2008 when they toured for Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga but me and my colleague didn't buy tickets because we weren't sure how long we'd be in town. We tried to get some the night of the show as we wound up stil being there, but no dice. They played a venue called The Majestic, which has a smaller bar attached to it called Magic Stick if memory serves. We decided to stay since we were already there anyway. I was at the counter getting a drink when I realized Britt was standing next to me. I told him about our unfortunate situation and he was like, "Ahh sorry man. Hope you get a chance to see us soon." Nice guy.

Damon Albarn Details New Album, Shares Song: Listen

“I have been on my own dark journey while making this record and it led me to believe that a pure source might still exist”

I think I heard Everyday Robots once and wasn't too impressed. This one looks to be pretty downbeat too, I suppose it will depend on what kind of mood you're in.

The title track is a nice piece of music.

Kamasi Washington and Earl Sweatshirt are also playing the Bowl, too bad I won't be back in town. Same with Christina Aguilera and the LA Philharmonic.

Can't say I'm too excited about anything else. Normally I'd be interested in Van Morrison but fuck that anti-vaxxer idiot.

Maybe Herbie Hancock. Or Tame Impala and Perfume Genius in November?

What are you basing Spoon being bigger than St Vincent on? I don't think that's the case at all, I would say the opposite is far more true.

Man, I wish we were getting concerts back too (well, we are, but only Aussie artists really). What are the covid protocols gonna be for these shows? Will you all be seated? Have to wear masks? Limited capacity? Or because most of you are vaccinated it's all sweet?

I am listening to Phenomenal Overview on Nature and it's gorgeous. Very cinematic. It's cool seeing how Kaputt still influences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom