Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't want to go too hard on you, but I couldn't believe in the year of our lord 2021 I once again saw a reference to the Stones as originators of that sound :lol:.

yeah, you're both right, and I'm a little embarrassed I didn't make that connection and only spoke about white artists :reject:

:shrug: i don't think you should be embarrassed, it was an honest question. and i always welcome any excuse to post videos of the hardest working man in show business in his prime.

are Greatest Hits albums totally a thing of the past now? i can't think of a single artist that broke through after the 90s that has released one of those.

I think due to streaming, you can check out a list of an artist's most popular tracks pretty easily without having to dig for it.

So I think they're kind of irrelevant at this point.

It's a shame because Rihanna and Lady Gaga's career retrospectives would have hung with the all time best pop star compilations.

It's a shame because Rihanna and Lady Gaga's career retrospectives would have hung with the all time best pop star compilations.

Agreed. Plenty of artists out there who I wouldn't consider having an all-time classic album, but plenty of all-time classic songs.

I think of older artists like Billy Joel and Journey whose best albums really are their greatest hits (although The Stranger is up there too) and how they benefited from that. Kind of miss it.

It feels as though Sleater-Kinney have polished all of their edges. That’s not a good thing. The new album felt completely innocuous and kind of boring? Maybe Janet Weiss was their engine.

are Greatest Hits albums totally a thing of the past now? i can't think of a single artist that broke through after the 90s that has released one of those.

You mean, apart of the Noel Gallagher best of collection that was released yesterday? :)

It feels as though Sleater-Kinney have polished all of their edges. That’s not a good thing. The new album felt completely innocuous and kind of boring? Maybe Janet Weiss was their engine.

Haven't listened yet, but it's a step down from the last one too?

Yikes.

My main problem with The Center Won't Hold was how slanted it was towards Carrie and Corin seeming to take a back seat, having ostensibly been the lead singer in the past.

Haven't listened yet, but it's a step down from the last one too?

Yikes.

My main problem with The Center Won't Hold was how slanted it was towards Carrie and Corin seeming to take a back seat, having ostensibly been the lead singer in the past.

I'd be curious to hear your opinion once you've heard it, as you've been a fan for much longer than I have. The Center Won't Hold didn't age well for me. I found it ok at first but not as much the last couple of times I heard it. And I agree, it felt like the Carrie-Annie Clark friendship was the driving force there, but also that Annie may have convinced the band to pursue her own interest in poppier, electronic sounds, which did not work well.

The new one... I wouldn't call it bad, but it was completely unremarkable to me. I'd never think that a Sleater-Kinney record might lack energy, but this one does. From their post-hiatus albums, I find No Cities to Love to get the blend of their earlier punk sounds and more traditional indie rock sensibilities right. I love it (probably not a coincidence that I'm very fond of The Hot Rock too). Path of Wellness errs too much on the indie rock side, in a way that did not appeal to me. Admittedly, I haven't paid too much attention to the lyricism yet, and this is one area in which this album is being praised. I also found Carrie's vocals somewhat grating at times.

noel gallagher isn't an "artist that broke through after the 90s".

Depends on how you look at it. Oasis started way after 1990 (debut was released in 1994 I believe) and Noel didn't become a solo artist until 2011.
(But OK, if you think this doesn't fit your criteria, does Joan As Police Woman count? She released an anthology last year.)

i think you're misreading it - i specified after the 90s, not artists who came up in the 90s. so no, oasis/noel doesn't count here. i have never heard of joan the police woman before so can't say anything either way about her.

either way it's really not something to argue or split hairs over, i was just wavy on a friday night and got to wondering about something.

The killers have a mad decent greatest hits record that came out a few years back. They definitely still make a lot of greatest hits records, in my experience, honestly.

Quite a few greatest hits albums but 00s+ artists but are outside of the typical B&C wheelhouse. Hard-Fi, who I really enjoyed, has one. Then there are artists like My Chemical Romance, Ariana Grande, Fallout Boy, Girls Aloud, Daughtry, Keane, Carrie Underwood, and The Weeknd who all seem to have one according to Wikipedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom