Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron yuppie

ONE love, blood, life
Seemingly years have passed since someone other than Cobbler has been mentioned in a title. And this thread is likely to last long enough for Gump to attend said concert in October.

Crazy that thread took us a year. Wonder if that's a record. It's nice to not be mentioned for once. I hope Gump can attend his concert.

Gump, which venue are you seeing Waxahatchee? I’ve got a ticket for her show at Elsewhere.

I bought tickets for Julien Baker, Torres and Lucy Dacus all playing this fall too. It’s such a wonderful feeling to get back to anticipating concerts again.

Gump, which venue are you seeing Waxahatchee? I’ve got a ticket for her show at Elsewhere.

I bought tickets for Julien Baker, Torres and Lucy Dacus all playing this fall too. It’s such a wonderful feeling to get back to anticipating concerts again.

Elsewhere too, the second show (I think). It's a nice little place, and easy enough for me to get to these days.

anyone here had a listen to the daniel lanois record Heavy Sun?
shades of achtung baby on there... after all, he is the producer of that album...

I’m in your hometown right now, mofo! We are doing preliminary design on a new bridge on Forest Street over the railroad tracks

Last edited:
What is considered the best Talking Heads album or what is everyone’s favorite?

I just started a deep dive into their discography. Nothing on ‘77 really grabbed me, outside of Psycho Killer which I’ve heard a hundred times, but More Songs About Buildings and Food was much more interesting.

Remain In Light is the general consensus best album, although you can’t go wrong with Fear Of Music or Speaking In Tongues, which is a personal favorite.

And then there’s always the live Stop Making Sense.

Fear of Music is my favorite Talking Heads album, but they were so consistent through those first four albums that the margin is extremely narrow.

Fear of Music and More Songs... are my two favorite records. I also think that The Name of This Band is Talking Heads needs to be placed alongside those first four records. It's possibly the best live album ever.

I love the scene in 20th Century Women with The Big Country playing on the turntable. I never really took notice of that song until then but now it's one of those tracks where I have to stop whatever I'm doing to listen.

I love the scene in 20th Century Women with The Big Country playing on the turntable. I never really took notice of that song until then but now it's one of those tracks where I have to stop whatever I'm doing to listen.

Same same. I remember coming back from the theater and putting on the record, realizing that it’s one of their best songs.

Live music eh. I can't believe it's now over a year since I saw an international band. Mono played at the Metro in Sydney on 7 March 2020. I remember my mum called me for a chat earlier in the day and she was a little worried I was jumping on a train to Sydney (it's about 90 minutes from Wollongong) and that I'd spend a few hours standing in a crowd. But we agreed the case numbers seemed low enough in NSW for me to probably be OK. Obviously I was. I then had plans to go to a bunch of shows later in March and April, and the next week I watched as one band after another announced postponement or cancellation on social media.

Last November, I was able to attend my first shows in Wollongong - strange but intimate experiences of seated audiences of about 40 people in a pub that I know more for being packed every Friday and Saturday. Egoism came down from Sydney for the first show, then in a really odd experience later that month I was sitting at a table in the front row for Horror My Friend blasting out their punk tunes.

Then last week and again tonight I attended proper standing gigs for the first time since that Mono show. I saw Moaning Lisa in Canberra, which was such a good gig - they're wonderful performers, great stage presence, and I recommend their shows to the other Aussies here even if you're only lukewarm on their recorded stuff. That crowd generally kept a bit of space between everyone, though there were no formal distancing requirements. Without anyone needing to say anything, everyone was really respectful of each other. I think the only time there was anything vaguely approaching a crush was when Moaning Lisa asked a group of really big guys hogging the rail to move back so that women could come to the front for "Carrie".

Flyying Colours' show tonight in Wollongong, though, was jam-packed. I wasn't totally thrilled about that. It was a free set in a pub's beer garden; they put on 4 bands each Sunday, and Flyying Colours are mates from back in Melbourne. I gave the other bands a miss because Essendon were busy winning the footy, but I wandered down for FC. When I got there, I found a huge queue waiting to get in, with a covid capacity limit meaning that new arrivals only got in when other people left. I literally entered just as FC began—and they opened with my favourite song of theirs too! But the controls at the door were a total joke because the beer garden was packed. A gap on the front row somehow appeared in front of me but then I spent the rest of the set with other people pressed against me. And when I left, the dance floor was as tightly packed as I've ever seen it. Look, I know NSW has no covid in the community right now, but I still didn't feel enthused. I confess I'm going to miss some of the personal space I had last year.

I dunno why I just wrote so much, thanks if you read it. It's just nice to ramble at length about music.

Interesting, because I saw Genesis Owusu at the Corner a few nights ago and I was disappointed at the lack of moshing :lol:

He was great, suspect it could be the last time I see him at a venue that small.

Amoeba Music in Hollywood gave away $20 vouchers to the first 500 people in line yesterday, in association with promoting some new TV show called Cruel Summer. You had to use it that day but it was good for anything in the store.

I picked up the new La Femme CD, Paradigmes, which was priced at $18.99 due to being an import from France. I also looked for Feu!Chatterton but they didn't even have it in their computer system. So when I got home I found it on the ImportCDs website (they often have great prices on boxed sets and limited editions) for $15.

The La Femme is fantastic, btw, and I hope people here give it a chance. Another genre-jumping buffet of pleasure.

I'm going today. Tried to avoid the line, but I'm sure it's still chaos even without the freebies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom