Random Music Talk CXXI: Not this time, Crappy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting kind of an Adele vibe from Julien Baker's album. Too much piano, not enough of her guitar. Even kind of saved it for me at the end though.

Last edited:
I saw Julien Baker live for the third time last night. Another great performance. It's a testament to the strength of her songwriting ability that something so simple and sparse is so affecting.

Finally heard Beyonce's Lemonade for the first time today. Thoughts:

Don't Hurt Yourself, Freedom, and Formation are bangers.
She has a hell of a voice.
James Blake showing up out of nowhere is awkward.
Kendrick showing up out of nowhere is awesome.

I had no idea Fever Ray was actually Karin Dreijer Anderson. Haha, I thought it was an 80s band making a comeback.

I had no idea Fever Ray was actually Karin Dreijer Anderson. Haha, I thought it was an 80s band making a comeback.

Neither did I, I was like why the fuck is everyone obsessed with that kind of shitty American 'rock' band from the 90s and 00s where the lead singer has frosted tips and they sing about halos.......

I could not remember Sugar Ray's name.

Not sure if there's a soundtrack coming out or something, but this would be without doubt one of my top tracks of the year so far, and it's from a video game.

Anyone listen to the new Julien Baker? I think it's a hauntingly beautiful record that dives even deeper into her pain and struggles, but also leaves a hint of hope. It's one of the most cathartic, impactful listening experiences I've had this year.
I need to. And soon. She is amazing.

I've never listened to Siouxsie and the Banshees other than the singles, but I Shazam'd something that sounded cool the other week and it was "The Killing Jar." Listening to the album now - dang, clearly I need to dig into their stuff.

I mean, this stuff is beyond belief:

Andrew Muchmore, a lawyer and bar owner, filed a still-pending lawsuit against the city after his bar, Muchmore’s, in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, was slapped with a cabaret violation in 2013 by a police officer who spotted people “swaying” at a rock show while investigating a noise complaint, Mr. Muchmore said.

As someone who lives there, can you explain this to me? It's not making any sense in my head.

This was a law that was passed during the Prohibition that required establishments like bars and music venues to get a “cabaret license”. I guess the idea was to regulate bars and other similar venues.* The license was expensive and many bars wouldn’t try to get it. The law had been subjectively enforced - including not too far in the past during the Giuliani administration with the broken windows approach (minor “quality of life” offenses were used as an excuse to prosecute people, particularly minorities, because of the disproven notion that curbing petty crimes leads to less violent crime). This silly law had never been repealed until now.

*The law may have had racial motivations as it targeted mostly jazz establishments and speakeasies in the 20s.

A really good sleeper album from this year is Big Thief's Capacity. Shark Smile is a hell of a song.

This was a law that was passed during the Prohibition that required establishments like bars and music venues to get a “cabaret license”. I guess the idea was to regulate bars and other similar venues.* The license was expensive and many bars wouldn’t try to get it. The law had been subjectively enforced - including not too far in the past during the Giuliani administration with the broken windows approach (minor “quality of life” offenses were used as an excuse to prosecute people, particularly minorities, because of the disproven notion that curbing petty crimes leads to less violent crime). This silly law had never been repealed until now.

*The law may have had racial motivations as it targeted mostly jazz establishments and speakeasies in the 20s.

Wow. It's boggling my mind. Is it one of these stupid things though, that was just a law in name only that people had been forgotten about and was never enforced? Because I've been to NYC and seen a lot of people dancing???

Wow. It's boggling my mind. Is it one of these stupid things though, that was just a law in name only that people had been forgotten about and was never enforced? Because I've been to NYC and seen a lot of people dancing???

check gump's post at the top of this page, it's been enforced as recently as four years ago.

sounds like one of those laws that only really exist to give cops an excuse to do something.

Big Thief's previous album wasn't much and they sucked so hard supporting Warpaint this year, so I'll pass.

'Fun' fact: Chris Brown's new album has 45 songs and is 2.5 hours long..!

giphy.gif

A very good new non-album single(?) from Ride. :)

This is fucking great, and doesn't sound anything like what's on the new album. So I can see why it wasn't put on there, but I'm bloody glad they've put it out.

Still can't believe that not only have we got new albums from Slowdive and Ride this year, but that they're also both excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom