Random Music Talk CXXI: Not this time, Crappy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone like Ry X?

holy crap, i only just got out from my rock and discovered him yesterday

hints of Jeff Buckley, Damien Rice, Thom Yorke - really beautiful

This reminds me to change to my Halloween avatar. Happy birthday, Mofo.

I can't believe how many people are already doing this on Twitter. It's over two weeks away, people!

I also can't believe how many Australians are doing it, as if we give a shit down here.

Travis informs me people are hating on it.

Never in my life have I meant this more: Fuck. The. Haters.

Anyone heard this new King Krule album?

I listened to it for a second time on the subway last night. It's a smooth, enjoyable late night album. As with his last album, not every track needs to be there.

As an enormous Beck fan going back 12 years, his album is the worst thing he's made since the early 90s when he was dicking around on 4 track recorders, but he's still a better songwriter than almost everyone else going so it's enjoyable enough. Greg Kurstin just absolutely sucks outside of Chandelier and Boy Problems.

Last edited:
Desert Daze festival in Joshua Tree this weekend was a total blast. Hope more of you locals get to check it out next year. I was working with the production team as usual but had a lot of freedom and was able to see most of the acts I wanted to.

Spiritualized is so powerful live and it was great to see them again, even though they still haven't put out new material since the last time I saw them 4 years ago.

Iggy Pop was nuts and intense, I had heard reviews of his FYF set but really you have no idea until you see it for yourself.

My new music crush is French band La Femme, their set was so entertaining, and I need to get their two albums asap. I was majorly bummed when they had nothing at the merch tent because I was ready to buy a shirt right there and help promote the band. Might order one from their website anyway, international shipping be damned.

Yeah, La Femme is great, I had a chance to see them at FYF a couple years ago and they were really charming and fun.

Desert Daze festival in Joshua Tree this weekend was a total blast. Hope more of you locals get to check it out next year. I was working with the production team as usual but had a lot of freedom and was able to see most of the acts I wanted to.

Spiritualized is so powerful live and it was great to see them again, even though they still haven't put out new material since the last time I saw them 4 years ago.

Iggy Pop was nuts and intense, I had heard reviews of his FYF set but really you have no idea until you see it for yourself.

My new music crush is French band La Femme, their set was so entertaining, and I need to get their two albums asap. I was majorly bummed when they had nothing at the merch tent because I was ready to buy a shirt right there and help promote the band. Might order one from their website anyway, international shipping be damned.

I saw all yr friends instagram posts and was wondering if you were there. :up:

I had a listen to a few tracks yesterday and was digging it, fun as hell!

I like it too. Colors is kickass. I'm hardly surprised many are slamming it, the fun-pop-album-from-well-regarded-artist thing usually garners a lot of criticism just for what it is.

I want to go to Desert Daze but my lame husband said no. You guys are so lucky you don't know him. He's a total kiljoy.

New music roundup:

St. Vincent - mASSeduction: One of the most engaging listens of the year, full of sleek n' sexy synth-funk and extremely personal lyricism. The ballads hit a lot harder than last time out and the stiffer, stranger art pop sounds more natural. 8/10

Beck - Colors: One of my musical heroes makes a soundtrack for Urban Outfitters. It's not the worst thing I've ever heard, but it's one of the weakest things I've heard from him. 6/10

Makthaverskan - Ill: A very underrated jangle/gothic rock band from Sweden delivers yet another great album. They sound like a heavier version of early Jezabels. Listen to it on their Bandcamp here: https://makthaverskan.bandcamp.com/ 8/10

Stars - There Is No Love in Fluorescent Light: I dunno man. Nothing stands out. Not enough of the male balance of their typical vocal back-and-forth. It's a little soggy and overproduced. Too slow. One of their weakest albums. 6/10

Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile - Lotta Sea Lice: Not as great as their best work, but pretty great. You can probably guess what this sounds like based on the early singles, or any of Kurt Vile's music. I could have done without Courtney straight up covering a Kurt Vile song, though it is a good song in general (Peeping Tomboy). 7/10

Prophets of Rage - Prophets of Rage: One of the shittiest albums I've ever heard. Remember that awful Le Tigre Hillary Clinton campaign song? The lyrics are like that, but more macho and braindead. Chuck D basically raps about punching Trump supporters in the face for 40 minutes. The music is just horrendous re-casts of old Rage Against the Machine tracks that sound incredibly dated. Tom Morello sounds like a kid on YouTube trying to cover Tom Morello. Absolute fucking trash. 2/10

Last edited:
I want to go to Desert Daze but my lame husband said no. You guys are so lucky you don't know him. He's a total kiljoy.

I wanted to go, but I'm agoraphobic and don't want to drive three hours to Joshua Tree. That's what happened.

this Melkbelly album is interesting, i only heard couple songs off of this new album but I'm very curious about them now

Huh, I'd say that Stars' new album is a return to form after No One Is Lost was pretty dull. The only song I ever listen to from that is Trap Door. I've probably already played the new album more times.

And sweet, I didn't realise the Makthaverskan album was already out. Been looking forward to this. (Though if you want proper great under-rated jangly music from Sweden, go for Westkust, who share a member or two with Makthaverskan.)

Yeah, the Beck album hasn't worked for me yet. I need a few more listens, but that thing is all over the place, and not in a nice, Midnite Vultures kind of way. I had high expectations after Dreams, but it hasn't delivered.

The new Torres is fantastic - I know that others have mentioned it, but it feels like her first fully accomplished artistic statement. I'm seeing her next Friday and it should be great.

Also, one of my favorite albums in recent months is Moses Sumney's Aromanticism. If you like the more delicate parts of Blonde, like Seigfried, check him out.

Though if you want proper great under-rated jangly music from Sweden, go for Westkust, who share a member or two with Makthaverskan.

They're a lot brighter, but still very awesome. I like their last album very much. A lot of talent present in those two bands.

In the US, it's legal to go places without your husband.

Yeah, the Beck album hasn't worked for me yet. I need a few more listens, but that thing is all over the place, and not in a nice, Midnite Vultures kind of way. I had high expectations after Dreams, but it hasn't delivered.

Good to know, since I really don't like Midnite Vultures.

On some days, Midnite Vultures is my hands-down Beck favorite. Other days it's Sea Change. Those aren't usually very fun or successful days.

Oh yeah Iggy is something to behold. I've seen him on many occasions (me and a couple of buddies used to see him every time he came to town for a stretch of about a decade, including that time I almost knocked him off stage), he always delivers.

I only have three of his albums, I think. I like the three I have, and I don't think I need any more.

Which three? I've got seven myself but I don't think I'll be adding Colors to that list. It's okay but nothing special, outside of "Dreams," which is fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom