Random Music Talk CXXI: Not this time, Crappy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember 2016 when we were all like omg this is the worst year ever first Bowie now Prince and now in 2017 we're having a debate about whether nazis are bad or not.
No I don't remember that things have always been this bad and you cannot convince me otherwise.

I was driving by The Echo music venue on the way home from work (it's a couple blocks from my house) and I saw Matthew Sweet on the marquee. He had played there a few years ago and I wasn't in the mood at the time, but on a whim I contacted my friend who works there and got on the list for tonight's show.

I hadn't seen him since the Altered Beast tour back in the early 90s, and while the guy appears to have put on 100 lbs in the interim, his voice doesn't seem to have changed a bit. He sounded great. A mixture of old and new stuff; a handful of tracks from Girlfriend, Beast, and 100% Fun as well as some from his new album Tomorrow Forever. He really has a knack for writing catchy hooks and his retro pop style with harmonized vocals never gets old for me.

His backing band included Ric Menck and Paul Chastain, who have been playing with him for a while and were also in the short-lived band Velvet Crush, who put out the amazing Teenage Symphonies To God. His guitarist, Jason something, did a lot of impressive shredding.

Anyway the big surprise was that late in the set when they performed I've Been Waiting from Girlfriend, Susanna Hoffs of The Bangles fame came up to sing backing vocals. That was quite the treat. In retrospect, not exactly a shocker as the two of them have put out three albums of covers (Under The Covers) and are longtime friends.

This is kind of funny. Belle and Sebastian forgot their drummer at a rest stop near Fargo. Their drummer was not on board.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017...-drummer-at-a-rest-stop-outside-of-fargo/amp/

That's hilarious. Stuart Murdoch had been posting a bunch of road trip photos these last few weeks, they seemed to be having fun. And now this.

At least they are taking it pretty well:

[TWEET]897639250853847040[/TWEET]

The State I Am In (North Dakota) is great.

[TWEET]897669317961166849[/TWEET]

Yep. Pretty damn keen. The Future's Void was a highlight of 2014.

Lots of albums I'm keen to hear coming out on the 25th in fact. Turnover, Hammock, Leprous, Sannhet, The War on Drugs...

Really, really excited about that. I never listened to Sprained Ankle the year it came out but it's been one of my two or three most listened to albums since. She's a superstar. "Appointments" is great.

I need to watch that. The one Vox did about Radiohead's Videotape a few weeks ago was awesome.

Ehh. I didn't like that one as much. There are some things going on in that song, but I don't think they got the syncopation right. It is much less clear-cut than they made it seem (and it's caused by the mix of drums and piano more so than by the piano itself, at least to my ears). But that's mostly nitpicking, and I think the series overall is very promising.

Last edited:
Ryan's back to being a prick lately. FJM has turned into discount Elton John collaborating with r/atheism instead of Bernie Taupin, but attacking the guy out of the blue is a pretty bad look.

But he's completely right about FJM...

Ehh. I didn't like that one as much. There are some things going on in that song, but I don't think they got the syncopation right. It is much less clear-cut than they made it seem (and it's caused by the mix of drums and piano more so than by the piano itself, at least to my ears). But that's mostly nitpicking, and I think the series overall is very promising.

The reason I was so annoyed with that video is it had nothing to say about the most interesting part of the music in the song: the sliding, skittering, completely atonal drum beat that eventually falls apart.

"This is the second time in as many months that Adams has used his Twitter account to publicly attack other musicians. In July, he levied various insults at members of the Strokes, with comments like, “Julian Casablancas: who got you strung out on lasagna tho?”"

Hahahahaha

You haven't posted the link for the song in that thread.

Their last album was dope as hell and was disgustingly underrated, because they made a house record rather than an underground synth pop record. But Zonoscope only had three or four max really good songs. Their change of pace last record might have upset their indie fans but for fans like me who were happy to pop some MDMA and have a good time, it was tremendous. The two singles so far haven't set my world on fire, but, they've both good and seem like a compromise between In Ghost Colours and Free Your Mind, if not quite recapturing the magic of the former or the pure danceability of the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom