Random Music Talk CXXI: Not this time, Crappy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw Paul McCartney last week. Wasn't gonna go because the tickets were so steeply priced, but Mum was super keen and uncharacteristically she said "let's just do it" and splashed out decent tix. Was a great night, filled with anecdotes and no less than 15 Beatles songs. Can't believe the old geezer powered through for 3+ hours.

Highlights for me were Love Me Do and In Spite of All The Danger, which I feel privileged to have experienced. His band were brilliant. His newer song "New" was really good as well. Some lovely tributes to George and John.

Saw Future Islands on Monday night, and Fleet Foxes, Hills, War on Drugs and National in the near future as well. May check out Beck as well. Love having a good handful of gigs to look forward to.

You can count on a few things in life: death, taxes, and people expressing befuddlement every year when the Rock Hall honors the corporate rockers over the art rockers.

B&C might hate Bon Jovi with a passion, but to your average radio rock forty/fifty-something person who's going to the Rock Hall of Fame because "remember when music used to be good?", Bon Jovi is just U2 without the politics. Woah oh we're halfway there, woah-what more in the name of love, etc.

Bon Jovi is just U2 without the politics.

I don't think that's even close to true. When did Bon Jovi ever record something like Zooropa, or Pop, or Achtung Baby? They haven't shown that kind of versatility. Even comparing the bands' music videos and overall aesthetic, I don't think Bon Jovi competes creatively with U2 at all, at least not in their prime. And I think the average music fan can see that.

I can see Bon Jovi being inducted as the archetype for hair bands, which were a significant part of rock music for awhile there. They were one of the biggest of that scene. I agree, though, that Motley Crue or Def Leppard would be worthy, and probably better, representatives of that era.

Last edited:
I saw Paul McCartney last week. Wasn't gonna go because the tickets were so steeply priced, but Mum was super keen and uncharacteristically she said "let's just do it" and splashed out decent tix. Was a great night, filled with anecdotes and no less than 15 Beatles songs. Can't believe the old geezer powered through for 3+ hours.

Highlights for me were Love Me Do and In Spite of All The Danger, which I feel privileged to have experienced. His band were brilliant. His newer song "New" was really good as well. Some lovely tributes to George and John.
I saw him last year. I had a smile on my face for 3 hours.

Bon Jovi is just U2 without the politics.

giphy.gif

HG and cori, you removed the important context of the preceding two clauses! Random middle-aged radio listener doesn't know or care about Zooropa. They just remember being 21 and getting drunk bellowing Pride or Livin' on a Prayer. They're both eighties stadium rock bands that people outside the fandom would not differentiate nearly as much as we do.

I actually was going to add a note about your context, but when I went back to read it, I realized I didn't know what you were getting at.

"...but to your average radio rock forty/fifty-something person who's going to the Rock Hall of Fame ..."

Of course your follow-up post makes a lot more sense!

HG and cori, you removed the important context of the preceding two clauses! Random middle-aged radio listener doesn't know or care about Zooropa. They just remember being 21 and getting drunk bellowing Pride or Livin' on a Prayer. They're both eighties stadium rock bands that people outside the fandom would not differentiate nearly as much as we do.

I still disagree. My friends are those exact middle-aged casual listeners. I work at a place full of them. And when U2 was in town, they all clamored for tickets and talked about how important it was, how meaningful, to have a chance to see legends. At a lunchroom discussion, hair bands are still seen as a joke.

And they're not middle-aged, but my teenage students can tell the difference too. One day I put on Bon Jovi for some reason, and there was a lot of laughing and OMGs. When we listen to U2, I hear a lot about how "My parents love them!" Not the case with Bon Jovi.

Yeah I'm thinking this may be a viewpoint down under that is not held by too many folks in the first world.
Fosters clouds the mind.

I still disagree. My friends are those exact middle-aged casual listeners. I work at a place full of them. And when U2 was in town, they all clamored for tickets and talked about how important it was, how meaningful, to have a chance to see legends. At a lunchroom discussion, hair bands are still seen as a joke.

And they're not middle-aged, but my teenage students can tell the difference too. One day I put on Bon Jovi for some reason, and there was a lot of laughing and OMGs. When we listen to U2, I hear a lot about how "My parents love them!" Not the case with Bon Jovi.

Both Axver and myself are in our late 20s (well, mid-20s for me :D) and there is no sympathy whatsoever. There's none of what you're talking about. They are completely synonymous I find. Is that fair/right? Fuck no, but it's the truth.

It's like some of you have never been to a pub with a cover band cranking out Livin' on a Prayer to a crowd of 45 year old men.

Who goes to pubs filled with 45 year old men?

I don't know about you, but I've got older relatives who like to take visitors like me to their local.

And aren't you a 40-something year old man?

I don't know about you, but I've got older relatives who like to take visitors like me to their local.

And aren't you a 40-something year old man?

Yes, but I’m usually one of the older in a mixed crowd of men and women. It wasn’t to be taken seriously, it just wouldn’t be too commonplace here to find a bar full of mostly over 40 men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom