Random Music Talk CXXI: Not this time, Crappy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't thought of King Of Limbs in years. I remember it being glitch-heavy (which I detest) with completely unmemorable vocals.

I would only rate it ahead of Pablo Honey, but I think Radiohead shot themselves in the foot with that record. Any other artist could put out that record and have it be a great one, but Radiohead's history worked against them. So putting out a short, somewhat slight record that ultimately felt more like an EP didn't work for them.

I never gave it that weight. In Rainbows is in my top handful of albums ever, so from the moment King of Limbs was announced I had my expectations in check, because how could a new record top In Rainbows?

It didn't, but it didn't matter, I was happy with a pretty good short album. I think that's what hurt that album with a lot of people.

The only vocal that comes back to me even five minutes after the end of the album is True Love Waits, but that's probably because I already knew it from its wholly superior live version. Man this version of that song bums me out because of how much I loved the former arrangement.

I think the AMSP version destroys the live version. I can understand the affinity for the live (Oslo) version, with its acoustic guitar, but the AMSP version kills it for mine.

It's one of the biggest gut-punches I have ever heard in all my time listening to music. You know the story behind why it appeared on AMSP after all this time, right, tourist?

True Love Waits in its final form is the saddest song Radiohead have ever committed to tape, and for band with a cavalcade of sad songs, that's fucking saying something. I don't understand how this version could bum you out; even if you yearn for the I Might Be Wrong version, it just can't exist as that, because of what happened. And it's so fucking powerful because of it.

That's not Cymbaline.

:up::up::up:

Anyone check out the new Death From Above 1979 album yet? It's good and actually features and instrument called the guitar.

That's not Cymbaline.

(Stay is my underrated pick from that album)

It's not Cirrus Minor, either.

Waiting for Ax to say that Summer '68 is his favorite Floyd song, which I would file under the strangest opinion ever expressed on this board. Sorry, Ax. :)

Summer '68 is a really great song though. I have a weakness for Rick Wright's songs in general.

Checking out a preview of the new Wolf Alice. Other than one song that's totally out of place on the record, I like it so far.

Good. When I saw them last month they played a bunch of songs from it and I was very anxious by the end of the show because they just didn't feel that good. Maybe they're better on record.

There's a really good new album out from Rostam, formerly of Vampire Weekend. If you liked some of the more quirky and catchy instrumentation from VW but weren't keen on the inane lyrics about boat shoes and the Hamptons, this album could be for you.

Waiting for Ax to say that Summer '68 is his favorite Floyd song, which I would file under the strangest opinion ever expressed on this board. Sorry, Ax. :)

Summer '68 is a really great song though. I have a weakness for Rick Wright's songs in general.

It's just a fucking gorgeous track. Criminally underrated.

Though my favourite is probably, by a narrow margin, Sorrow. I will never understand how such a brilliant song came out of the otherwise almost consistently mediocre AMLOR sessions.

There's a really good new album out from Rostam, formerly of Vampire Weekend. If you liked some of the more quirky and catchy instrumentation from VW but weren't keen on the inane lyrics about boat shoes and the Hamptons, this album could be for you.

I am meaning to check this out. Kept meaning to listen to the record he did with Hamilton Leithauser, that got a lot of good reviews.

I think the AMSP version destroys the live version. I can understand the affinity for the live (Oslo) version, with its acoustic guitar, but the AMSP version kills it for mine.

It's one of the biggest gut-punches I have ever heard in all my time listening to music. You know the story behind why it appeared on AMSP after all this time, right, tourist?

True Love Waits in its final form is the saddest song Radiohead have ever committed to tape, and for band with a cavalcade of sad songs, that's fucking saying something. I don't understand how this version could bum you out; even if you yearn for the I Might Be Wrong version, it just can't exist as that, because of what happened. And it's so fucking powerful because of it.

I do not know why they released it when they did. You allude to something specific but I googled it and didn't find anything. I just know that they worked on it for multiple albums but never got it to where they liked it.

What I don't like about the studio version is the music and how incredibly slow it became. Also the music, for me, is very offputting. I especially do not like that low ticking shuffling loop that goes through the song. The chord changes feel awkwardly placed and the tinkling piano at times feels very arhythmic.

I guess since I was so incredibly used to the live version since it was one of my favorite Radiohead songs, the studio version just felt like something totally different - and it is. One version is very straightforward. The other version is very glitchy. I guess I just like straightforward more. (For the record, I also like the live version of Like Spinning Plates much more than the studio version, but I appreciated how they created that song in the studio.)

Well obviously as you know the song has been kicking around for ages. But a year before AMSP’s release Thom and his wife broke up; and then in the writing/recording process for the album she passed away (cancer). And so the song finally found its home. The live version is far too upbeat for the subject matter. I find it beautifully powerful, this song that was so well-loved for such a long time, took on a whole new meaning when his wife died. Heartbreaking.

I agree about Like Spinning Plates, the live version is far superior.

Well obviously as you know the song has been kicking around for ages. But a year before AMSP’s release Thom and his wife broke up; and then in the writing/recording process for the album she passed away (cancer). And so the song finally found its home. The live version is far too upbeat for the subject matter. I find it beautifully powerful, this song that was so well-loved for such a long time, took on a whole new meaning when his wife died. Heartbreaking.

I agree about Like Spinning Plates, the live version is far superior.
Nah, she died well after the release of the album. But your point still stands and I agree with you on the added emotional weight of the song/album in light of the circumstances. Just wanted to correct you on the details.

Ahhh I knew I'd screwed something up. I got it confused. It was the fact that the song took on heaps more weight after she died, when it was already super sad because of the breakup.

Never really noticed how rapey the lyrics to Voodoo Chile were.

uhhh what?

Well, I stand up next to a mountain
And I chop it down with the edge of my hand
Well, I stand up next to a mountain
Chop it down with the edge of my hand
Well, I pick up all the pieces and make an island
Might even raise just a little sand
'Cause I'm a voodoo child
Lord knows I'm a voodoo child

I didn't mean to take you up all your sweet time
I'll give it right back to you one of these days
I said, I didn't mean to take you up all your sweet time
I'll give it right back to you one of these days
And if I don't meet you no more in this world
Then I'll, I'll meet you in the next one
And don't be late, don't be late
'Cause I'm a voodoo child
Lord knows I'm a voodoo child
I'm a voodoo child

how on earth are you getting "rapey" out of that?

That's Voodoo Child (Slight Return). I think IWB is referring to this verse in Voodoo Chile:

"Well, I make love to you,
And lord knows you'll feel no pain
Say, I make love to you in your sleep,
And lord knows you felt no pain"

Well, I make love to you,
And lord knows you felt no pain
(Have mercy)
'Cause I'm a million miles away
And at the same time I'm right here in your picture frame
(Yeah! What did I say now)
'Cause I'm a voodoo chile
Lord knows, I'm a voodoo chile
(yeah!)

there ya go

That's Voodoo Child (Slight Return). I think IWB is referring to this verse in Voodoo Chile:

"Well, I make love to you,
And lord knows you felt no pain"

oh right, i got those mixed up. yea that's rapey af. gross.

sorry, it was like, saying "wow i cant believe Agharta and Kind of Blue are made by same person, wow" some stupid shit like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom