Radiohead continued - Subterranean Homesick Aliens club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it should have included the b-sides on the vinyl and CD. Tracks like Cuttooth, Fog, Worrywort, and The Amazing Sounds of Orgy are an indispensable part of those sessions, like Pearly, Polyethylene, Palo Alto, etc., which were included on OKNOTOK.

For some reason they're only included on the cassette, and even that omits Fog and Worrywort.

Looking forward to finally hearing a studio version of Follow Me Around though.

New old song:

I think it should have included the b-sides on the vinyl and CD. Tracks like Cuttooth, Fog, Worrywort, and The Amazing Sounds of Orgy are an indispensable part of those sessions, like Pearly, Polyethylene, Palo Alto, etc., which were included on OKNOTOK.

For some reason they're only included on the cassette, and even that omits Fog and Worrywort.

Fuck, it doesn't?! That's insane, those Amnesiac b-sides are the best of their career.

I don’t begrudge this rerelease because this is how bands make money, especially after a year of live shows made impossible.

However there is next to nothing worthwhile here. It’s mostly repackaged stuff just like the ATYCLB reissue. As Laz says, the new album is just alternate takes and one unreleased track that I’ll listen to once on Spotify and then forget. It doesn’t even have the ‘true’ third album / EP that the b sides and I Might Be Wrong formed.

I’ve got my original CDs and a double 10” vinyl copy of Kid A that cost $30 at Amoeba. Job done.

Unpopular opinion edit: besides Pyramid Song, You and Whose Army? and Knives Out, I can leave Amnesiac alone. Much prefer Like Spinning Plates from the live EP. Would have preferred the b sides fill out the rest of the album.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion edit: besides Pyramid Song, You and Whose Army? and Knives Out, I can leave Amnesiac alone. Much prefer Like Spinning Plates from the live EP. Would have preferred the b sides fill out the rest of the album.

Oh man, I Might Be Wrong is probably in my top 10 by Radiohead, and the title track, Dollars and Cents, and Packt Like Sardines are all wonderful.

Agreed on Like Spinning Plates though.

I thought about this for awhile because I don’t have Kid A on vinyl and it’s my favorite Radiohead album, but the third album doesn’t interest me much. I think I’d prefer a third album involved being the live one, but maybe with additional songs of similar recording quality with live versions of songs from that era.

the packaging better be nice, seems like I've jipped myself :lol:

I'm with you on Amnesiac monkeyskin, except I adore Packt Like Sardines and Glasshouse and less so Whose Army and Knives Out.

In the end, all that matters is if you have a good time playing the records and poring over the art book with a nice bottle of red :)

It’s definitely not worth it for me, but I’ve definitely regretted not getting the In Rainbows and King of Limbs super turbo deluxe editions.

Still backed as to why the b sides aren’t there though.

Kid A is one of my 5 favorite albums of all time and I’m not spending that money. My vinyl edition is plenty good.

I still don't have Kid A or Amenesiac in my vinyl collection, so I'll probably get pulled into this edition. Which version is the problem.

Looks like if you are in the US, several formats are stuck on a boat from Europe and won't arrive until early 2022.

My local shop says that they will have the limited-edition red vinyl in stock this week. That's probably the best no-frills way to get the two albums on vinyl.

So has anybody listened to the 'new' stuff? I've been listening on Spotify. I know you guys were trashing it when the tracklisting was released, but I'm enjoying it well enough.

The headliner for me is Like Spinning Plates(Why Us Version); it is essentially a studio version of the brilliant IMBW live arrangement, with some sound effects from the album version and a slightly altered verse melody. It's so good.

I also really like Pulk/Pull - True Love Waits Version. It's a mash-up I would've never thought of in a million years, but it actually works really well for me. Pulk/Pull was always the most skippable Amnesiac track for me, so I'd honestly replace it in the tracklisting with this version.

Despite its mythic status, I'd never actually heard Follow Me Around in any form. I quite like it. The guitar reminds me somewhat of Go To Sleep for HTTT. It is rather disarmingly straightforward for Radiohead, especially post-OKC Radiohead. It definitely wouldn't have fit either Kid A or Amnesiac, but it's a solid tune imo, glad to have it.

If You Say The Word doesn't really get going until midway through imo, but once it does, it's really really good, finally exploding at 2:39 and 3:49.

I also think the instrumentals - namely Morning Bell - In The Dark Version and How To Disappear Into Strings - are both pretty haunting, especially the latter...holy crap.

I'd say it's well worth a listen for any RH fan.

If we've talked about this already, I'm sorry. But this is stunning. Thom Yorke's son Noah has written and recorded the best Radiohead song in years. This is so eerie and satisfying to me. It's been out for a couple months now but I just discovered it this morning. Wow.

The Smile released their first single today and it's fucking fantastic. It's probably the most energetic track Thom or Jonny have been involved with since In Rainbows. It's got a great post-punk vibe and stream-of-consciousness lyrics. It reminds me a bit of how Nick Cave embraced his punk side with Grinderman as the Seeds further broadened their palette away from aggression.

Better than a handful of Radiohead albums and that's high praise. It builds so much steam as it goes along.

I'm more confident than ever that Radiohead's next album will be excellent and that they haven't lost a step.

Aren’t we overdue for a new Radiohead album? Crazy it’s been almost 7 years since A Moon Shaped Pool came out.

Anyone heard anything?

Aren’t we overdue for a new Radiohead album? Crazy it’s been almost 7 years since A Moon Shaped Pool came out.

Anyone heard anything?

The Smile are touring this summer, so it likely won't be in the immediate future. YOU may want to keep your eyes open for addition tour dates for The Smile though.....

Ahh I didn't think about The Smile touring. That album was pretty great. I would hope Radiohead gets back together to make music again at some point too.

I will keep an eye out for tour dates

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom