Radiohead continued - Subterranean Homesick Aliens club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both in the lower rungs for me, but I still like both. I prefer HTTT, I think it has a ton of great songs, but is sequenced poorly and has a few too many tracks. Amnesiac I don't find to be that enjoyable to listen to as an album, though I do reach for several of its tracks - Pyramid Song, Packt Like Sardines, Glasshouse - quite often.

In Rainbows
OK Computer
Kid A
A Moon Shaped Pool
The Bends
Hail to the Thief
King of Limbs
Amnesiac
Pablo Honey

I'd put Amnesiac above Hail to the Thief, as I think the latter is less consistent and has too much filler. I wouldn't put either of them in top tier Radiohead, but they go above Pablo Honey or King of Limbs for me.

Kid A
In Rainbows
OK Computer
A Moon Shaped Pool
The Bends
Amnesiac
Hail to the Thief
King of Limbs
Pablo Honey

Amnesiac is probably the first Radiohead album that I really got into at the time it came out. Packt -> Pyramid Song is my favorite opening duo outside of Kid A. But more than any songs, I just love the mood and atmosphere of that album. I think it’s their most underrated.

Kid A
In Rainbows
OK Computer
Amnesiac
The Bends
A Moon Shaped Pool
Hail to the Thief
King of Limbs
Pablo Honey

In Rainbows
OK Computer
Kid A
A Moon Shaped Pool
The Bends
Hail to the Thief
King of Limbs
Amnesiac
Pablo Honey

I'm glad someone else exists who would place King of Limbs higher than second-to-last.

King of Limbs is still a 7/10 for me even if it’s second to last, but the rest of their discography is just too good.

Same. It has like 2 stinkers but also has 5 absolute gems. HTTT suffers from having a couple tracks too many, but TKOL at only 8 songs is a little short so the ones that are subpar drag it down more.

Pablo Honey is one of the weakest debut albums from a great band I can think of. Just generic early 90s alt-rock with only 2-3 tracks that I'd consider essential.

I think King of Limbs is fantastic. It contains what I would argue is the best four-song stretch in their entire catalogue: Lotus Flower / Codex / Give Up the Ghost / Separator, and I enjoy the first half too. It just feels a bit slight compared to most of the rest of their catalogue.

I'd be interested to know how we all rate Moon Shaped Pool a few years on? I think it's terrific, really underrated and deserving of more discussion.

It's really good, maybe great.

But it ain't In Rainbows, which it resembles most.

And it's probably more consistent than HTTT, but that one had more great tracks on it, IMO.

I still think Burn The Witch is a lame opener, their weakest since whatever the hell was the first song on Pablo Honey.

Weird, I think Burn the Witch is fucking amazing. I think it was a tremendous choice for first single, although it's kind of a red herring for the record that follows. The video is amazing, the lyrics are great, and the music, particularly the strings, really get me going.

I think King of Limbs is fantastic. It contains what I would argue is the best four-song stretch in their entire catalogue: Lotus Flower / Codex / Give Up the Ghost / Separator, and I enjoy the first half too. It just feels a bit slight compared to most of the rest of their catalogue.

That run is certainly up there. I had KoL as my favorite album of the year it came out and still think it is a remarkable record (though in retrospect I'd probably place Tim Hecker's Ravedeath 1972 just above it for that year). If you replace Feral with The Butcher, it becomes even better. Supercollider is also great from that era.

Regarding Moon Shaped Pool, Glass Eyes is maybe their most underappreciated song. I think that track maybe more than anything else captures the mood of the record.

I think A Moon Shaped Pool is very good, but I rarely return to it for some reason. It has moments of pure beauty and still some great uptempo songs like Identikit and Ful Stop. I have no problem with Burn the Witch as an opener, and still find it and Daydreaming the more memorable (in the literal sense of the word) melodies there. I think it loses steam a bit towards the end with Present Tense and Tinker Tailor before getting to True Love Waits. Not that I don’t like those two songs, but they aren’t that essential.

I think my rankings would probably go:

In Rainbows
OK Computer
The Bends
A Moon Shaped Pool
Hail to the Thief
Kid A
Amnesiac
The King of Limbs
Pablo Honey

OK Computer
In Rainbows
Kid A
A Moon Shaped Pool
The Bends
Amnesiac
The King of Limbs
Hail to the Thief
Pablo Honey

Am I overthinking these Tik Tok videos or does it look like Radiohead may be on the verge of announcing something? A new album?

Last edited:
if you ask me, this 10,000% means we're getting new Radiohead. They always announce their new shit in this way. TKOL was weird newspaper stuff, AMSP there was social media movement. Fucking amped.

My Radiohead ranking

Kid A
OK Computer
The Bends
Amnesiac
In Rainbows (basically their All That You Can't Leave Behind, the band making a "comeback" by making some chill, catchy, unpretentious songs, but doesn't quite reach the heights or originality of their earlier stuff)
King of Limbs
Hail to the Thief
A Moon Shaped Pool (a bunch of cool textures in search of songs imo)
Pablo Honey

This might be the first time I see In Rainbows compared to ATYCLB.

Haha, I wondered if there'd be any pushback to the ATYCLB comparison. I like both albums a fair bit, for what it's worth.

Doesn't what you said above apply more to TKOL?
Maybe, yeah. HTTT, TKOL and AMSP are kinda all on the same level for me, and my ranking of them is just a gut level thing. I should probably give them all more listens though, and it's not like the "cool textures in search of songs" thing is some kind of all-encompassing rule for me. I love Aphex Twin's ambient stuff for example.

Popped in here after listening to the lads for the first time in a really long time. Saw some of the discussion from the beginning of the year about Amnesiac and have to say it’s by a fairly large margin my favorite album of theirs. The most sonically interesting and emotive music of their career for me. I’m not sure there’s maybe a more beautiful song from any artist I’ve ever come across than Pyramid Song? Also I was a big defender here of King of Limbs when it came out and turns out I still rank it pretty highly. Definitely top half of the discography.

Welcome back to the graveyard!

Glad we agree on the first part, and I think Pyramid Song is their finest hour.

The question is, have you come around on In Rainbows at all?

:rolleyes: lol what a waste of money

I love how the Pitchfork article is like "new album of unreleased songs" and half of them are just alt. versions of songs on the albums.

Back
Top Bottom