R.E.M. - upcoming album 'Collapse Into Now' / General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, you don't have to tear down my enjoyment of Bang and Blame, I understand it isn't a revelation, but I like the mood/groove of it, so sue me.

Don't tempt me.

zuckercorn.jpg

I'm worried* that with a lack of news, this thread will devolve into 'cockifying more R.E.E.M. songs and album titles.

*read: hoping

I'm worried* that with a lack of news, this thread will devolve into 'cockifying more R.E.E.M. songs and album titles.

We've managed like 7 pages mostly on the topic today alone, let's not derail my thread so soon, even if you argued its worth earlier.

No.

Would you really want me to hold you to a lowered standard?

No, you're right, I'm usually a volunteer deputy of the grammar police (sheriff service?) myself, so I bow to your correction. Hey look, I inadvertently demonstrated the difference between the homophones I screwed up.

I honestly find it very difficult to find a more kick-ass opening of 4 songs than that of Lifes Rich Pageant. You add The Flowers of Guatemala and I Believe to the equation and you have easily the best R.E.M. album.

Begin the Begin and Finest Worksong is the best run of two consecutive album openers in rock history.

Or it's gotta be pretty damn close, at least.

That sounds good when you first read it, and both songs are fantastic, but A Sort of Cock Coming and Where the Cocks Have No Game are in another league. One that R.E.M., great as they are, can't quite reach.

Also, I imagine there are many who would point to Sympathy For the Devil/Gimme Shelter.

Better than the Shuttlecock pair? Come on. Thunder Road is epic but Badlands isn't nearly as good.

In fact, I prefer The E-Street Shuffle/Thunder Road, but that still don't top the 'cock.

A good nominee would be Airbag/Everything in Its Right Place.

badlands is way better, imo. but then again i kind of thing springsteen is better in general anyway...

Just listened to Out of Time again for the first time in a couple years....I really like that last stretch of songs: Half A World Away, Texarkana, Country Feedback, and Me In Honey.

While R.E.M. albums generally start strong, this may be the best four song closer on any of their albums.

Okay, what about Shuttle Bloody Shuttle/A Sort of Cock Coming?

I guess the way I'm looking at it, the R.E.E.M. songs GAF picked are among their best songs ever. IMO, so are the two 'cock songs I mentioned. Cock Station is a great opener, but not really one of their all-time classics.

Odd that The Beatles can't really compete here. Drive My Car? Taxman? Sgt. Pepper's? Ehh.

Back
Top Bottom