R.E.M. have broken up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this in the comments of Pitchfork's link to the article on Facebook:

It's interesting to see subtle changes in the attitude Pitchfork has towards certain artists and albums. This is a prime example. Document was ranked #48 on P4k's Best Albums of the 80s back in 2002, with only Murmur appearing higher in the ranking. Now it has the lowest score out of the five I.R.S. albums.

It being 25 years since Document being released got me thinking about how prolific R.E.M. was at releasing records in the 80's.

1983 Murmur
1984 Reckoning
1985 Fables
1986 Lifes Rich Pageant
1986 Dead Letter Office
1987 Eponymous
1987 Document
1988 Green

That's six full length LP's, a B-sides/covers collection and a Best Of, all within 5 and 1/2 years.

Pretty amazing

Speaking of the reissues of the IRS albums, does anyone know if all five come in the same style of packaging? Or can someone comment on the packaging in general? I am going to start picking these up soon, as the prices are starting to fall a bit.

I only have the reissue of Murmur. I believe all have been the same as that one, but not sure. It's sort of a paper-y packaging from what I remember, but nice. Similar to the Joy Division reissue, if you got those. I'll try to remember to check it out tonight to provide more details.

Where have you seen them for a lower price? I still want to get some of them as well (mainly for the bonus concert discs), but didn't want to spend an arm and a leg just for that.

Where have you seen them for a lower price? I still want to get some of them as well (mainly for the bonus concert discs), but didn't want to spend an arm and a leg just for that.

Most of them are floating around Amazon used for 11 or 12 dollars a piece. The prices for new copies are still relatively high for my tastes, though: $25-27.

Speaking of the reissues of the IRS albums, does anyone know if all five come in the same style of packaging? Or can someone comment on the packaging in general? I am going to start picking these up soon, as the prices are starting to fall a bit.
No, they are different. Murmur and Reckoning come in a double digipak with a slipcover and no additional bells and whistles. The others come in a square paper-covered cardboard box with a booklet and each disc inside a card sleeve (and each one also includes a folded poster and a set of 4 postcards).

I'm pretty sure the reason for them being different is because the first two albums are under ownership of Universal and the others are under ownership of EMI/Capitol. This has roots all the way back in the 80s when the first two albums were being distributed by CBS and the others were being distributed by RCA (or something to that effect).

This has roots all the way back in the 80s when the first two albums were being distributed by CBS and the others were being distributed by RCA (or something to that effect).
I made a mistake and I can't edit my post now, so I have to quote myself. I had those companies mixed up. Distribution for the first two albums was by A&M and the other three was by MCA.

They made amazing music, however music constantly changes and moves on, and now with soundcloud and the download era - its changing much faster.
People are capable of being selective with whatever genre they choose to listen to as well, ie one doesnt have to just listen to pop music, one can listen to contemporary music (ie Bob Dylan), but someone else can listen to jazz or big band etc etc

but yeh, R.E.M.: They "pulled the plug" but they could have "gone into hiatus" and just be "forgotten" or "faded into the obscurity they came from", which would probably have been their preferred style if they ultimately had a say

They made amazing music, however music constantly changes and moves on, and now with soundcloud and the download era - its changing much faster.
People are capable of being selective with whatever genre they choose to listen to as well, ie one doesnt have to just listen to pop music, one can listen to contemporary music (ie Bob Dylan), but someone else can listen to jazz or big band etc etc

but yeh, R.E.M.: They "pulled the plug" but they could have "gone into hiatus" and just be "forgotten" or "faded into the obscurity they came from", which would probably have been their preferred style if they ultimately had a say

What?

I got the Peter Buck solo album on vinyl earlier this week. I've listened to it 4 or 5 times now. It's actually quite good. He admittedly doesn't have the greatest singing voice, but his blues-rock guitar work more than makes up for it. Besides, there are guest vocalists on several tracks.

Some Kind Of Velvet Sunday Morning is a standout track for me. :up:

Lot of Lou Reed/Velvet Underground references in that title.

Some Kind Of (Nature, Gorillaz ft Lou Reed)
Velvet (Underground)
Sunday Morning
I wonder if it's also a reference to the Lee Hazlewood song "Some Velvet Morning".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom