R.E.M. have broken up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like it. You should listen to it.

And who's been negative about it? I know Rolling Stone isn't the most trusted place for music opinion, but theirs is the only review I've read of the song, and they were overwhelmingly positive about it.

I linked to the new song a couple pages back, mofo.

How are you enjoying your time off from work? Catching up on new music?

I thought people here weren't loving it, but I might be wrong. ~ Amnesiac

Good so far, UiU. Done a bunch of "stuff I've been meaning to do for years" stuff around my place and on my car. Ended up spending a lot of money in these first 2 and half weeks already on crap like that.....and on music. :wink:

Nice :up:

I think most of us here would kill for a six week vacation...it's fun to think about what I could do with that amount of time off.

Seeing how old Mills and Stipe look on that R.E.M. clip makes me feel old :sad:

I was one who didn't really like the new song...it has a nice lyric, but the song style/tempo just reminds me too much of what I didn't like about the Reveal/Around The Sun years.

When I think about it, I like R.E.M based more on admiration for Stipe than their music. He just seems like a guy who has done things on his own terms and has never apologized for being eccentric.

I loved that Quietus interview. Over the past 20 years, I've read hundreds of articles about R.E.M., but I learned things from this one that I'd never heard before. I am relieved to see how relaxed and happy Michael is about the band's decision, and to know that the guys will always remain very close friends. If R.E.M. had broken up because the members hated each other, that would have been really upsetting to me.

I like "We All Go Back To Where We Belong" a lot. It definitely stands head and shoulders above the last half of that second disc (except for, maybe, "Supernatural Superserious"). Not sure what's not to like about it....kind of a nice Bacharach-y throwback.

The other two new songs are bores, but so are the selections from Collapse Into Now. They should have included one song from Accelerate (great album, but only the first single can stand up against the rest of the hits), one song from Collapse and this new single. That's it. It would have freed up space for five more songs on this compilation.

But I want Stipe to carry on making tunes

I'd be shocked if we never any more recorded music from J.M. Stipe.

Sure, it will be different, because it won't have the Mills/Buck backbone, but he's done soloish stuff before, and collaborations without the rest of the band, etc.

We'll hear Stipe tunes again. I'd love to see something of a full solo album at some point. I think that would be, at the least, a very interesting listen.

I can't imagine Michael not making any more music in the future, I really miss his voice. The new song is great and I love the album's title.

I'm a reporter for the White County News in Cleveland, Georgia. This is a column I wrote about R.E.M.'s breakup. I'd like to share it with you.

Deb’s column Nov. 17

Not the end of the world

You know you’re getting old when music that seemed cutting-edge only yesterday is now an object of nostalgia.
1991 was a pivotal year for what was then known as alternative music, and today the record industry is cashing in on fans’ yearning to recapture those glory days.
A 20th-anniversary edition of Nirvana’s Nevermind, one of the most influential albums in modern rock history, was recently released. U2 is promoting a super-expensive boxed set for the 20th anniversary of its groundbreaking album Achtung Baby, and there’s also a new documentary, From the Sky Down, about the making of the album.
I love both of those records. But for me, the most important album released in 1991 was R.E.M.’s Out of Time. That record introduced me to the band and sent me on a voyage of discovery that continued until Sept. 21, 2011.
That was the day R.E.M. quietly posted on their website that after 31 years as a band, they were “calling it a day.”
I was disheartened, but not surprised. Eight months ago in this column, I reviewed their latest studio album, Collapse Into Now. It’s a fine piece of work, but from the way the songs deliberately referenced and summarized musical highlights from throughout R.E.M.’s career, I sensed that they were saying, “We’re wrapping this up, folks.”
And when they refused to tour or make any promotional appearances for Collapse Into Now, I could see the handwriting on the wall.
Predictably, most of the news reports about R.E.M.’s breakup borrowed the title from one of the band’s best-known songs, “It’s the End of the World As We Know It … And I Feel Fine.”
I tried to tell myself it wasn’t the end of the world. I have all of the band’s recordings and videos and can continue to enjoy them. But it was hard to conceive of a world without R.E.M.
Can you be a fan of a defunct band? Sure. I’ll always love Nirvana, which came to an abrupt end when Kurt Cobain died in 1994. And I’m a huge fan of the Beatles.
But everything we appreciate about the Beatles is based on albums, films and photos that were made in the 1960s. They are a band frozen in time. Two of the members are dead, so there’s no possibility of a reunion.
The members of R.E.M., on the other hand, are alive and well. Yet the group has ceased to exist as a legal entity. At the end of this year, their office in Athens – staffed by some of the friendliest people you could ever hope to meet – will be closed.
This is a unique situation. Almost every band that has ever broken up has done so because of something negative: death, addiction, clashing egos, “creative differences.”
But characteristically, R.E.M. chose to end it on their own terms. It turns out that the three members – Michael Stipe, Peter Buck and Mike Mills – had been discussing this among themselves for about three years. No one else – their staff, close friends, families – knew what they were planning until right before they made the announcement.
Nothing’s wrong, they insisted. They don’t hate each other. They don’t feel the quality of their work has gone downhill. They simply believe the band has achieved all of its artistic goals and there’s nothing more they need to accomplish.
Naturally, I was suspicious. It sounded like when a politician resigns in order to “spend more time with family.”
But then I saw Mike and Michael doing interviews to promote R.E.M.’s 40-track “best of” album, which was released this week.
They looked happy and relaxed. They still finish each other’s sentences and communicate through silent glances. It was clear there’s no animosity between them and they’re at peace with their decision.
And if they’re okay with it, then so am I. It is not the end of the world as we know it. And I feel fine.

Yeah, I just listened to those for the first time a little bit earlier today.

I like the sentiment behind "A Month of Saturdays" but it is pretty slight and probably not worthy of this career spanning compilation. "Hallelujah" wasn't particularly memorable either, but I'll have to hear it again.

"We All Go Back..." is damn good, though.

I'm coming around to "We All Go Back..."

Also, I had a long car ride home yesterday, so I listened to "Collapse Into Now" in its entirety. It really was a solid album for them to go out on. A satisfying end for one of my all-time favorite bands.

I had $15 worth of credits on Amazon's mp3 store, so I just picked up We All Go Back To Where We Belong a few mins ago. First time hearing it, actually. Nice track.

Haven't listened to Collapse in months, I need to do that.

The three new songs don't match the other tracks in terms of quality, but that's not why they were included. They're just an incentive for fans (who already own all of R.E.M.'s previous material) to buy the album. (Hey, it worked -- I'm buying it.)

"Collapse Into Now" is really interesting to listen to now. The songs take on a whole new meaning in light of the breakup.

exactly, and the extra tracks on a best of are almost always throwaway from any band anyway. i just figured the only reason people got so uppity about it was because they know those are the last "new" rem songs they'll get without a reunion album sometime off in the future, and they wanted them not to suck so bad (note: that's not my opinion--that they suck something fierce. it seems to be plenty of other people's opinions. i've only heard "we all go back..." once and haven't even listened to the other two yet). they're going to hold them to a higher standard than they would ordinary extra best of tracks for that reason, too.

:shrug: i could listen to them, but i'd rather just go listen to country feedback.

We All Go Back To Where We Belong is a great track. The two video's are also quite nice, though a bit awkward.

I've really been geeting into R.E.M. lately. I've still got 5 albums to go.

Stipe is on Jimmy Fallon tonight. His segment airs in just a few minutes here central time. I'll let you know if anything cool happens.

Stipe did his interview and ended up playing a game of Password with Martin Short, Kermit the Frog, and Miss Piggy. No joke.

Only on Fallon would that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom