R.E.M. have broken up - Page 33 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #641
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Annie View Post
But I want Stipe to carry on making tunes
I'd be shocked if we never any more recorded music from J.M. Stipe.

Sure, it will be different, because it won't have the Mills/Buck backbone, but he's done soloish stuff before, and collaborations without the rest of the band, etc.

We'll hear Stipe tunes again. I'd love to see something of a full solo album at some point. I think that would be, at the least, a very interesting listen.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #642
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:55 AM
I can't imagine Michael not making any more music in the future, I really miss his voice. The new song is great and I love the album's title.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #643
Refugee

Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
Local Time: 06:55 AM
I loved Stipe's voice. My friend from school used to fancy him whilst I fancied Liam Gallagher
Old 11-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #644
The Fly

I'm a reporter for the White County News in Cleveland, Georgia. This is a column I wrote about R.E.M.'s breakup. I'd like to share it with you.

Deb’s column Nov. 17

Not the end of the world

You know you’re getting old when music that seemed cutting-edge only yesterday is now an object of nostalgia.
1991 was a pivotal year for what was then known as alternative music, and today the record industry is cashing in on fans’ yearning to recapture those glory days.
A 20th-anniversary edition of Nirvana’s Nevermind, one of the most influential albums in modern rock history, was recently released. U2 is promoting a super-expensive boxed set for the 20th anniversary of its groundbreaking album Achtung Baby, and there’s also a new documentary, From the Sky Down, about the making of the album.
I love both of those records. But for me, the most important album released in 1991 was R.E.M.’s Out of Time. That record introduced me to the band and sent me on a voyage of discovery that continued until Sept. 21, 2011.
That was the day R.E.M. quietly posted on their website that after 31 years as a band, they were “calling it a day.”
I was disheartened, but not surprised. Eight months ago in this column, I reviewed their latest studio album, Collapse Into Now. It’s a fine piece of work, but from the way the songs deliberately referenced and summarized musical highlights from throughout R.E.M.’s career, I sensed that they were saying, “We’re wrapping this up, folks.”
And when they refused to tour or make any promotional appearances for Collapse Into Now, I could see the handwriting on the wall.
Predictably, most of the news reports about R.E.M.’s breakup borrowed the title from one of the band’s best-known songs, “It’s the End of the World As We Know It … And I Feel Fine.”
I tried to tell myself it wasn’t the end of the world. I have all of the band’s recordings and videos and can continue to enjoy them. But it was hard to conceive of a world without R.E.M.
Can you be a fan of a defunct band? Sure. I’ll always love Nirvana, which came to an abrupt end when Kurt Cobain died in 1994. And I’m a huge fan of the Beatles.
But everything we appreciate about the Beatles is based on albums, films and photos that were made in the 1960s. They are a band frozen in time. Two of the members are dead, so there’s no possibility of a reunion.
The members of R.E.M., on the other hand, are alive and well. Yet the group has ceased to exist as a legal entity. At the end of this year, their office in Athens – staffed by some of the friendliest people you could ever hope to meet – will be closed.
This is a unique situation. Almost every band that has ever broken up has done so because of something negative: death, addiction, clashing egos, “creative differences.”
But characteristically, R.E.M. chose to end it on their own terms. It turns out that the three members – Michael Stipe, Peter Buck and Mike Mills – had been discussing this among themselves for about three years. No one else – their staff, close friends, families – knew what they were planning until right before they made the announcement.
Nothing’s wrong, they insisted. They don’t hate each other. They don’t feel the quality of their work has gone downhill. They simply believe the band has achieved all of its artistic goals and there’s nothing more they need to accomplish.
Naturally, I was suspicious. It sounded like when a politician resigns in order to “spend more time with family.”
But then I saw Mike and Michael doing interviews to promote R.E.M.’s 40-track “best of” album, which was released this week.
They looked happy and relaxed. They still finish each other’s sentences and communicate through silent glances. It was clear there’s no animosity between them and they’re at peace with their decision.
And if they’re okay with it, then so am I. It is not the end of the world as we know it. And I feel fine.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:20 AM   #645
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Pitchfork: Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage

They gave it a 9.4 (Best New Reissue) and didn't really have qualms with the track selection. They hated the last two tracks (just like everybody else), but dug the excellent final single.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:25 AM   #646
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Pitchfork is part lies, part truth, and part garbage.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #647
The Fly

Annotated For the People: A Track By Track Look at the New R.E.M. Retrospective | Entertainment | TIME.com

Time.com has a very entertaining track-by-track review of the new album. Check it out!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #648
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerdeb View Post
Annotated For the People: A Track By Track Look at the New R.E.M. Retrospective | Entertainment | TIME.com

Time.com has a very entertaining track-by-track review of the new album. Check it out!

given that it's time, i'm going to regard their opinions with a grain of salt, but this did make me laugh:

refering to shiny happy people
Quote:
Does it deserve a spot here? Without monsters? Hell, no.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #649
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Anyone read this interview yet?

Salon - Michael Stipe: Why R.E.M. Called It A Day

Michael says "Supernatural Superserious" is his favorite song and that the band's best albums are New Adventures and Collapse Into Now.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #650
Refugee

Here's another Mike Mills interview:

Interview: Mike Mills (of R.E.M.) Consequence of Sound
Old 11-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #651
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:55 AM
The other two new songs...

I like Hallelujah more out of these two.
They probably could have left these off and added a couple more tracks from Up, New Adventures, or Monster. (or Reckoning or Lifes Rich Pageant)

Old 11-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #652
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, I just listened to those for the first time a little bit earlier today.

I like the sentiment behind "A Month of Saturdays" but it is pretty slight and probably not worthy of this career spanning compilation. "Hallelujah" wasn't particularly memorable either, but I'll have to hear it again.

"We All Go Back..." is damn good, though.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #653
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm coming around to "We All Go Back..."

Also, I had a long car ride home yesterday, so I listened to "Collapse Into Now" in its entirety. It really was a solid album for them to go out on. A satisfying end for one of my all-time favorite bands.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:58 PM   #654
Blue Meth Addict

I had $15 worth of credits on Amazon's mp3 store, so I just picked up We All Go Back To Where We Belong a few mins ago. First time hearing it, actually. Nice track.

Haven't listened to Collapse in months, I need to do that.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #655
The Fly

The three new songs don't match the other tracks in terms of quality, but that's not why they were included. They're just an incentive for fans (who already own all of R.E.M.'s previous material) to buy the album. (Hey, it worked -- I'm buying it.)

"Collapse Into Now" is really interesting to listen to now. The songs take on a whole new meaning in light of the breakup.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #656
Blue Crack Supplier

exactly, and the extra tracks on a best of are almost always throwaway from any band anyway. i just figured the only reason people got so uppity about it was because they know those are the last "new" rem songs they'll get without a reunion album sometime off in the future, and they wanted them not to suck so bad (note: that's not my opinion--that they suck something fierce. it seems to be plenty of other people's opinions. i've only heard "we all go back..." once and haven't even listened to the other two yet). they're going to hold them to a higher standard than they would ordinary extra best of tracks for that reason, too.

i could listen to them, but i'd rather just go listen to country feedback.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #657
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:55 AM
We All Go Back To Where We Belong is a great track. The two video's are also quite nice, though a bit awkward.

I've really been geeting into R.E.M. lately. I've still got 5 albums to go.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:15 AM   #658
Blue Crack Addict

Stipe is on Jimmy Fallon tonight. His segment airs in just a few minutes here central time. I'll let you know if anything cool happens.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:10 AM   #659
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:55 PM
This is the longest break-up promo tour I've ever seen.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:18 AM   #660
Blue Crack Addict

Stipe did his interview and ended up playing a game of Password with Martin Short, Kermit the Frog, and Miss Piggy. No joke.

Only on Fallon would that happen.

Closed Thread