R.E.M. have broken up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He stole it from John Lennon. Bono stole it back.

Well, my first exposure to it was on Dead Letter Office, so I never really knew it as a standalone EP. Wolves, Lower and Gardening at Night are the standout tracks for me. I understand Ages of You was cut from the final tracklist, but that's a fine track as well and I think it would have fit.

My local vinyl shop has 3 copies of it, but $30 seems steep for 5 track I already have on CD.

Sweet set of songs - some of my all time favorites. Other than Gardening at Night, I don't know how songs can sound so frivolous and timeless at the same time. Totally unpretentious tunes offset by totally self-aware vocals. I love every song on there except maybe Carnival of Sorts, and it grew on me when I heard it on the Live at the Olympia set. CT definitely reflects a party vibe that the band started to ditch with Murmur. At least that's my impression.

And the cover art is in the 98th percentile.

I've always liked "Wolves, Lower" and "Carnival of Sorts" the best. As agentorange said, they played a killer live version of Carnival of Sorts at the Dublin shows in '07.

I'll probably buy the vinyl at some point, just to have it in my collection.

Great EP. It's a treat for a fan of REM first discovering it, sometimes well after the studio albums, as was the case with me. The songs (particularly near to the end) are a bit weaker than much of Murmur, but that beloved IRS REM sound is there in spades. Gardening at Night is one of their early classics.

Too bad these guys broke up. :( Along with U2, they're probably my #1 all-time favourite rock act!

And now for an unpopular (maybe?) comment... Was listening to Dead Letter Office recently and... a lot of it still bores me to tears. :shifty:

If the Chronic Town EP section was part of that, you should punch your own mouth.

I love Harborcoat more than anything off Murmur or Dead Letter Office, but if I took my favorite 10 songs from the latter I'd easily like it better than Reckoning.

animals_who_have_the_come_at_me_bro_nailed_640_29.jpg

I'm still in an R.E.M. mood, so I'm gonna ramble on some more. :p

After a very enjoyable listen to 'Up' yesterday, I was thinking about how Walk Unafraid is one of their most underrated songs from the post-Berry era!

As the sun comes up, as the moon goes down
These heavy notions creep around
It makes me think, long ago
I was brought into this life
A little lamb, a little lamb
Courageous, stumbling
Fearless was my middle name
But somewhere there I
lost
my
way
:drool: