PRINCE IS GOD: The Official Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Art Official Age is tremendous. A brief Prince record is one to delight in.

On a similar note, figuring out what to include on a 1-disc Prince 101 mix is a nightmare.

Tentatively:

9dychch.jpg

Focusing on pre-NPG/Symbol Era helped. "The Gold Standard" is such a vintage jam and perfect bridge to his more recent material that I had to include it.

Also, "I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man" ended up on another mix otherwise that would absolutely be on there.

I love that you included something from Camille.

That's some rare shit.

Starfish & Coffee is a deep cut favorite of mine. Probably would have tried to squeeze in another from the underrated Around The World In A Day, either The Ladder or Condition Of The Heart or maybe even Pop Life.

If I Was Your Girlfriend is pretty essential, I'd say. And as far as Prince's ballads go, Sometimes It Snows In April is a masterpiece.

Endorphinmachine would be a fun track to represent more modern Prince.

Last edited:
This Could Be Love is so good. First time I heard it thought it was some lost 90s masterpiece. Ridiculously fine for a meme-inspired song made by a 56 year old.

That's some rare shit.

Starfish & Coffee is a deep cut favorite of mine. Probably would have tried to squeeze in another from the underrated Around The World In A Day, either The Ladder or Condition Of The Heart or maybe even Pop Life.

I wouldn't call Starfish & Coffee much of a deep cut. I've known that song longer than most other Prince tracks, because he played it on Muppets Tonight. I gotta think I wasn't the only kid watching that show. It was a pretty memorable sketch.

Travis made me a Prince mix before we saw him live. I don't know how long it was, and thanks to Grooveshark, some of it's missing, but I still give it fairly regular plays, even though I'm much more familiar with his work, now.

And "I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man" 4 LYFE.

That's some rare shit.

"Pop Life" is one on the fringes. Hell, I even considered "The Future" from the Batman soundtrack for a hot second.

I have some prior associations with "If I Was Your Girlfriend" that made me not want to include it here. Definitely agreed that it's one of his finer ballads -- same could be said for "Dorothy Parker."

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Saw his show in Montreal on Saturday. This tour is way, way better than the "Welcome 2..." Tour. His backup band 3RDEYEGIRL and backup singers, which include soul singer Liv Warfield, are incredible and added some spice to the lineup.

Most impressive thing to me was the diversity of the show. We all know Prince can play funk, R&B, and pop, but the blues-rock and soul additions were awesome. He even "DJ'ed" a few tracks, including a brilliant "When Doves Cry".

How were the show announcements made?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Anywhere from 3 to 7 days in advance. I think the Baltimore shows got extra lead time.

For Montreal, the show was announced last Wednesday in the afternoon. Tickets went on sale Thursday. Show was Saturday.

While Prince played at the Bell Centre (the hockey arena), only half of the arena was used and none of the upper balcony to create a more intimate affair. So about 8K to 9K people.

Back
Top Bottom