PRINCE IS GOD: The Official Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a tragic year 2016 was.

A memory came up on my Facebook this week, from 2012. I had posted a status, asking if anyone wanted to come and see Prince with me. (I was 22 at the time.) There were two replies, both from men, one saying "I would, but I have a penis" and the other said "all the fags let me hear you say yeah". :|

A simple question about seeing one of the most revered musicians of all time, and the responses I got were incredibly homophobic. I remember being deflated by that at the time. I simply wrote back, "your loss".

I ended up going on my own. I was situated at almost the very back of Melbourne's biggest indoor concert venue, and positioned pretty much behind the stage, and I had an amazing night, rocking the fuck out for three hours, dancing on my own in the aisle. I remember being a little sad that Purple Rain "only" went for 10 minutes, because he'd been playing it for up to 40 minutes on that tour, but it was fucking sick, and if my memory serves me correctly Chuck D came out for a couple of songs as well.

I feel so lucky that I was able to see him that night, and I'm about one-twentieth the fan that Laz is.

Damn, "friends" sure can be assholes. Good of you to go see him. You probably would have regretted not going. I saw him at the end of 2010 and I was happy I did. He played all the hits that I grew up listening to. He didn't always do that. Prince was an extraordinary talent. A sad way for him to go out.

Glad you went anyway despite your homophobic friends, Cobbler. Because believe me, I know a fair number of people who never saw him live and as said above, they really regret it now.

I've told the story before, but going to one of his notorious afterparties and being about 20 feet away from him as he played mostly covers and non-album tracks with a band of brilliant veterans was one of the greatest nights of my life. And the admission it was less than the cost of the ticket for the main show we had seen earlier that night.

And I'm still shocked I found a bootleg of that small show, his fans are truly the best.

A memory came up on my Facebook this week, from 2012. I had posted a status, asking if anyone wanted to come and see Prince with me. (I was 22 at the time.) There were two replies, both from men, one saying "I would, but I have a penis" and the other said "all the fags let me hear you say yeah". :|

A simple question about seeing one of the most revered musicians of all time, and the responses I got were incredibly homophobic. I remember being deflated by that at the time. I simply wrote back, "your loss".

I ended up going on my own. I was situated at almost the very back of Melbourne's biggest indoor concert venue, and positioned pretty much behind the stage, and I had an amazing night, rocking the fuck out for three hours, dancing on my own in the aisle. I remember being a little sad that Purple Rain "only" went for 10 minutes, because he'd been playing it for up to 40 minutes on that tour, but it was fucking sick, and if my memory serves me correctly Chuck D came out for a couple of songs as well.

I feel so lucky that I was able to see him that night, and I'm about one-twentieth the fan that Laz is.

I was there for the final Sydney show. Ummed and ahhed for a while before mentioning it at trivia night and 2 of my friends jumped at the idea. You’re right, it kind of felt that the general view was it being a lame show to attend, but wow. One of the best shows I’ve ever seen, the fact it was pretty much all greatest hits was perfect for a casual at best fan. Very thankful I went.

Have you gotten better friends since then?

I have! But also, I'm still friends with a lot of people from around that time, and they've grown up. I think both those men would not say anything like that now.

Just announced, there will be a Diamonds And Pearls boxset.
https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/prince-diamonds-and-pearls-reissue-confirmed-full-details/

Maybe not the most interesting album, but the contents do look nice. Next to the original album there's also 1 CD of single edits, B-sides and remixes, 3 CDs with outtakes (and some early versions) and 2 CDs with a full concert. (If you're the vinyl type, 12 records in total) Oh, and a Blu-Ray as well with the live concert and videos.

Obvo9O2I7E.jpg

I'm looking forward to 27 October!

Back
Top Bottom