Porcupine Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not quite sure what to make of Grace For Drowning at this stage. It's a very meandering album.

Got around to hearing the first disc of Grace For Drowning. I agree with Ax - it's kind of experimental and tends to go in different directions throughout. That said, Postcard was gorgeous.

Still need to hear Disc Two.

Disc One > Disc Two

Mostly because I consider Raider II to be an insufferable wankfest.

I think the album is excellent, with Deform to Form a Star being one of my favorites of the year. Definitely better for me than The Incident, which was too long and didn't have many standouts in the vein of Lazarus or Blackest Eyes.

They've been well-represented in DI, definitely one of the best finds I've picked up from there.

Yeah, I just checked 'em out because of the Ax man. YouTubed a few songs, and really loved Lazarus and Blackest Eyes. The latter especially.

I think the album is excellent, with Deform to Form a Star being one of my favorites of the year. Definitely better for me than The Incident, which was too long and didn't have many standouts in the vein of Lazarus or Blackest Eyes.

I Drive the Hearse is a beautiful song and one of their best. But I agree that The Incident was underwhelming, especially since they made only amazing albums since Stupid Dream at that point.

I think the album is excellent, with Deform to Form a Star being one of my favorites of the year.

Deform To Form A Star is also very good.

I heard Disc Two, and then listened to Disc One again. Now through twice, that first disc is superb - I think work distracted my first run through. As for Disc Two, it didn't seem to stand out as much, but I've only listened once. When it comes to Steven Wilson and PT, multiple hearings are in order.

I will say that I get a distinct King Crimson vibe from this album, which shouldn't come as a surprise since Wilson just remastered and remixed their first five albums. I've yet to hear them, but supposedly the results were stunning.

A new live album (Octane Twisted, CD/DVD) recorded during the Incident tour is coming out:

https://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/product/169/4174/

I myself don't care that much for The Incident, but anything coming from the PT camp at this point is a good thing, since Steven Wilson is too busy doing his wankfest solo albums.

On the good side, the set features a full version of Even Less, recorded at that Royal Albert Hall show two years ago. On the bad side, I guess this means they'll never release that concert in full.

A new live album (Octane Twisted, CD/DVD) recorded during the Incident tour is coming out:

https://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/product/169/4174/

I myself don't care that much for The Incident, but anything coming from the PT camp at this point is a good thing, since Steven Wilson is too busy doing his wankfest solo albums.

On the good side, the set features a full version of Even Less, recorded at that Royal Albert Hall show two years ago. On the bad side, I guess this means they'll never release that concert in full.

I'll co-sign all of this post, except for the part about not caring that much for The Incident. Though I would prefer it if they had replaced a bit of the "song cycle" wank with the songs from the second disc. A man can dream.

Can't believe SW is doing ANOTHER solo album before a PT album.

There's a funny side, given that PT used to be his solo project from No-Man! Can't the man handle working with other people or something?

Supposedly Steven Wilson stated on Twitter that he plans to play some of the songs from the first couple of PT albums ("the solo ones") on his next solo tour... I have very mixed feelings about this.

Supposedly Steven Wilson stated on Twitter that he plans to play some of the songs from the first couple of PT albums ("the solo ones") on his next solo tour... I have very mixed feelings about this.

Well fuck, if he does that, he either better come to Australia or I better find a way to the tour. If there's one thing I badly want to hear live, it's more pre-In Absentia songs. The only pre-IA songs they've done at their six shows in Australia are Stars Die, Dark Matter, Even Less, A Smart Kid, Hatesong, and half of Russia on Ice. Or in other words, a pittance of the pre-IA discography!

Why is that, if I may ask?

Because I simply prefer Porcupine Tree playing those songs. Gavin Harrison on something like Synesthesia or Always Never would be heaven (just as it is in the new Up the Downstair). And listening to some of those solo concerts, I really hope they won't turn them into some 15-minute barely listenable prog-jazz hybrids.

But if they play it clean, I guess that should be exciting. Still, a PT concert with some of those songs in the setlist would be much better.

Can you imagine a 15 minute long jazz-prog version of Nine Cats or Linton Samuel Dawson? :lmao:

But yeah, I agree. If they do it, I imagine it'd just be a slightly jazzy take on Radioactive Toy anyway.

Having already heard Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, Deadwing and The Incident...

Porcupine Tree album I should hear next: The Sky Moves Sideways or Fear of a Blank Planet?

Go.

Both. Simple as that.

Fear of a Blank Planet is fantastic and possibly the most consistent of their albums (I find every one of the 6 tracks to be amazing), while The Sky Moves Sideways is a great trip. Literally. I prefer the former, but get both.

Oh, I find Up the Downstair superior to The Sky Moves Sideways. I expected some far-out prog avant-garde experiment, but I was really surprised as to just how catchy and melodic it was. Something like Synesthesia gets into your head all day long. So get that as well.

Can you imagine a 15 minute long jazz-prog version of Nine Cats or Linton Samuel Dawson? :lmao:

Only thinking about it gives me a massive headache.

Not unlike the effect of something like Raider II would have on me. :wink:

Both. Simple as that.

Fear of a Blank Planet is fantastic and possibly the most consistent of their albums (I find every one of the 6 tracks to be amazing), while The Sky Moves Sideways is a great trip. Literally. I prefer the former, but get both.

Oh, I find Up the Downstair superior to The Sky Moves Sideways. I expected some far-out prog avant-garde experiment, but I was really surprised as to just how catchy and melodic it was. Something like Synesthesia gets into your head all day long. So get that as well.

Can't argue with much of this. Really, if LM's in a Pink Floyd/psychedelic prog sort of mood, then Sky Moves Sideways is the way to go, while FOABP would satisfy desires for the heavier side of PT (or the short, melancholic song side, in the case of My Ashes and Sentimental). Though I do disagree with all six of FOABP's tracks being amazing; I love five, and then they drop the turd Sleep Together at the end. One of my five least favourite PT tracks, though it wasn't shabby live.

And Up the Downstair tops TSMS just because of Fadeaway and Synesthesia. God, I adore Fadeaway.

Only thinking about it gives me a massive headache.

Not unlike the effect of something like Raider II would have on me. :wink:

Hahaha.

Yeah Ax, I know you hate Sleep Together. Heretic. :wink: But we share a common love for Fadeaway so I still like you.

For a bit of dull trivia, that's one of Steven Wilson's favourite PT songs (Sleep Together that is)... But he calls his current solo shows "bigger and better" than the PT ones so what the fuck does that bare-footed geek know.

I was under the impression Sleep Together was fairly unpopular ...

It seems it is always being labelled as being the least great from that album, but I never had the impression people think it's a turd.

Have you heard the new SW live album? That drummer should be put on a leash.

Back
Top Bottom