Porcupine Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For 55 minutes long (talking Disc 1 here), it seemed to go by real quick. That says something to how well constructed the song cycle is.

Only one listen through so far, so I don't have a major in-depth analysis yet, but a very positive experience overall.

Hearing Time Flies in all its glory was fantastic; it's probably the high point of the album - certainly its centerpiece. It reminds me of Animals-era Floyd, specifically Dogs (the acoustic opening) and Sheep (electric guitar at the end).

I'll elaborate more later.

So I've listened to the leak about 20+ times, and I think this is one of PT's best albums. It's very different, and I like that...they didn't repeat Fear Of A Blank Planet.

Anyone else really loving the song "The Incident?" I'm practically obsessed with that song, been having it on repeat since I first heard it. It's awesome.

I Drive The Hearse is gorgeous.

My favourite track on the album. It keeps sounding better.

Also really loving Black Dahlia and Remember Me Lover right now. Need to listen to most of the main disc more, really ... I keep just playing I Drive The Hearse and the 4 songs on the second disc.

I listened to it a couple times and it hasn't blown me away yet. I dunno... I'm sure I'll like it more later, it's just that there seem to be very few songs that have a real punch to them. The album doesn't seem to have many ups and downs. Still, it definitely sounds good, and I'll probably love it later, cause I love almost all their stuff, but we'll see.

Could Time Flies rip off Animals any more? I'm starting to think that PT could play Dogs live and most people wouldn't even notice the difference anyway.

... you know, I'd fucking love PT to cover Dogs.

probably my second favourite album of the year and by far my favourite Porcupine Tree album. absolutely stunning. It's a very diverse album with a good mix of badass heavy stuff and heartbreakingly gorgeous parts. And it's catchy! Like Drawing the Line...not what I would expect from Porcupine Tree. when it hit the chorus my friend immediately said "Wow, this is very U2." :D Time Flies is probably my favourite. The transition from The Seance into Circle of Manias is AWESOME. I Drive the Hearse is completely gorgeous... gives me chills. I need to listen to the second disc more (I keep going back to the highlights of the first disc), but Flicker is excellent and there's a really awesome riff toward the end. Kind of Rage-ish. UNGH!!

I wish I could see them live. Alas, the only shows near me are during the week, and I just can't afford to with school. :sad: maybe they'll tour the US more later??

Damn, this sounds great on CD. Major difference from what I previously heard.

Now that I've had time to sink this in, I'd say it's one of the best albums this year. I wasn't sure right away if I'd come to that conclusion, but it's quite the remarkable record.

The songs on Disc 2 are great, and as much as I enjoy them, I wish they weren't part of this. The main album was sufficient, and because I worry that at some point there will be a downturn in the music, I would have preferred that these four songs were saved for whatever comes next, as a strong base to start from. That's a pretty good starting point I'd say.

Loving Drawing The Line, Time Flies, and the last four songs. And the music on the title track almost sounds like it came from Pure Reason Revolution's latest effort.

Still going strong after more than 20 years...

The Incident is so much more than I imagined. I knew I was in for a real treat but this far exceeded my expectations. So far my favourites are The Blind House, Drawing The Line, I Drive The Hearse and Remember Me Lover.

I can't wait to see how it sounds on the stage.
Four more days. I'm anxious!

After a couple of listens, I like The Blind House, Great Expectations, Time Flies, Octane Twisted and The Seance. Man... Time Flies starts out like Dogs and ends like Sheep. lol. To make it worse, the chorus: "And after a while you realize..." reminds me of "and after a while, you can work on points for style". ;) Nah, I think it's a good song on it's own despite the clear Floyd inspiration evident all over the place. Anyway, I think there is a strong chance of the rest of the tracks growing on me. But still I'd be really surprised if this album ultimately topped either Deadwing or Blank Planet for me.

The rest of the tracks are growing on me as expected. I Drive The Hearse is finally doing something for me. Drawing The Line is good but I'm not a huge fan of that chorus. Remember Me Lover is awesome. The title track has also grown on me. :drool:

Btw, I think Occam's Razor is completely dispensable and the album should've started with Blind House. Am I the only one who feels this way? Not a fan of that intro at all. Degree Zero Of Liberty also adds nothing of any value.

And just for fun, here's a Top 15 I just threw together:

1. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
2. Even Less
3. Anesthetize
4. Stars Die
5. Lazarus
6. Fear Of A Blank Planet
7. Piano Lessons
8. Trains
9. Moon Touches Your Shoulder
10. Radioactive Toy
11. Blackest Eyes
12. The Start Of Something Beautiful
13. Way Out Of Here
14. Pure Narcotic
15. The Blind House/Time Flies

I know I'm heavier on the post 1999 material. Still trying to get into most of the tracks on Stars Die. But you cannot deny that the list above is filled to the brim with awesomeness. :drool:

The rest of the tracks are growing on me as expected. I Drive The Hearse is finally doing something for me. Drawing The Line is good but I'm not a huge fan of that chorus. Remember Me Lover is awesome. The title track has also grown on me. :drool:

Btw, I think Occam's Razor is completely dispensable and the album should've started with Blind House. Am I the only one who feels this way? Not a fan of that intro at all. Degree Zero Of Liberty also adds nothing of any value.

I don't mind the intro; I like how it comes thundering in there. It's short enough anyway.

2. Even Less
3. Anesthetize
4. Stars Die
5. Lazarus
7. Piano Lessons
8. Trains
10. Radioactive Toy
11. Blackest Eyes
13. Way Out Of Here
14. Pure Narcotic

I know I'm heavier on the post 1999 material. Still trying to get into most of the tracks on Stars Die. But you cannot deny that the list above is filled to the brim with awesomeness. :drool:

Nice list. Your top 3 is the same as mine, although I tend to have the full version of Even Less as my #1.

Love seeing Pure Narcotic in there. :drool: It's my number one PT track.

I'm not too keen on making a list just yet as I am sure once the shine wears off, so to speak, I'll have different placements for the newer stuff than what I do presently.

So, shall we talk tour setlists, or are some of you (i.e. Serena) avoiding spoilers?

Sep 15 2009 SEATTLE, USA: Moore Theater

Set 1
The Incident

Set 2
The Start of Something Beautiful
Sound of Muzak
Lazarus
Russia On Ice (first half only)
The Pills I'm Taking*
Normal
Bonnie The Cat
Way Out Of Here

Encore
Mother And Child Divided
Trains**

*This is the middle section of Anesthetize.
**Trains was also apparently on the second set to close but they ran up against the 11 pm curfew.

Sep 16 2009 PORTLAND, USA: Roseland

Set 1:
The Incident

Set 2:
Buying New Soul
The Pills I'm Taking
Lazarus
Strip The Soul/.3 (!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Bonnie the Cat

Encore:
Mother And Child Divided
Trains

Sep 18 2009 SAN FRANCISCO, USA: Warfield

Set 1:
The Incident

Set 2:
Buying New Soul
The Pills I'm Taking
Lazarus
Strip The Soul/.3
Bonnie the Cat

Encore:
Way Out Of Here
Trains

Awesome that they've done Buying New Soul, Normal, .3, and Russia On Ice.

2. Even Less
3. Anesthetize
4. Stars Die
5. Lazarus
7. Piano Lessons
8. Trains
10. Radioactive Toy
11. Blackest Eyes
13. Way Out Of Here
14. Pure Narcotic

yet to listen to the incident:applaud:

howver my top 15 PT songs would be

1) Feel so low
2) Prodigal
3) Arriving Somewhere but Not Here
4) Collapse the Light into Earth
5) Pure Narcotics
6) Lazarus
7) Choloroform
8) Footprints
9) Even Less
10) Rest will flow
11) Russia on ice
12) Buying New Soul
13) Sentimental
14) Heartattack in a Layby
15) 9 Cats

Saw PT last night, downtown LA. Very good show, though I wasn't crazy about the new club Nokia. Sound was good, though not loud enough. Film accompanied most of the music. Guess I would compare them to Opeth and Tool, with a few throwback moments to earlier Floyd type prog and P. Gabriel solo (I know, anyone reading this is well aware what they sound like). I preferred the second half older selections a bit more. Recommended if they are coming to your town.

From setlist.fm (since I wouldn't know one Porcupine Tree song from the next :) )

The Incident (about one hour straight shot)

1. Occam's Razor
2. The Blind House
3. Great Expectations
4. Kneel and Disconnect
5. Drawing the Line
6. The Incident
7. Your Unpleasant Family
8. The Yellow Windows of the Evening Train
9. Time Flies
10. Degree Zero of Liberty
11. Octane Twisted
12. The Séance
13. Circle of Manias
14. I Drive the Hearse

10 minute exact break

15. The Start of Something Beautiful
16. The Sound of Muzak
17. Buying New Soul
18. Anesthetize Part 2
19. Lazarus
20. Strip the Soul
21. .3
22. Bonnie the Cat

Encore 1:
23. Way Out of Here

Encore 2:
24. Trains

About 2 hour total playing time.

Wow! They played the new album in full??? :ohmy:

(echoing dark side!)

Yup, that's what is meant by "Set 1: The Incident". They play the whole thing, take a 10 min. breather and play some older stuff.

Cleveland tomorrow! I am so excited!

Have a good time Serena. Get there early, and get right up front (in the middle) like your sig sez :) .
Wilson will be right in front of you most of the time :up:

And just a thought, thinking back to the show.... It would be beneficial, I think, if they would let the keyboard guy let loose more with the sound effects. Whenever he came into the song as a main component, the wall of sound went to a different and much higher level, adding another dimension to it all. Not in a retro way either, still very modern. Just a bit more of a face peeling effect. And that is good, imo :wink:

Last time around, they were doing a similar thing ... set one would be all of Fear Of A Blank Planet, then set two would be older stuff. Though it later changed to become one long main set, with the older stuff mixed in amongst FOABP.

I wish the second sets varied a little bit more from night to night, but on the other hand, Strip the Soul/.3? I can't argue with that at all. :drool:

I am back from Cleveland and here goes!

Setlist:
The Incident

Buying New Soul
The Pill's I'm taking
Lazarus
Strip the Soul
Bonnie the Cat

Encore:
Mother and Child Divided
Trains

---

I made it to the front row, almost center! I was a little off, more towards Colin's side, but THERE WAS NO WAY IN HELL I COULD COMPLAIN. I happened to be right in front of the free space where SW would come to the edge of the stage with his guitar, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.

Anyway, King's X was pretty good, I might check them out later. PT ended up running about a full hour late because their equipment got delayed and it affected the merch too. I'm guessing by the traffic jam we saw on the way to downtown Cleveland. I also think it's pretty sad that I was able to name the Autechre tracks they kept playing while we waited for the band to hit the stage. :lol:

10 pm - Porcupine Tree finally hit the stage and immediately open with Occam's Razor and tear into The Blind House. I think they were a bit ticked about their equipment delay, not that I blame them. But the show went on and it went on well. SW's video screen guitar thing is mesmerising to watch. It's so pretty to watch it swirl and stuff while he's playing. That took my attention for pretty much all of the time he used it (I can't remember if it was during Drawing the Line or The Incident, but I know it was somewhere in there.). The rest of the Incident, save for a few minor hold ups (SW broke a guitar string during Great Expectations and panicked a little bit.), was very, very excellent. I have an entirely new appreciate for the album having heard it live.

The second set was pretty much what I expected down to a tee, but I'm glad we got Mother and Child Divided instead of Way Out Of Here. And we also got Buying New Soul which really thrilled me too! Bonnie the Cat sounds wicked live, by the way!

Back
Top Bottom