Please ride the hype train with me AKA Vampire Weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So after repeated listens, this sounds like Mark Mothersbaugh wrote a bunch of background music for a couple of preppy school kids to sing over, to be honest.

Well they apparently added a local date here a hole in the wall garage type venue. That sucker is going to be packed.

The kids don't stand a chance of getting tickets if they don't buy them first day.

I'm liking it more with each listen. It's the real stuff.

The Strokes were a bunch of posers with one good album that was the same song over and over again. I don't know why they're getting compared to them just because they come from money.

They're opening for The Walkmen next month and I'm definitely going to try and catch the show.

lazarus said:
I'm liking it more with each listen. It's the real stuff.

The Strokes were a bunch of posers with one good album that was the same song over and over again. I don't know why they're getting compared to them just because they come from money.

I think it will only be clear whether Vampire Weekend are real stuff or not after they make a couple more albums.

I hope they'll have a chance to grow without the ridiculous level of press hype given to the likes of Strokes.

Well obviously they need to prove resilient, but my point was that their sound is already far more sophisticated than what The Strokes were doing. They have many different directions they can go in. The sheer territory that's covered on that album, and the mix of influences, is very impressive.

I know the Strokes suffered from an endless amount of hype (and two mediocre follow-up albums), but I still really like their first album.

And I picked up the Vampire Weekend CD yesterday. :up:

Yeah, that first album is good. But it's extremely homogenous. Which is fine, but they're not any more complex than The Ramones. It's cheap thrills.

These guys appear to actually be writing about...something. The lyricist is definitely an interesting guy.

Humorously, I think Room on Fire had a better reception at the time among actual fans than the debut, and was widely given props by critics as well. Interesting to see people acting as if it was a huge failure and widely hated now. What ever happened there?

Honestly, I don't know if Vampire Weekend will even come close to doing anything remotely interesting ever again (and part of me kinda doubts they will, where are they going to go after this niche of an album?), and I couldn't care less. If it's enjoyable and I like it, I'm cool with it. I will happily stand corrected if they release something fantastic in the future though.

lazarus said:
Yeah, that first album is good. But it's extremely homogenous. Which is fine, but they're not any more complex than The Ramones. It's cheap thrills.

That doesn't bother me. I like cheap musical thrills now and then. :wink:

corianderstem said:

That doesn't bother me. I like cheap musical thrills now and then. :wink:

Among other kinds of cheap thrills....

:yikes:
:shame:
:hug:
:applaud:

This feels so unnatural, indeed.

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
Humorously, I think Room on Fire had a better reception at the time among actual fans than the debut, and was widely given props by critics as well. Interesting to see people acting as if it was a huge failure and widely hated now. What ever happened there?

Honestly, I don't know if Vampire Weekend will even come close to doing anything remotely interesting ever again (and part of me kinda doubts they will, where are they going to go after this niche of an album?), and I couldn't care less. If it's enjoyable and I like it, I'm cool with it. I will happily stand corrected if they release something fantastic in the future though.

Room on Fire WAS a failure. Do you have sales figures for it? And the critical reception was markedly lower than Is This It?, even if it didn't get trashed. But go read the Pitchfork review, for example, where they give it an 8.0 but say it's a carbon copy of the first album, and feels like they "yawned it out".

Room On Fire is their most listened to album on Last FM and both First Impressions and Room On Fire are better sellers than Is This It on iTunes. And you yourself said the first album was good, so wouldn't a carbon copy be good as well by default?

Anyways, who gives a fuck about an Oxford Comma and The Strokes?

Guys! Hey guyz! OMG, you guys! I just bought tickets for Vampire Weekend. Me FTW.

lolololololololololololol

In related news, I'm liking the 'The Kids Don't Stand A Chance' a lot lately. What songs are yous likin'?

I'll probably give this a listen soon.

Back to The Strokes for a second, First Impressions is my favorite album of theirs; the first two albums do sound very similar, but they're both great, too.

It's starting to click for me.

And I'm glad, it's a fun record.

impy13 said:
It's starting to click for me.

And I'm glad, it's a fun record.

Same - this album and M.I.A.'s album both have in the span of a week.

Yes! You need to rock that Kala early and often. I don't know why we don't talk about her more around here, but that is a very special record. I love it.

My friend and I were working on getting the gunshot/reload/cash register motions right with the song in class the other day.

We're both quite good at it now.

Yeah, I've been unloading my sideways pistol and the ca-ching motion whenever I get the chance lately. It's pretty much a required song at parties that I or a buddy of mine have thrown within the last three months. It's a crowd pleaser.

Parties with good music FTW!

impy13 said:
Yeah, I've been unloading my sideways pistol and the ca-ching motion whenever I get the chance lately. It's pretty much a required song at parties that I or a buddy of mine have thrown within the last three months. It's a crowd pleaser.

Parties with good music FTW!

I have a feeling I'll be hearing the new Soulja Boy song more than Paper Planes at parties I go to.

YAAA TRICK YAAA

Okay, you know what. I was wrong. These guys have some great songs on the album :up:

M79 and I are making baroque hot hot sex right now :drool:

Back
Top Bottom